Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chemically straightening hair
10-15-2010, 07:50 AM,
chemically straightening hair
I remember JRob once saying that he prefered straight hair to curly hair because the replacement looked more realistic. I have curly hair which I straighten with tongs. However when I eventually get a hair replacement i would like to style my hair to try and blend better but even if I used a little bit of leave in conditioner my own hair would curl. Please does anyone have any expereince with chemically straightening their hair. Just to clarify I would order a straight hair system.
10-16-2010, 05:38 AM,
RE: chemically straightening hair
Hi person, I haven`t any experience of it myself, but one thing struck me about your post --do you just not like your curly hair at all? It just seems to me that you`d be better off ordering curly hair to match your own hair rather than trying to `` mess`` with your own to get it to match a system`s hair -- I`m not being `smart` or anything like that but maybe it`s best to try work with what you`ve got rather than trying to force your growing hair into some shape which is not it`s natural nature you know ? Might just be a load of hassle for you... unless you really hate your hair [ which it sounds like you don`t ] I`d try to `work`with it you know ? Regards, Paul.
10-16-2010, 05:59 AM,
i used to straighen my naturaly frizzy hair along time ago, 1992.
yes by all means you can chemicly straighen naturaly growing hair.
but once you subject the hair to moisture it will retun to its natural state.
the bain of my life or so i thought.
in later years i straighened my hair as i dried it with mouse and a barrel bristtle brush.
worked a treat, it wasent megga straight as it chemicaly would have been but it was a compromise on chemical or product route.
10-16-2010, 01:00 PM,
(10-15-2010, 07:50 AM)person Wrote: I remember JRob once saying that he prefered straight hair to curly hair because the replacement looked more realistic. I have curly hair which I straighten with tongs. However when I eventually get a hair replacement i would like to style my hair to try and blend better but even if I used a little bit of leave in conditioner my own hair would curl. Please does anyone have any expereince with chemically straightening their hair. Just to clarify I would order a straight hair system.

I have used both a relaxer and a perming solution to change the direction of hairpiece hair. The relaxer seems to make the hair limp, whereas the perming solution redirects the hair but retains its original integrity.

I'm not sure about straightening your own growing hair. You might want to consult a stylist before you proceed.
10-18-2010, 06:45 AM,
(10-16-2010, 01:00 PM)JRob Wrote:
(10-15-2010, 07:50 AM)person Wrote: I remember JRob once saying that he prefered straight hair to curly hair because the replacement looked more realistic. I have curly hair which I straighten with tongs. However when I eventually get a hair replacement i would like to style my hair to try and blend better but even if I used a little bit of leave in conditioner my own hair would curl. Please does anyone have any expereince with chemically straightening their hair. Just to clarify I would order a straight hair system.

I have used both a relaxer and a perming solution to change the direction of hairpiece hair. The relaxer seems to make the hair limp, whereas the perming solution redirects the hair but retains its original integrity.

I'm not sure about straightening your own growing hair. You might want to consult a stylist before you proceed.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Still not really sure what to do though Sad . The main reason I am thinking of chemically straightening it is because you guys have told me hair replacement looks more realistic when you use styling products. If I use these products my hair would inevitably go curly again after using tongs. I was therefore thinking of using a very mild relaxer on my horseshoe hair so after styling it's still fairly straight looking. Any more comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

ps. Just to confirm guys I am not in any way wanting to relax the hairpiece hair; I am talking about relaxing my own hair and ordering a more straighter hair replacement. Hope this all makes sense. So relax my own hair; use straight hair hairpiece; then use gel or whatever.
I was thinking of a product such as this. It seems quite respected; what you people think?

http://www.boots.com/en/Organic-Root-Sti...ir_870892/
10-18-2010, 07:26 AM,
Hi Person --I still maintain you`re better off working with what you`ve got. Even if you straighten your growing hair, it will not stay that way as it grows out from the scalp -- the new hair will be curly again, so it will be an on-going thing. It`s easier to order system hair which matches your own hair, rather than trying to `beat`your own hair into conforming to the system hair. I don`t use styling products at all ....only leave -in conditioner once a week or so, and an occasional shampoo and conditioning. I simply mist the system nightly with water from an atomiser bottle, fluff it up a bit with the finger tips and allow to dry naturally --you could also mist it in the morning before you go out to work or wherever, if you have slept on it and don`t want to get it drenched in the shower every morning. In a nutshell, if you analyse it, people with hair loss, wear systems in order to imitate/ replace the portion which is gone ---- practically everyone orders similar hair to what was lost, in order to replicate what they used to look like with all their own hair. The only exception really would be in the case of a full -cap wearer, where the individual could decide to change their style completely, and there are no worries about blending onto existing hair. My 2-cents worth is to order similar hair to what is growing to keep things as simple as possible. Wearing can be a steep learning curve for a newbie ---there are new things to be learned, tried, and gotten used to. Having to get your own hair chemically -treated every so often could end up being a big `pain`for you and you`d be constantly `worried` about the blend-in.Just get replacement hair which closely resembles your own for an easier life --- cheers, Paul.
10-18-2010, 09:39 AM,
alcohol-free hair products
searched the forum, but searching alcohol free in a hair system forum is a nightmare.
the subject of the post says it all.
very basic Q,where can i buy alcohol-free gel?spray leave in conditioner, shampoo.
i knew this was not a high street staple commonly found when i trawled , superdrugg, boots,looking for alcohol-free on the label.
i didnt want to ask for alcohol-free (lol) as i thought it might set of alarm bells , like ohh hair system wearers use alcohol-free products,
wacky thinking i know , but thats what i thought.
so not only is it costly to wear hair , now i find the product has to be alcohol-free,
i know alot of users here order supplies from the states.and e bay.
are there any suppliers lurking in the shadows of cyberspace i dont know of surley there are.
i'v searched ect ct.
i could buy from my salon, but that would be pricey.
hopefuylly this post , thread will help others if you can chip in with advice.
thanks in advance anty.
10-18-2010, 10:50 AM,
Hi Anthony, very briefly, if you don`t want to order from abroad and buy locally, you could consider Lòreal ``invisifix`` gel [pic attached, and a pic of the list of ingredients on the reverse of the container] which does not have alcohol, as far as I can see.
I use Revlon ``Equave 2 -phase conditioner`` [pic attached] which I find to be good.
Shampoos -- I`ve been told by the owner of the last Salon I used, that Johnsons baby shampoo is very mild on the hair [ I`d still use it sparingly] and I have used Lòreal shampoo for coloured hair too, without any visual detrimental effects [such as colour lifting ] It`s in a red bottle. I also use Lòreal conditioner, also in a red bottle. The Lòreal products are a little expensive, but they do last a long time, as you are not using them daily, and when you do, it`s quite sparingly [about a teaspoonful is all I ever add to the water. The ` Revlon` conditioner is about 12 Euros or 10£ sterling.
Hope that is of use... Paul.
p.s. The full title of the shampoo is `Colour protect``, in a red bottle.
I haven`t used the Invisifix gel for a long time, but I don`t think any of the ingredients listed, are on a no-no list for system hair --if anyone spots any which would be best avoided, please add a comment. When I used it in the past, I had no issues with it.

Attached Files Image(s)

10-18-2010, 07:38 PM,
thankyou very much for taking the time to not only answer, but upload helpfull pics.
that will be of great use to me and many others.cheers
10-18-2010, 08:20 PM,
No bother at all. Interestingly enough, I am now listening to a radio programme and they are covering the subject of the ``12 -week blow-dry`` [this is news to me] But apparently this hair-do originated in Brazil and was to straighten `frizzy`hair. Apparently the Irish medicines Board has ordered the withdrawal of the products used, due to concerns of high levels of Formaldehyde in some products --up to 12 %. in some cases.....there is a guy on now from the Hair dressers side saying that most hair -straightening products have less than .2% and are `safe`and that the chemical is also in lipstick and other cosmetics. Apparently it`s a precautionary step, to allow an investigation into the chemicals used... so to the original poster of this thread [ person ] I`d just say maybe better not to be using those chemicals on a regular basis. Apparently this is only happening here as a precaution at the moment, but it makes you think. Paul.