Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here
01-16-2012, 07:44 AM,
New here
Hey guys,

I’m a 21 (soon to be 22) y/o male, currently living in the Netherlands. NW 2,5 with some diffuse thinning, heading towards NW 3 in the near future. I’ve included some pics, which were taken last august, which demonstrate my current hair loss, quite well. My father is a NW 6, and has been since he was about 30 y/o, if I remember correctly.

Pics (no product/just got out of the shower):

http://imageshack.us/g/27/img0745ff.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/1233w.jpg

I've noticed that the future, as far as my hair is concerned, is not all that bright (father was NW 6 at age 30) and it's been really bothering me, to the point where I start obsessing over what I will look like when I'm NW 4-7, and how it will effect the way girls/women look at me. I know that a transplant is not an option, as I'm not going to take propecia to stabilize the remaining hair on my head. So the only option that I could come up with (up until very recently) was to go bald and accept my destiny.

It wasn't until a few weeks before Christmas, that I found out about how undetectable and affordable hair systems are nowadays. I notice people that wear hair, mention that it takes some skill to attach/maintain the system at first, but that after a month or so it becomes second habit, which is awesome.

Also, a lot of those people mention that it's best to start wearing hair when ones baldness is not that noticeable, so it's not as strange when people look at your head, as opposed to getting a system after a 2 year period of being a NW 6 (which will raise questions among people that know you/ have seen you on a regular basis). So I'm guessing the transition between real hair to a hair system is quite trick important.
The fact that I’ve not been classified as “balding” or “bald” yet, gives me the upper hand, as far as transitioning to a hair system go’s.

I’ve been lurking on the Dutch hair system forums, through which I found a reputable salon. I went there about 3 weeks ago for a free consultation, in which the owner heard what I had to say and I got to ask all the questions I had at the time, great service all around. He made up this plan, in case I decided to go with the hairsystem route;

-4 full lace systems
-Making the template/ choosing density/take samples for color etc.
-Maintenance (every 8 weeks)
-Attaching the systems at delivery

Price is about 1400 euro (which is $ 1778) for a whole year, based on 3 months/ per hair system, or longer depending on my activities, according to the owner. The price, from what I’ve read/seen thus far, is very reasonable. The owner is also very active on the Dutch hair system forum boards and seems to be respected by the frequent posters, over there.

I’m planning on making a second appointment to make the template etc. as the average delivery time is about 8 weeks, or so. Probably somewhere in the next 2 weeks. I know it’s going to be a life changing experience and that the first few weeks will most likely suck quite a bit, but I’m tired of constantly thinking about my hair and seeing it diminish as time goes on.

Also, one last question: will my natural hair (which I still have a lot of) fallout quicker, once I start wearing? I know I’ll have to shave/buzz it every week, but it will the hair system suffocate my real hair, so to speak?

Thanks guys,

Trey
01-16-2012, 07:59 AM,
RE: New here
To answer your very last question, no, wearing a hair piece will not damage the hair or cause it to fall out more quickly.

Looking at your first set of pictures, you could achieve quite a dramatic improvement by just having a partial piece at the front hairline and some concealer at the crown.
01-16-2012, 09:31 AM,
Hi Trey .. when I looked at your crown, I just thought you could use concealer to give a thicker, fuller look and I think Hersute`s suggestion regarding a front-partial, could buy you a little more time before shaving the top off....you should have a chat with that salon guy ..would [should] be a bit cheaper too and you`d keep as much of your own hair as possible for another while. I suppose the price/s quoted is reasonable enough as you are getting bonding and cut-in`s done too.... I guess for a total new-wearer, having the `comfort`of being eased into this game courtesy of an experienced stylist, who`s well-used to systems, is probably a good way to go and less of a hassle/stress..... whichever course you take [Topper or partial] you could use the first months to see how it`s done etc. and then you`d have the option to go totally on your own by sourcing systems on-line and having them cut-in locally. To confirm...wearing will have no adverse effects on your growing hair .... the main thing is regular de-bonding and cleaning of the scalp etc. to avoid possible health issues such as skin becoming irritated by sweat/bacteria building up under adhesives,especially in very warm weather.... and by the way---I enjoyed reading your post...very nicely-put and easy to `follow`..... would be interested to hear how things progress with you. You do need to psyche yourself up for this, especially as you`re so young..there are `issues`to deal with, but the way I look at it is, while it`s not as good as having all your own hair, it`s better than facing into a future of baldness... I think those products to help you stop the balding are expensive, and have side-effects for many guys...once you stop taking them, the baldness marches on..... at least wearing doesn`t have side-effects. Best regards.
01-16-2012, 08:46 PM,
Thanks, guys ! I feel the the hair in the middle (inbetween my hairline and crown) is also thinning. So i'll probably go with a topper. In the meantime, I would still like to use some concealer on my crown. What kind of concealer would you guys recommend ? I have reddish/blondish hair.

Also, what do you guys think will be the biggest struggles for me to (initially) overcome? I'm currently in medical school, so I'm quite busy studying, pretty much everyday. I know there's a learning curve attached to wearing, but I'm just hoping that once I get past all the adjustments, it's going to be somewhat of a second habit.

There are stories out there of people saying that wearing ruined their lives, that they always think about what others are thinking and wether they figured it out, or whatnot. I can't deal with that type of stress, as my mental/emotional well being is already under attack by the constant studying. Am I right in thinking that once I get past the learning curve, wearing will become relatively "easy", and will not be a constant burden?

Finally, my last question is somewhat generalised. All things taken into consideration, how "doable" is wearing a hair system for someone my age ?
01-16-2012, 09:26 PM,
(01-16-2012, 08:46 PM)Trey22 Wrote: Thanks, guys ! I feel the the hair in the middle (inbetween my hairline and crown) is also thinning. So i'll probably go with a topper. In the meantime, I would still like to use some concealer on my crown. What kind of concealer would you guys recommend ? I have reddish/blondish hair.

Also, what do you guys think will be the biggest struggles for me to (initially) overcome? I'm currently in medical school, so I'm quite busy studying, pretty much everyday. I know there's a learning curve attached to wearing, but I'm just hoping that once I get past all the adjustments, it's going to be somewhat of a second habit.

There are stories out there of people saying that wearing ruined their lives, that they always think about what others are thinking and wether they figured it out, or whatnot. I can't deal with that type of stress, as my mental/emotional well being is already under attack by the constant studying. Am I right in thinking that once I get past the learning curve, wearing will become relatively "easy", and will not be a constant burden?

Finally, my last question is somewhat generalised. All things taken into consideration, how "doable" is wearing a hair system for someone my age ?

With respect to doability of wearing hair at your age. I started wearing at the age of 22 too and I have been wearing ever since. I'm a norwood 6 now.
I think that you are right with respect to starting early and managing the transition while you still have hair. People are generally not going to notice (depending on the density of the system) and they are more interested in their hair than yours. Good luck. Craig
01-16-2012, 10:16 PM,
Links here to a well-known `Concealer`product so you can check out the correct colour ....the common complaint people have with such products--especially the darker shades--- is that they can stain pillow-slips and car `run` if you get caught out in heavy rain...I`d imagine the blonder/lighter colour wouldn`t be as noticeable but certainly if you get caught in heavy rain, the product will run and when the hair dries again, it will look it`s original `thin`self.
http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=chr...8&q=toppik
As to wearing being `do-able`..well, you`re no different to anyone else who wears/considering wearing....psychologically, this can be a big step for most people, however you have to ask yourself which is the lesser of two evils---constantly stressing over how thin your own hair is getting daily/weekly, knowing what the end-result will inevitably be, or [to my mind] the lesser `stress` of having a full head of hair on top and doing an [ average] weekly de/re-bond and cleaning of it.... the only daily `stress` when wearing is [or should be] your morning styling before you go out..... we are all different and some guys `deal`with this whole thing by just taking it in their stride, while others are always that bit `on edge` daily and can`t pass a mirror without checking that all is ok.... the main thing is to get a good matching -density and colour and a decent cut-in....after that it`s just down to weekly maintenance [cleaning] and daily application of a good leave-in conditioner to combat dryness and hopefully prolong the serviceable life of the system.
01-18-2012, 04:37 AM,
Just a quick question. Based on my pics, what color Toppik or Nanogen should I use for my crown? I was thinking light brown, but I'm not sure.
01-19-2012, 03:55 AM,
Hey Trey,

Hmmm ... I honestly think you're still in concealer territory. Maybe you feel it's going fast, and want to get a jump on it. I agree w/ your thinking that starting to wear when you haven't lost much will make for a less noticeable transition ... but it's mostly diffuse thinning, rather than serious recession ... same at the back-no shiny scalp area, just diffuse thinning. This makes you still a good candidate for concealers, as one needs real hair for the fibers to attach onto.

This is just my opinion, and I may have lost perspective on how dense you'd like your hair, compared to your contemporaries (I'm 48) ... but, the prevailing wisdom being to keep as much of your own as you can, for as long as you can, applies here.

I've only been wearing a couple of years, so I'm not an expert ... but wearing (for many) is trading one form of self-consciousness for another. In my case, wearing is definitely the better form, but my hair loss and bad transplants put me in much worse shape than you are now.

If you decide to wear, you can absolutely get a result you'll be happy with ... but you need to be prepared for what's involved in getting there, and some trade-offs.

IMHO, FWIW

-FB
01-19-2012, 05:15 AM,
(01-19-2012, 03:55 AM)furball Wrote: Hey Trey,

Hmmm ... I honestly think you're still in concealer territory. Maybe you feel it's going fast, and want to get a jump on it. I agree w/ your thinking that starting to wear when you haven't lost much will make for a less noticeable transition ... but it's mostly diffuse thinning, rather than serious recession ... same at the back-no shiny scalp area, just diffuse thinning. This makes you still a good candidate for concealers, as one needs real hair for the fibers to attach onto.

This is just my opinion, and I may have lost perspective on how dense you'd like your hair, compared to your contemporaries (I'm 48) ... but, the prevailing wisdom being to keep as much of your own as you can, for as long as you can, applies here.

I've only been wearing a couple of years, so I'm not an expert ... but wearing (for many) is trading one form of self-consciousness for another. In my case, wearing is definitely the better form, but my hair loss and bad transplants put me in much worse shape than you are now.

If you decide to wear, you can absolutely get a result you'll be happy with ... but you need to be prepared for what's involved in getting there, and some trade-offs.

IMHO, FWIW

-FB

Thanks, furball ! My hair loss is getting more noticeable, especially in windy conditions (i.e frontal hair is getting clamped up, making my temples look huge). I feel as though using concealer is only a temporary solution, as it's more of daily maintenance type of thing. Also, I exercise quite often, so using concealer on a long term basis would just be a mess, I think. I just want to have a full head of hair again, and I feel that now, as in the next couple of months, is the time to make that transition.

As far as the financial side of wearing is concerned, I'm well-prepared. Also, I've tried and am still currently trying to read as much as I can from experienced wearers, and those that just started wearing. I don't feel like there's something major, whether it be positive or negative, about wearing that I have yet to read. I'm sure there are some minor details, which I'll only find once I start wearing, but I think I can handle those.

However, I would still like to know what you were referring to in your post when you said I should be prepared for what's involved in getting there and the trade-offs. Would you be so kind as to enlighten me ?

Also, do you know what color concealer, be it Nanogen or Toppik, would suit my crown ? I'm looking to thicken up my crown area, so the transition to a hair piece will be even less noticeable.

Thank you so much,

Trey
01-19-2012, 05:41 AM,
Trey --best just contact them directly at the address shown here [on the link]...you could attach a pic of your hair in good natural light and they`ll be happy to recommend the correct one for you:
http://www.nanogen.co.uk/contact-nanogen...-hair.html