Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here
02-24-2012, 05:44 AM,
RE: New here
(02-24-2012, 04:51 AM)Trey22 Wrote: Hey guys,

Just a quick question. I bought some nanogen (light brown) for my crown, for the remaining 7-8 weeks (until my systems arrive). Just to make the transition into wearing even less noticeable.

When using concealer, how necessary is hairspray? Some people mention that they use it, as it "locks" the fibres in place. However, I shower every evening, so I reapply concealer every day. Should I still use hairspray? I'm asking, because I would rather not use the hairspray..

Thanks,

Trey

Hi Trey,
Using hairspray is necessary if you wear micro fibres in your hair. Don't overdo it but the people are right - it's used to lock the fibres in place. I used fibres as well but switched to Dermatch because my hair is too long and it looked kind of weird. Don't worry about hair spray. Just sprinkle the fibres at your hair every morning and "seal" it with hairspray.

Hope that helps.

Edward
02-24-2012, 07:53 AM,
Hey Edward,

Thanks for replying. What kind of hairspray should I get ? Just a normal one (i.e Got2Be) ?

Thanks ,

Trey

(02-24-2012, 05:44 AM)Edward Wrote:
(02-24-2012, 04:51 AM)Trey22 Wrote: Hey guys,

Just a quick question. I bought some nanogen (light brown) for my crown, for the remaining 7-8 weeks (until my systems arrive). Just to make the transition into wearing even less noticeable.

When using concealer, how necessary is hairspray? Some people mention that they use it, as it "locks" the fibres in place. However, I shower every evening, so I reapply concealer every day. Should I still use hairspray? I'm asking, because I would rather not use the hairspray..

Thanks,

Trey

Hi Trey,
Using hairspray is necessary if you wear micro fibres in your hair. Don't overdo it but the people are right - it's used to lock the fibres in place. I used fibres as well but switched to Dermatch because my hair is too long and it looked kind of weird. Don't worry about hair spray. Just sprinkle the fibres at your hair every morning and "seal" it with hairspray.

Hope that helps.

Edward
02-24-2012, 08:08 AM,
Well, I'd suggest to buy two or three different ones (with different strengh)to see what looks and works best! I use quite strong hair spray because I wear a longer style and therefore need more hold. But just to lock the fibres a moderate/normal spray will do, I reckon!
03-18-2012, 05:03 AM,
Hey guys, just a quick update, and some questions:

It's been 7 weeks of waiting now, so there's about 3-4 weeks left. As time closes in, I notice I'm getting more nervous, but kind of in a good way, I guess. I feel like I'm ready to take this huge step, and finally get on with life;a new chapter if you will.

Specs of the 4 systems: full lace (#64) with a poly edge on the sides and back to give it extra durability. Density/color/crown placement etc. I was reassured would be taken care of.

As for the concealer, I've been using nanogen light brown for about 3 weeks now. At first I only used it to thicken up my crown, which it did, perfectly. After a week or so, I tried to sprinkle some on my hairline, and I was amazed by the results. It really thickened up my locks, and has given my hair a "lift", which in the past, I could only get on "good" hairday. So the past 2 weeks or so, I've been experiencing as a string of good hair days. I've also used these last 3 weeks as a test, to see how I would cope with using something "temporary" to fix my hair situation. I have to say, it's easier than I thought. The first couple of days, I was aware of the fibres on top of my head/mixed with my real hair, but as time went on, I forgot about it and just felt more complete, knowing that my crown and hairline are one step closer to beeing complete.

It almost feels like all these events (concealer timing, hair system waiting time) are meant to be, as far as getting ready for the "big switch" is concerned.

As for my questions:

1) If one uses tape all around (also hairline), are touch-ups still a necessity?

2) Back when I was getting the template done (7 weeks ago), the stylist used pieces of tape to shape the template around my hairline, and used scissors afterwards to create some recession. He mentioned that I would probably only need tape, so by using tape to shape the hairline, it would make de/re's easier. Is this a common technique ?

3) A couple of weeks before I made the choice to start wearing, I was asked if I would be interested in doing some modeling work. Is modeling a posibility while wearing ? I remember someone mentioning that a camera can pick up flaws that the eye can not. How common is wearing in the modeling world ?

Thanks a bunch, guys !
03-18-2012, 05:16 AM,
Hey Trey,

When I first started wearing I tried glue for the front hair line and tape for the rest. I didn't like the hold time I got out of glue so tried all tape the next de/rebond. I liked my results so much better going all tape, so now only use all tape and still expose my hairline with no problems. I find I get 2 full weeks without any lifting however, as soon as lift occurs it is pretty much beyond touch up phase and have to do complete de/rebond at that point. Anyway, just my opinion on tapes, I prefer it.

As far as your modeling questions, I have no clue as i have never been asked lol.

Good luck!
03-22-2012, 01:15 AM,
Thank you, Eric. Can anyone with experience pleaseeeee chime in ? Paul/John/hersute/furball ??
03-22-2012, 04:14 AM,
Firstly, I wouldn't worry about the modelling. Lots of people wearing hair do all sorts of TV work and its fine. Modelling shots always involve touch-up work and so ANY imperfections are ironed out at that stage.
So the problem won't be that its noticeable.
If there is a problem, it will be that a shoot may require you to have your hair styled in several different ways and there will be a hairdresser on board to do it. You would have to confide in them about your situation.
It all depends on what sort of modelling assignments you're being asked to do.

I only use glue all over for my lace topper, so I can't advise you on tapes & if touch-ups are necessary.
I've never been able to get tapes to stick to my skin for more than 24 hours at a time.

With regards the front contour, what I think you are saying is that the template was made to be the same shape as a standard front contour tape?
If that is right, then the answer is 'yes' this is often done to make life easier for you and so that tapes naturally fit the front contour.

Thats all I can help you with at this stage.
03-22-2012, 05:04 AM,
As Hersute pointed-out, that kind of work can involve changes in hairstyles... you can confide in those stylists with confidence...after all, a lot of that kind of image if not actually `photo-shopped` at the end, certainly is very `cosmetic`in nature.....you see these images of people and literally it`s a case of `not a hair out of place`.
I have noticed all right that despite people saying the camera never lies, when it comes to systems, even guys who post pics here have remarked many times that `` it looks better in reality`---don`t know what it is, but digital cameras seem to really `distort` system- hair images. I think , as you wear long-ish hair, it will be far less noticeable, especially if you have a few to hand ...you can replace it easily if it begins to look `tired` early ----if I was considering going into that game, I`d really have 3 or 4 systems at the ready---no way would I `nurse` one along and hope to get away with it in a studio-setting under intense light etc...you`d need to have `good`hair on your head at every session.
Most guys who use all -tape bonds, if they need to do a touch-up, usually do so with a little glue, but it can be quite `fiddly`....you`d need to keep the lace away from the glue until it`s almost `cured`..... some tapes may not even `take`to the glue...depends on a few things.... I reckon a glued front hairline is easier to touch-up with glue...... you are getting a poly strip....that`s very easy to work with.... I always found tape was really easy to apply to poly..it didn`t `lift`when I was peeling off the backing -papers....it frequently lifted from lace though and I`m not the most patient when it happens ! Even guys who use tapes at the front and contours, will often set them `back` a few millimeters from the very edge, and use glue to tack down that last little bit...you`ll find what works best for you after a while --it`s a case of experimenting really as it varies from one person to another as to what materials to use for bonds. Regards for now.
03-22-2012, 07:02 AM,
Thanks for the answers, Hersute and Paul !

I have some GREAT news ! I was just called by the owner to make an appointment. This came as a total shock, as I was expecting to be called somewhere near mid-april.... really feels weird having made that final appointment. Apparently my order came through much quicker than expected. I'm just trying to get everything sorted out before the appointment (i.e hair dryer, silk pillowcase, water sprayer etc.), as it's all started way earlier than I thought it would.

I've made an appointment on tuesday the 27th.. Ironically, it's only 2 days away from my birthday, which is on the 29th.

I'll post pictures asap..

Thanks for all the help thus far, guys ! I really really appreciate it.

EDIT: Paul, one last question. I was reading through the 'anyone got any advice on how to keep hair from getting dry' thread, when I saw you recommended Enhance by PPI. Do you order it from HairDirect ? I was just wondering, as we both live in Europe, and the shipping fees over at HairDirect are quite high
03-22-2012, 08:00 AM,
Yup -- H.D. ship using UPS...... cost me 40$ before when I forgot that another forum-user had posted a link to a U.K. site which carries `Enhance`....... I`m always ranting-on about it ---I swear --I`m NOT on a commission from the makers ! ;-)
http://www.hair-development.com/shop/accessories/6/
It`s at the bottom of the page there..... would be interested to hear your feedback on it once you`ve used it a few times---I often just use it 2 or 3 times a week [ you can use it liberally--no sticky build-up] and simply spritz the hair with water to `freshen it up` of a morning, in between applications..... all the best for your cut-in..let us know how you get on.