Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
life span of a system
11-13-2009, 03:24 PM,
Re: life span of a system
Use a satin pillowcase, a water filter, and the right maintenance products, and you can get quite a bit more longevity out of your unit than the average.

I have a full cap that I wore almost daily for 5 months (it is now over 7 months old) that I have to retire simply because the lace is falling apart. The hair is just fine. If I had ordered french lace instead of swiss in the sideburn area this thing would still look like it's 1 month old.
11-17-2009, 07:27 AM,
raks Wrote:At best, i get a little over two months.

hi raks when you say you get 2 months max, is it because the system has shed so much that you can no longer use it, or is it because it is falling apart or something.
11-17-2009, 01:50 PM,
summerbreeze Wrote:
raks Wrote:At best, i get a little over two months.

hi raks when you say you get 2 months max, is it because the system has shed so much that you can no longer use it, or is it because it is falling apart or something.

Hi summer.. i have been wearing lace systems only since the beginning of this yr. My first system(all french lace) and the last skin(TL700) shed very fast and wear unwearable. But the rest (have used 5 systems this yr), the hair was good but the lace was getting all frayed. The problem was was with the hairline
11-17-2009, 01:53 PM,
To be fair, i have also tried to do some tweaking near the front when the lace frayed a bit and this too did contribute to the earlier deterioration. Also, maybe some one here with more experience can throw some light on this. but it's my opinion that if you keep the hair length short , then the system lasts much longer. i usually kept it at about 4 inches
11-17-2009, 02:13 PM,
Raks,
In general it's true that shorter systems last longer. Just stands to reason---shorter hair has less stress on the base when you're combing and washing the unit. Plus less pull on the hair when you're sleeping. There's a lot of pull on the base when you're combing long hair.
Regards,
John
11-17-2009, 04:42 PM,
If you are only getting an average of 2 months out of your units I can almost guarantee it is because of your shampoo.

Every now and then you might get a unit with very poor quality hair, but if this happens on a regular basis it has to be fixable.

My first couple of full caps shed to nothing, and I'm about 99% sure it was from a sulfate free "all natural" shampoo I bought at CVS. If it feels like wet cardboard when you are washing it, it's stripping too much moisture from the hair. A good hairpiece shampoo conditions as it cleans.
11-18-2009, 02:17 AM,
JRob Wrote:If you are only getting an average of 2 months out of your units I can almost guarantee it is because of your shampoo.

Every now and then you might get a unit with very poor quality hair, but if this happens on a regular basis it has to be fixable.

My first couple of full caps shed to nothing, and I'm about 99% sure it was from a sulfate free "all natural" shampoo I bought at CVS. If it feels like wet cardboard when you are washing it, it's stripping too much moisture from the hair. A good hairpiece shampoo conditions as it cleans.

You know JRob, i think this might be one of the reasons. I think even the mild shampoos you get here(India)are not ideal. Any suggestions which is available over the net? Also, i tend to comb frequently ,particularly with the length being on the longer side i guess this too is adding to the early deterioration. I am contemplating going full cap next time....
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM,
Just because a shampoo is sulfate free doesn't mean that it's good for processed hair. The shampoo must have the proper pH level and conditioning agents (not to mention the proper ingredients that allow it to retain color) to keep the hair safe during washing.
01-03-2012, 09:56 AM,
RE: life span of a system
life span of a sytem, i really dont understand anyone saying they got 2 months out of a system,
fair enough its lifestyle dependant, i dont swim,ect...what are you doing walking on it.?
i just coudnt afford 200+ per 2 months, my first system im still wearing, and is 15 months old
on the 14th jan 2012, been wearing since 14 oct 2010.
ofcourse times taken its toll, the sfsl has dissapeared now nearly 75% from the hairline,

iv moved the system 1" forward to compensate,and this works,however i really need to move on to my new peice,its just so difficult retiring a olde freind,hairs also becoming thinner at the front hairline,to the point this bond,02/01/12 i can just see the white of the old glue that you just cant remove but dosent affect the bond.

i rekon loosing the lace from the front has taught me or persuaded me that maybee skin wil be ok for the hairline,as the poly when dry as a bone and scalp, bonds like bloody steel.
so my first system lasted me 15 months, but im retiring it on the next bond,

colours gone to redish tones, very subtle ones @ that,
so my first peice has turned me from apprentice to semi pro in 15 months.
will have to start saving for another system , so as to have a back up to my med skin system.

iv no complaintsa about wearing, although i kinda dread clean up date,
but once thats over its a relife for a few more weeks,maybee dreads the wrong word.

anty

Attached Files Image(s)

01-03-2012, 10:30 AM,
RE: life span of a system
don't you think the color is off and the crown is in a bad position on head?