Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Piece just cut in, need help!! (photos)
09-13-2014, 05:54 AM,
RE: First Piece just cut in, need help!! (photos)
I have to disagree with you Minneapolis. My first piece was a French lace front and it disappeared almost perfectly into 3 layers of ORWG. Only if you were to shine a very strong light directly downward would you be able to see the lace. That being said though, I did switch to Swiss and it is completely undetectable now. But, what I really disagree with is your statement that a hairdresser should do your template. I did my own template and my hairline is perfect. You can see by all the pictures I've posted, including a very very close close-up picture, that it's spot on. MANY of the people on this forum do their own templates and they come out exceptionally well. The best thing to do is make a template and then post pictures of it and people can advise corrections and tweaks to it.

Now, NoHairNoFair, you made a couple newbie mistakes. No big deal, you'll get it sorted out. That's what we're here for on this forum. Your biggest mistake was not having all your supplies prior to getting your piece cut in. I bought a years worth of glue, lace release, and Pure solvent remover, plus some 99% isopropyl alcohol before I got my first piece cut in. You want to make sure you have ALL your supplies in order before you take the plunge. Make sure you always have AT LEAST one back up of each supply that you use. NEVER let yourself get down to using that last bottle of something before you have another, either on hand or at least on the way. You also want to make sure that you have a backup piece as well. You don't want to be stuck with only one piece, especially as you start out.

As for the piece you have now, you can make some corrections to it. First, if you shave your hairline smooth and detach at least once a week, you'll have no problem wearing your piece where you want it to be. Second, you can make adjustments to the piece itself. You can adjust the hairline so that it has more of a curve. Just make sure you use very sharp scissors and cut only a little at a time and then place it on your head to see if you need a little more arch. Then you can get precision tweezers and pluck some of the hairs to thin the hairline a little to graduate it. Just go sow and be careful and you should be good to go. Wash your piece a couple of times, but make sure you're gentle with it, and it should settle down a bit and look less wiggy. I wash my piece only twice a week and never on my head. I use a wax for styling which works great for me. I just spritz a little water on it in the morning to reactive the wax, put a tiny bit more in and then a very light spritz of alcohol free finishing spray and I'm good to go.

I would make a new template immediately and get another piece ordered. Post pictures of your template on your head and we can give you some tips on what adjustments to make. And this time, I would highly recommend getting a graduated hairline. It's only a 5% difference but it makes a big difference in the appearance of the hairline. You can do like I do and only get 1/4" graduation instead of the standard 1/2" graduation. For me, it mimics the hairline that I had when I was in my 20s. Now that's not for everyone but it works great for me because I don't look anywhere near 38. Everyone thinks I'm in my late 20s. Since you're only 21 I think that the 1/4" graduated hairline would work great for you.

Messages In This Thread
RE: First Piece just cut in, need help!! (photos) - AmericanJambo - 09-13-2014, 05:54 AM