Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am losing my mind... (Please help a fellow out)
11-17-2011, 04:40 PM,
RE: I am losing my mind... (Please help a fellow out)
(11-17-2011, 03:40 PM)needmorehair Wrote: Son, first, you have my sympathy and empathy. I've been there. My hair was only slightly receding in the temples when I was your age, but it bugged the hell out of me, so I can only imagine what you're going through.

Okay, that out of the way, you've come to the right place. This hairwearing game is an outstanding solution to your problem and, if done yourself, a highly affordable solution. What I'm going to suggest right now is that you stop and clear your head. Right now it's probably spinning and you're thinking that wearing is some big, elaborate process. It's not. All you're doing is taking a piece of fabric with hair tied in it, sticking it on your head with some combination of glue and tape, and then getting the danged thing cut. After that, it's just a repeat process of taking it off every few days and reattaching it.

I can't even begin to tell you how much more comfortable this makes me feel. Thanks for the wonderful advice.

My biggest fear is people knowing its a piece or somehow finding out...

Quote:The foregoing said, I do recommend going to a salon the first time. Why? Because you're probably going to have to shave some of your existing hair and you want to walk out with something in its place. Once that's been taken care of, you can then make a template and send it in to Toplace or some other supplier. Once the new piece arrives, trim the area where the hairpiece is going, stick the sucker on your head, and go to a barber or stylist to get the thing cut in. Shop around before you commit to a salon, and don't go to some "club" that will try to sell you some $1500 or more hairpiece with a service contract. I got gouged for a sum much larger than that when I started several years ago. Find somebody who will sell you that first unit, cut it in, and give you some supplies. They exist. You might want to get in touch with Debbie at Split Ends. She's a stylist and a provider of supplies (tape, glue, etc.) that we all trust, and she may be able to guide you to someone in your area to get you started. Here's a link to Debbie's website (I'm sure there's a number or email address on there, somewhere) http://www.splitendshairreplacement.com/ Frankly, you might find it cheaper in the long run to fly out to Debbie and let her hook you up the first time rather than go into one of the clubs. I kid you not, they'll get your head spinning again and they will rob you blind. And they'll tell you that it's really, really difficult to try to do this on your own. They're lying. That's how they make their money and charge you 10 times what the product and service is worth. Don't fall for it.

I definitely have done some research. The salon I linked above has a "thin-skin" stock unit that gets cut to fit my balding area. (Isn't that what a custom piece basically is?)

The piece looks and feels undetectable, and I definitely want to start out here, but I work so damn much to the point where every time I want to make an appointment, they're closed. The piece costs $450 and gets cut in and maintained for free. So it's much better than any of those "clubs" out there. However, I am still much more comfortable getting a SFS Lace piece from John. I can see myself buying from here for the next 15-20 years...but I need a helping hand to get myself started.

Quote:You're clearly ready to do this. So do it. Now. You've been through enough. Go, boy, Go!!!!!!!! You can get your confidence back in one day.

Best wishes, man.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help, means a lot to me. One question I also have is if I were to buy a stock piece from TopLace, would my stylist cut it in to fit my balding area? And how long does a stock piece take to arrive at my doorstep? I Live in Los Angeles, CA. Thanks again!
Hey JRob. It's really nice to finally meet you. I've seen some of the videos and pictures you have posted and the help that you offer is beyond my words. Thanks, you have my gratitude.

(11-17-2011, 03:43 PM)JRob Wrote: Hey 24hours,

What I would do if I were you is to make a list of all of the hair replacement salons in your area and set up an appointment. If they can show you a high quality product and give you a reasonable price, go for it. Make sure they itemize the hair, bonding, and cut-in service. Ask for a sample of the type of base they will be using. You can always transition to DIY down the road once you see what it is all about.

I know you aren't wanting to go the do-it-yourself route, but if a salon is going to charge you more than a few hundred dollars for a hairpiece you might want to order a custom unit from Toplace and have the salon get you squared away with the bond and cut-in once you have the hair. When you talk to the salons ask them if they would be willing to do a cut-in if you already have the hair. If they were going to charge you $1000 for the hair and you can get it for $200 online you will still come out ahead even if they charge more for the cut-in.

Another concern that I have is the difference between pieces. I know TopLace offers undetectable and high quality pieces....so if I end up going the DIY route in a couple months and I were to get one piece from a salon and another from John, won't that be obvious?

Quote:Of course it does complicate things a bit when you buy your hair from one place and get it serviced from somewhere else, but at least if you order from John you will know what you are getting product wise. You wouldn't want to get stuck with a unit made with thick, outdated base material, and from what I understand some salons aren't exactly keeping up with the times.

Bottom line- you can save yourself a lot of money ordering online and going the DIY route. I understand you wanting to get some help in the beginning, just make sure you do your homework and ask lots of questions before you agree to anything.

And keep in mind, if you have any questions once you get started there are always some knowledgeable folks here on the forum, so don't hesitate to ask.

I'm glad to know I can rely on these message boards for help.

Also, my hair is black and I currently use a concealer to cover it. It is fooling just about everyone but looks really ugly and bad. If I were to convert to a piece it'll probably create less of a mess than the amount of concealers it takes to cover my balding head. I just hope it doesn't get caught by the naked eye.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I am losing my mind... (Please help a fellow out) - 24hours - 11-17-2011, 04:40 PM
addendum - furball - 11-19-2011, 03:31 PM