Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make hair new
02-22-2011, 04:09 PM,
RE: How to make hair new
Hey everyone,

A few things to remember when trying to solve the dryness/softness issue:

1) An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

What is the best way to prevent the hair from drying out in the first place? Use the right shampoo.

Shampoos are the "silent killer" of processed hair. I cannot stress this enough. Shampoos that aren't acidic enough and do not contain enough conditioning properties cause the remaining cuticle to open and the hair shaft to swell, depleting the hair of valuable moisture and removing color in the process.

2) Water based conditioners are great (and necessary), but the key to preserving the hair is locking the moisture in the hair with a silicone based product after treating with rinse-out and leave-in conditioners.

3) There is only so much that can be done to maintain softness in processed hair. Since it has been put through several stages of processing and it no longer receives protective oils from skin, it will eventually need to be replaced.

If you are experiencing excessive dryness and you are using cool water and sleeping on silk or satin pillowcases, chances are your shampoo is damaging the hair. If you consistently use a high quality, GENTLE, moisturizing shampoo that is formulated specifically for hairpieces (ask the manufacturer if their formula was developed specifically for hairpieces!) you should notice a marked improvement over the course of a couple of months or more. You shouldn't expect miracles, but increasing the strength, softness, and longevity of the hair is definitely achievable.

I am currently wearing a mohawk that I cut from a Toplace full cap sometime mid 2010. When I cut down the base it had probably been worn for 5+ months. I would guess that this unit has had a total of 10+ months of wear. Almost ready to retire it due to some thinning in the back and frayed swiss lace in the front, but I'm pretty happy with the time I got out of it!
02-22-2011, 04:27 PM,
RE: How to make hair new
Yeah .. Maybe some of you guys should try frizz ease. check out the ingredients. They are pretty similar to more expensive products out there and probably work equally as well.