Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glue carcinogenicity
12-10-2008, 11:52 AM,
Glue carcinogenicity
Hello everyone.

In your opinion, which type of glue (acrylic, siliconic, superglue, white/creamy glue etc.) should be less dangerous for our health and in theory less carcinogenic?

Do you know any case of cancer or leukaemia probably caused by prolonged use of glue on the skin?
I read about many workers who have contracted cancer for contact or inhalation with adhesives and solvents, but only a couple of cases attributable to the use of glues in prosthesis wearer

Other than Toluene, we know that each glue can directly contain dangerous stuffs (for example, vinyl acetate in white glues) or can release them in the days following the attachment (for example, formaldehyde in superglues)

What do you think and know about this question?

Thank you
12-10-2008, 12:47 PM,
Re: Glue carcinogenicity
I would say it's quite likely that all brands of glue, even those approved for use on human skin, contain toxic chemicals that are released systemically, albeit in small amounts. In chemistry, they say that the dosage always makes the toxin. The question is not whether glues contain toxins - which they no doubt do, along with dyes, shampoos, and most other hair accessories - but which toxins and at what concentration, as well as whether or not they build up in the body over time.

For example, sodium laurel sulfate is a surfactant and foaming agent used in nearly every bathroom product. It's also applied to the skin of labrats to induce cancerous lesions. The reason benzoyl peroxide works so well against acne is because it generates a tsunami of free radicals to kill the bacteria in your pores. The same can be said of chlorine, a powerful oxidant in your drinking water. You just happen to be able to deal with the assault alot better than microorganisms can.

I wouldn't be surprised if certain ingredients behaved as endocrine disruptors or caused low-grade systemic inflammation. You just have to decide whether any of this is worse than being bald. Personally, I don't care to be a shining model of health if I can't even enjoy my life or feel good about myself because I'm ugly. My well-being is also an integral part of my health. None of us is going to live forever, but many of us are willing to take risks to live the happiest lives we can.

I once wrote a story about an elderly lady who took great pains throughout her life never to set foot in the sun, so as to preserve the youthfulness of her skin. On her deathbed, a young nurse marvels at her beautiful and luxuriant skin. How do you think the dying lady feels? Do you think she gives a damn about her beauty, or does she regret never having taken an afternoon stroll in the park, etc.?
12-10-2008, 01:13 PM,
wow, hairykrishna...that was beautifully said. thank you!!
the only thing I can add is that the white glues are GENERALLY thought of to be the less toxic of the glues. they contain less chemicals, have little to no odor ..... they are GENERALLY said to be the safer of the glues.
Everybody reacts differently to different things.....so as hairykrishna so eloquently stated, one must weigh the options for themselves and decide what is best for them.
DebbieS.
12-10-2008, 03:35 PM,
hairykrishna Wrote:<SNIP>

For example, sodium laurel sulfate is a surfactant and foaming agent used in nearly every bathroom product. It's also applied to the skin of labrats to induce cancerous lesions.
<SNIP>

Absolutely hog wash.
SLF does not cause cancerous lesions.
Just another one of the 'net myths:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pathguy.com/sls.htm">http://www.pathguy.com/sls.htm</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa090998.htm">http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/w ... 090998.htm</a><!-- m -->

Smile
Fred
12-10-2008, 04:35 PM,
Thanks for setting me straight, Fred. I can't cite the name of the study and don't have time now to look it up, but I recall reading an SLS toxicology report using the rabbit ear assay that showed precancerous changes in the skin. Somewhere I also got the idea that SLS was used in laboratory settings as an irritant. I see now that more recent toxicology reports have found no evidence for carcinogenicity. I was wrong!

However, it's important to realize that these reports address the safety of SLS only in isolation of other chemicals. In a real-world setting, SLS is used in combination with many other ingredients that may combine to form, e.g., nitrosamines, which have a more credible (but not conclusive) cancer link. And regardless of its carcinogenicity, it has been shown to gather in brain and liver tissue, as well as cause damage to developing cornea. But the only relevant consideration is whether enough of it gathers in enough tissue over a lifetime to disrupt normal biological processes. I think we can pretty safely say that SLS is not going to hurt anyone who shampoos on an ordinary basis. Just as we can say that bisphenol-A probably won't hurt those of us who drink bottled water, but what about the guy who microwaves his dinner in tupperware every night and only eats canned goods? Is that comparable to the guy who leaves glue in contact with his scalp for weeks at a time?

Finally, its carcinogenicity is independent of the point I was trying to make, which is that our environment is filled with all sorts of mini risks and dangers, some of which are worth getting worked up over and some of which are just a wate of time.

All this typing has made me hungry. I think I'll go eat a non-organic apple.
12-12-2008, 10:23 AM,
damn this thread is really a downer. I want to comment on something though that kind of annoys me. when i hear the stuff about "weigh the risks". Determine things for youself etc. What is there to determine? On the bottle of glue all it ever says is acrylic polymer. Thats it. and has been said continually that the glue is safe to use on skin. Then u hear, well. yeah it might contain toxins but measure the risks. what risks? If there are any risks shouldn't that info be available. I never get any warnings about anything other then toluene. So how can anyone measure risks if they dont even know there is any?
12-12-2008, 12:44 PM,
Xeon005 Wrote:damn this thread is really a downer. I want to comment on something though that kind of annoys me. when i hear the stuff about "weigh the risks". Determine things for youself etc. What is there to determine? On the bottle of glue all it ever says is acrylic polymer. Thats it. and has been said continually that the glue is safe to use on skin. Then u hear, well. yeah it might contain toxins but measure the risks. what risks? If there are any risks shouldn't that info be available. I never get any warnings about anything other then toluene. So how can anyone measure risks if they dont even know there is any?

Simply have whoever supplies the glue for you send you an ingredients list and/or the MSDS on everything in it.
They have to....

Smile
Fred
12-13-2008, 07:44 AM,
well i asked hairdirect one time what ingredients were in the blue tape, and I never got an answer. They said they dont know. lol.

I guess my point is, If there is any ingredients in the glues we wear that might cause potential harm.. Or enough harm to even discuss, it should be on the bottle. If there is more in a glue then acrylic polymer, then state it up front. Put an ingredients list on the package. The hair industry makes more then enough money, They should be regulating their shit a little bit.
12-13-2008, 10:26 AM,
FredTJ Wrote:
Xeon005 Wrote:damn this thread is really a downer. I want to comment on something though that kind of annoys me. when i hear the stuff about "weigh the risks". Determine things for youself etc. What is there to determine? On the bottle of glue all it ever says is acrylic polymer. Thats it. and has been said continually that the glue is safe to use on skin. Then u hear, well. yeah it might contain toxins but measure the risks. what risks? If there are any risks shouldn't that info be available. I never get any warnings about anything other then toluene. So how can anyone measure risks if they dont even know there is any?

Simply have whoever supplies the glue for you send you an ingredients list and/or the MSDS on everything in it.
They have to....

Smile
Fred

I don't know how it works with adhesives. You would think that it would fall under the same labeling requirements as cosmetics (which I am getting an education in as we speak), but I have yet to see a full ingredients list on any of the tapes or glues we use.

I do now that the MSDS sheet is not generated for consumers, it is mandated to protect workers who produce and handle the product. As for anyone being REQUIRED to send it to you....I'm not sure about that but I would like to know, just for my own info.
12-14-2008, 07:25 AM,
I think companies will do whatever they can get away with when they are not forced or regulated. So they will do whatever they can for the cheapest cost, and then charge you top dollar.