Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gym/Fitness/Active Lifestyle - Advice Needed
03-03-2012, 12:17 PM,
RE: Gym/Fitness/Active Lifestyle - Advice Needed
What if one were to be only into cardio and sweat heaps? Also swimming? Advice?
03-04-2012, 09:05 AM,
(03-02-2012, 09:45 AM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hi journey..... just use one or the other I`d say [not both together].... some guys don`t find scalp protector so effective..again, it`s a case of what works for one person, may not be so good on another. Other people are very happy with it.
I was working outside today ... was a lovely sunny day and I was using a heavy mechanical hedge-cutter and was surprised at how much it made me sweat......the Walker no-shine held up fine to it. It`s a pretty good tape....you should find the lace a lot lighter and at least you can allow water at/through it thuse helping to deal with sweat-residue over most of the scalp...it`ll be just the skin on which the adhesive material is sitting, that will be prone to build-up....as you can imagine, heat, moisture and acids in sweat, along with microscopic particles of skin, left in situ under glue/tape will inevitably lead to itchiness at the very least, so a regular -de/re is the key to avoiding major probs. with your active lifestyle. Cheers.

Paul, i am finally wearing my lace system yesterday, i can feel my scalp is breathing. I brought my own products to the the salon to use, ORWG Glue for the hairline and walker no shine tap around the perimeter. I can move my hair around unlike the injected skin. My hair is a little puffy for the moment and i don't know how to tame it down, used L'oreal non-alcohol serum and it smoothen the hair. However, Two problems that i am facing at the moment, 1) it is a little tight and i have a little headache . I am going back today for an adjustment and etc. 2) The ORWG glue is awesome but i can see ripples in front of my hairline. I am OK with it but i am hoping to go for a custom unit. I have to tell this lady at F&T salon is awesome, i found out after de-bonding that the other salon shaved off about 4/5 inch of my good hair on my left side of my head, it was uneven and i didn't even know about it until she took it off. She told me i should grow the hair so she left that gap open while covering it with the hair and styled it the way that you wouldn't be able to see the gap. She even provided me a with tutorial on how to put the tape/glue and how to debond and other tricks. I am impressed with this salon. In regards to the stock unit, the color is perfect and i don't need to use back2natural but i am aiming for a custom piece for less density.
(03-02-2012, 11:52 AM)sidd Wrote: to Journeyofman!

Did you have the TL700 ? I actually just got this one from John today and will get styled n up-wearing in next week. It looks damn good right now I must say but I have to wait untill it goes on top of my head .
What is your experience with the thin skin? What are the practical issues or troubles ?
I myself am a very active person but so far even though I work out almost 7 days a week ,( 4 days running 2-4 miles, 3 days weight) i dint ave any issue with bonding or itching . I re-bond once a week . i wear a FL presently but am quite unhappy with it coz of the visible knots from the top .
Having read your post , I am concerned if a skin system would be viable for me or not.
Kindly share your thoughts on your experiences.

Hey Sid, the skin that i have is not from John/toplace, i can't speak for that. The one that i have is from another salon, it is injected and 100% indian hair so its rough and thick. I couldn't show my hairlines cos its detectable and i always wear my hair down as you can see the edges. During the time when i worked out with the skin on, it felt warm and sometimes i can see the glue ozzed out of the edges. The base makes noise when you touch unlike lace. I was intending to wear it for 7-10 days, by day 4 ..it was itchy, by day 7..i can feel the glue if i press down the scalp... Maybe it is my body chemistry. The good thing about skin, it is light and sometimes i didn't realize i was wearing one.

Maybe u will like the skin from John, you should give it a try.
03-04-2012, 01:10 PM,
Just came back from the salon to fix the tightness from the day before and I still feel tightness even after the adjustment. When she put the tape around the back and side, i was fine but as soon as she put the ORWG glue at the front of the hairline even without stretching, the tightness came back. PS: It is a stock unit - SFS lace.

Anyone experience this and how to fix it? am i the only one?

Thanks!
03-04-2012, 06:47 PM,
Hi Journeyofman. I also have an active lifestyle (I go to the gym 4 times a week. I do lifting and also play basketball).

To keep it hygienic I use Got2BeGlued styling gel. I reattach daily because the G2BG gel washes off with shampoo, no residue, no mess. You can read more here:

http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=4316

Weight lifting using the G2BG is no problem. Basketball is tricky and I don't recommend it because the sweat loosens the bond. If someone were to try to rebound the ball, but accidentally slapped you on the head, the hair might fall off. Sweat will loosen but it will stay on unless someone slaps your head, etc. So sweat like from jogging on a treadmill is no problem.

I'm an advocate for G2BG because it's fast, convenient, cheap, and clean. You should try it out.
03-04-2012, 07:45 PM,
Hi journey.... it`s probably to do with the fact that, as it`s a stock, the fit can be a bit of a gamble...your stylist has probably had to still do a certain amount of stretching of the lace in order to overcome the tendency to ripple...your skin is `registering`the fact ..... my guess is you`ll become less aware of it after a little time, but it`s part of the trade-off in terms of how stocks fit different shaped heads..... give your stylist a bell in the next day or so, if you`re still having problems. Your scalp -skin will most likely get used to the sensation ..... I often got that `tight` feeling on top after a new all-over head bond in the past, but it passed after a day or two. Regards for now..
03-05-2012, 10:38 AM,
@leamon, Thanks for the tips and the link...i will try it out definitely. I have a bottle in my closet. I used G2BG on my natural hair before i shaved it all.

@Paul, you are right, stock unit isn't for everyone, only great to those who are blessed with the perfect shape head. When i lay down on the right side of my head on the pillow to sleep, the gap around lace will push to the left side. I have to find a certain spot so it wont feel that there is a gap, i have a feeling the lace needs to be stretch around the side and the back. I am going to do this on my own on my first re/debond this coming week without the help of the salon....im nervous. Im gonna try with all tape this time and see how it goes.
03-05-2012, 11:20 AM,
(03-04-2012, 06:47 PM)leamon Wrote: Hi Journeyofman. I also have an active lifestyle (I go to the gym 4 times a week. I do lifting and also play basketball).

To keep it hygienic I use Got2BeGlued styling gel. I reattach daily because the G2BG gel washes off with shampoo, no residue, no mess. You can read more here:

http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=4316

Weight lifting using the G2BG is no problem. Basketball is tricky and I don't recommend it because the sweat loosens the bond. If someone were to try to rebound the ball, but accidentally slapped you on the head, the hair might fall off. Sweat will loosen but it will stay on unless someone slaps your head, etc. So sweat like from jogging on a treadmill is no problem.

I'm an advocate for G2BG because it's fast, convenient, cheap, and clean. You should try it out.

Hi Leamon!
I read the whole post of yours on got2beglued and I am all impressed. I am gona get one asap now since I am about to start wearing skin .
Do u think it would work on skin as well as it does on lace?
and secondly is it the normal gel for hair that you are talking about or is there a special got2beglued brand product for attachment ?
is it the same ?
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/D...=260072003
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Got-Glued-Spikin...B000TG630Q

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwarzkopf-go...1258wt_906

thnxxx
03-05-2012, 10:41 PM,
Yeah that`s the one sidd...yes it will hold a skin system, but removal may be a bit slower, --- with lace you just stand under running water [shower] and it will break the hold and you can simply rinse it all off [your scalp and lace] Skin, being pretty much imprevious, you`ll have to wet the front edge, begin peeling it back gently, while allowing the water to get at the Got2b. It has it`s uses / benefits, but can have limitations...the edge/perimeter can tend not to hold down as good as the `middle` and profuse sweating can weaken the hold too, but it`s pretty easy to work with and clean-up is a breeze...no real need for shampooing or solvents.
03-05-2012, 11:47 PM,
Thnx Paul.

That was really helpful...

Paul can you also comment on my last post on this other thread,since you happen to be very knowledgeable about skin/lace.
Many thanx
http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=5066
03-06-2012, 12:12 AM,
(03-05-2012, 10:38 AM)journeyofman Wrote: @leamon, Thanks for the tips and the link...i will try it out definitely. I have a bottle in my closet. I used G2BG on my natural hair before i shaved it all.

@Paul, you are right, stock unit isn't for everyone, only great to those who are blessed with the perfect shape head. When i lay down on the right side of my head on the pillow to sleep, the gap around lace will push to the left side. I have to find a certain spot so it wont feel that there is a gap, i have a feeling the lace needs to be stretch around the side and the back. I am going to do this on my own on my first re/debond this coming week without the help of the salon....im nervous. Im gonna try with all tape this time and see how it goes.

Yeah, Journey--some guys get a spot-on fit which is great in so many ways, especially if they need a system in a hurry, they can have it within the same week almost, as opposed to having to wait for a custom to be made and delivered. Didn`t I see someone saying recently they cut 2 V-shaped bits off their system at the temples in order to deal with that `bunching-up` /rippling on the perimeter...... I`d be a bit loathe/cautious to do it in case I ruined the `look`of the cut-in etc. I think I`d soldier -on until my custom arrived, but that`s just me !
I`ve had that problem you describe with stocks in the past....to be honest, it feels far `bigger` than it is when you put your fingers to the edge.....it`s `annoying` though, but a custom-fit is obviously the best way for you to go.....just look at it as a temporary issue but you sure would be `conscious`of it..just be careful when brushing /combing too --don`t snag the lace and tear it. Let us know how you get on with your de/re when you do it..cheers.