Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glue carcinogenicity
12-14-2008, 07:56 AM,
Re: Glue carcinogenicity
One would think that a glue that suppose to be used on human skin, will need to have FDA approval to be sold on market...
12-14-2008, 09:06 AM,
Jonesy123 Wrote:One would think that a glue that suppose to be used on human skin, will need to have FDA approval to be sold on market...

Cosmetics do not require FDA approval, but they are required to follow labeling guidelines. I would think that glue would fall into this category but it appears from what I have seen that it might not.
12-14-2008, 09:31 AM,
Quote:Cosmetics do not require FDA approval, but they are required to follow labeling guidelines. I would think that glue would fall into this category but it appears from what I have seen that it might not.

Well, the reason I said FDA is because usually on any glue that I buy (for the office) it is written that in case it comes with human skin, the skin should be washed thoroughly... so at least I will expect a thoutough testing for glues that are intended to be on human skin... (for short term AND long term effects).
12-15-2008, 10:57 AM,
Well, firstly I'd like to specify that this discussion would not be a polemic discussion, nor even a philosophical debate:
I agree with hairykrishna, each of us must evaluate what is best for himself.

The goal of the discussion is just to exchange all informations in our possession about glues and their dangerousness. We are in the same condition, I think that it could be helpful for everyone to find the less dangerous glue.

For example, Debbie said that the white glues are generally thought to be the less toxic.
I always thought the same thing but months ago I realized that all white glues must contain vinyl acetate (there is no other possibility and in fact some factory declare it on the bottle, like Walker's in Safe grip, Acetoxyehylene)

IARC classifies it as "possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B)

Human exposure to vinyl acetate occurs mainly by inhalation or dermal contact during production of the monomer or during production of polymers and water-based paints [...]

Vinyl acetate is rapidly metabolized by esterases in human blood and animal tissues to acetaldehyde and acetic acid [...]
"

I also read that it was experiencing an evident rise in cases of cancer among the inhabitants of areas neighboring factories that produce vinyl glues and paints

For these reasons, I have doubts.
And this just referring to the most harmless glue category, i don't know anything about the other types..
12-15-2008, 12:54 PM,
Quote:I also read that it was experiencing an evident rise in cases of cancer among the inhabitants of areas neighboring factories that produce vinyl glues and paints

The toxic pollutants that these factories produce are not the glue itself, you know...
12-18-2008, 09:44 AM,
All I know is .. I have a mouth full of mercury fillings ..
and isn't mercury extremely TOXIC to humans ...???

Damn .. rumor has it ... doctors killed George Washington
by applying leaches to suck out his blood and then striking
him full of mercury ..

We breathe in polluted air ... live too close to power lines ...
eat foods that the FDA allows 5-12 percent of toxins and bugs
to remain in ... even our computers are killing us ...
and now we're worrying about glue Smile

Damn ... Makes you want to move to another planet Smile

I don't know about you guys ... but it does have its good side..
like when I go to the bathroom at night ... I'm starting to pee
white light ! Smile
12-19-2008, 12:18 PM,
ROFL, you do make a valid point count. I agree, If its not one thing it will be something else. I smoke about 2 packs of cigarettes a day, so some would fine me a bit hypocritical in my statements. I guess my general point is that in many instances, Companies will not do what is right unless they are forced to. If no one steps into an industry and regulates it, companies will do what they can get away with. Remember hot dogs? God knows what they used to put in those things, and they still would be doing it if it wasnt for regulations. now regulations is another issue all together. In the end, they end up doing more harm then good, because the regulations are guided towards certain interests. or better yet, the interests of those with money. But thats another issue all together.

my main point is. This industry makes a lot of money. And if there is anything that can cause health concerns, they should be forced to notify their customers. Just like any other product out there that has regulation. Not give blanket statements like "make the choice yourself" when you have no information to go by really. Even with an ingredients list, If you can hunt one down, that still is not enough information, because no tests to my knowledge were ever done with glue safety for how we need to use it.

regards
02-09-2009, 11:58 AM,
"[...]Vinyl acetate monomer is an important compound used in the
plastics industry.

It is also used in the production of resin in chewing gum.

The limited available epidemiological data on vinyl acetate monomer
do not allow for an evaluation of its potential carcinogenic risks
in human beings.

Carcinogenicity studies on rats and mice,
conducted prior to the most recent
International Agency for Research on Cancer evaluation [4],
have been in one way or another inadequate
to evaluate the carcinogenic potential of vinyl acetate monomer.

In the 1980s, a series of experiments were simultaneously
conducted at the CMCRC/ERF using Sprague-Dawley rats,
Wistar rats and Swiss mice.

A similar protocol was applied for all three experiments.

Vinyl acetate monomer was administered by ingestion
in drinking water supplied ad libitum at the concentrations of
5000, 1000 or 0 p.p.m. to
17-week-old males and females (breeders)
and 12-day-old embryos (offspring).

The treatment lasted 104 weeks in rats and 78 weeks in mice.

All animals were monitored until natural death (130-150 weeks).

The plan of each experiment and the significant carcinogenic
results are reported in tables 2-4.

In the tested conditions, vinyl acetate monomer was demonstrated
to be a multipotent carcinogenic agent, inducing malignant tumours
of the oral cavity, tongue, oesophagus and forestomach
in both strains of rats and mice.

A slight increase of the incidence
of adenomas/carcinomas of the lung
and of malignant tumours of the uterus in mice
was also observed [5-7].

Furthermore, the carcinogenic effects
were strongly increased when exposure
began during foetal life. [...]"
02-09-2009, 01:35 PM,
It says it is used in the resin of chewing gum.

Does that mean chewing gum is carcinogenous?

Often the carcinogenity of chemicals depends on the state in which they are in.

It is more than likely that chewing gum is not carcinogenous, meaning that the glues that contain this product are more than likely not carcinogenous either. That is just my opinion.
02-09-2009, 01:39 PM,
Just to further my point, chlorine is deadly, yet we swim in it.

Mercury is deadly, yet as pointed out, fillings are made from it.

There are numerous examples of this.