Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transition worries..... a suggestion.
09-04-2010, 10:24 PM,
RE: Transition worries..... a suggestion.
Hi antywanty, Have you actually ordered yet ? --- I presume you have ? If not, I don`t think there is a need for you to order 6 inch hair length -- you are really only thin from the crown to the front -- your sides are grand, so it`s not as if you need hair coming down by your ears and towards the nape of the neck ---it`s just that it would make the stylists job a lot easier and faster too ----- if you have ordered, you will see when you go for the cut -in, that a lot of it will end up on the salon floor. I found that was the case with me even though I need coverage on the sides/back but there was still a lot of `waste` -- in your case I reckon you really only need a nice coverage on the top. Again, it`s all part of the learning curve we all go through......... naturally everyone will worry about their first system and will it hide all the bald areas ... I think that also leads to people ordering high -density systems too, when in fact, a lower density, allowing for scalp show-through really enhances the illusion of a proper `real`head of hair, to people glancing at you casually, in public...... younger people would naturally have a higher density and can get away with it, but anyone from their 30s up, would want to `` go easy`` when ordering. Don`t worry about it in the least, if you have already ordered, but just note it during the cut -in, and it will save you a lot of time in the salon in the future [probably save you a bit of money too as the time taken by the stylist will be a lot less ] I only got 3 -inch length this time and it worked out fine and she only charged 20 euros as it only took 10 minutes to do !! As for the style, I am slightly at a loss in that you have ordered straight hair with a spikey front ---- I honestly would not be familiar with that particular style -- I had a look in the `` style options`` but I assume the front hair is ventilated into the base to kind of ``stand up`` ? If that is the case, I think that it will work out fine for you --- your own hair is kind of spikey when allowed to grow longer, I would say, so I think that style will suit you well. The systems are really easy to work with once they are in place -- the main worry for new wearers in the shaving off of the balding area, and getting the system positioned and adhered correctly --after that it`s in the hands of the stylist....... I`ll be really interested to hear your results, when it is done ... always interesting and informative to hear a person`s story ...... Kevin in Scotland had been putting it off for quite a while after actually taking delivery of his system, but finally took the plunge last week as you probably read...... am waiting for him to re -post on how he`s found the whole wearing experience in the interim. I think he may be away at the moment though, but would love to know how he`s found it all since his cut-in. Paul.
09-05-2010, 12:01 AM,
dam great to hear from you paul.
not ordered yett, did a DUMMY ORDER, but didnt go to the payment stage,
just to get pricing.
thats the order thats posted up here.
so i'll take note of the tweeks to the order you recommend here.
im selling my new hd video cam to pay for two systems.
i rekon this new way of wearing will enchance my life so much.
compared to concealer which is ending its days with me.
no point in having my video cam, if i woudnt go places to use it cos of my hair, confidence.
as it gets progressively worse.
keep in touch gonna need all the help with this.
cheers antySmile
09-05-2010, 03:33 AM,
Yeah -- wearing really is a new lease of life -- does a lot for the self -confidence and self -esteem. A good topper is what you need, so consider ordering with a bit less length as I explained --- there`s no real point in getting all that extra hair when your problem area is only really on the top...... the stylist will find it so much easier to work with. Just get a tape-measure or ruler, and measure from where your perimeter will be, down the side of your head [just behind the ears would be good ] and you will see where the 6-inch length would end -----all that excess would have to be trimmed off seeing as you have good sides....... I`m sure you could imagine how much extra work and time that will take the stylist. As for your final choice of style........ run it past John by e mail for his professional advice --he`d be the one I`d be guided by, but ask if you can have the front a bit spikey and the rest either straight or maybe a slightwave -- it depends on what way your existing hair looks ``in the round`` so to speak --- what you got to imagine is [ from the pics I saw in your other post] your system sitting on top, not alone blending in density -wise, but also the system hair can`t be too long in relation to your existing hair -- you keep that faily ``tight`` to you head from what I can see, so there would be an obvious difference if you left the system hair, let`s say, 3 inches long...... You will have to keep the system hair fairly short too in order to blend in for a good overall effect. If you are going to go for that, well there is little point in ordering very wavy hair because it will be cut short, so the wave will be lost to a large extent. If I personally was to decide to wear a very short/tight style, I think I`d go for straight hair. At present I order slight wave, as I have basically only about one third of my own hair left, and the system more or less covers most of what`s left , so a slight wave throughout the system hair, just gives the impression of a full head of all your own hair --it`s probably the nearest thing to a full -cap without actually being one. In your case, you still have a lot of your own, and only need the top covered/blended in, and as your own is kept tight/short, the system will have to `match`that ---- I hope that helps with your decision -making. Have you made your template yet ? When you do, just print off the order form and note your requirements on it and pop it off to Toplace in a padded envelope. For a good colour -match, enclose a sample of your own hair, about the diameter of a pencil. I didn`t need to,as I know my colour [1b which is just up from jet-black] You should allow anything up to 8 weeks from the time you post your order, as it has to reach America, then be despatched to China, made up, sent back to America, and then posted to yourself........ it`s worth the wait though.! When you re-order, it`s a bit faster as the template is in the system and it`s just a matter of activating your order electronically.
You sound like you`ll be cool with wearing though --those concealers can only take you so far and eventually [as you said] mother nature continues her march forward taking more of our hair with her !! The cruelty of it all !! LOL .
Regards, Paul.
09-05-2010, 05:38 AM,
you know what paul, you could charge for youre advice,i love reading it.
my looks have always been important to me.and hair just well its the icing on the cake which tops it off.why the hell go through life,without youre crowning glory.
do es anything hair system wearers go through the attachment removal for the hell of it, no
they know what a dam diffrence it can make.weird, not just having hair but just look at how a change in style can transform youre face. it plastic surgery without plastic surgery in my book.
i'd love to try this, to beat the vulture hairdressing money grabbers, (not all)but attach my topper, gue tape,and just go in as though its just a regular cut, and see the diffrence in price.
its bloody shocking what they charge, £250, £150 ,once its on the head its just hair.
im passionate about hair loss and hair replacment.and passionate about the people who wear.
because i know the feeling of suffering hair loss,and the feeling when i managed to get my little hair left how i like it, and saw my look in the mirror, and went out with my favourite shirt on feeling like a million follicles,(lol)
going to get some money together.
few weeks, then, template, advice,then let the journey begin.
09-05-2010, 08:54 AM,
Well I`m glad you find my tuppence-worth of some interest.I do tend to ramble on a bit but I`m kind of thinking aloud and I`d like to think that anyone reading and thinking of wearing, can formulate their own individual `plan`and get some ideas for styles......... I can only give my own particular experiences, but having worn for quite a few years now, and used four different `Salons` and a few different base -types, before reaching the promised land [Toplace !! ] I think I can shed a little light on the subject of wearing and what works for me, but i`m very conscious that lots of experienced wearers do things a bit differently to myself, and people just about to wear, will still have to actually get used to the process of attaching and detaching and it can be a source of anxiety. I just cannot see how any stylist could justify charging mega -bucks such as 100$ or 100£ for a cut-in, but then having said that, a friend of mine goes to a [ `normal`] hair salon and for a basic wash /trim and maybe a little colour, she pays 70euro [58£ or 90 $ ] so I guess it would make you think a bit. When I approached my stylist about obliging me, I said exactly your point, to her , which is that it`s real hair, just attached to an artificial scalp, so the cutting of it is no different to any other persons head. The only advantage I think that I had/have over a person in your position who has never worn before, is that my head is already shaved and I keep it that way myself [it`s very easy ] whereas if you go in for your first fitting/ cut -in, they have to do it for you if you have not done it yourself, and you may have to ask for their assistance in doing the bond,especially at the back where you can`t really see --again it`s not hard to do, but they will see that as ``work`` and can justify a higher charge than a normal haircut for a `normal` customer. For a new wearer, there is obviously anxiety and nervousness, but it shouldn`t be a reason for a stylist to shoot the price through the roof. The initial attachment can be made tricky by the very long hair `` in the way`` ---- which is why I advise you in your particular situation to go for a shorter length rather than the standard 6 inch --- it can be hard to position the base correctly with all the long hair in the way --it`s grand once the system has been cut -in ....... you`ll easily manage away at home, but any decent stylist should be able to help with positioning, marking the perimeter and then shaving the appropriate area, before applying glue or tapes. What might be helpful to anyone who has to go for the longer lengths, would be to gently make a cone of the hair and put one or two fairly large elastic/rubber bands around it loosely, so that it can be held up out of the way --should enable you to see the base more easily and help you position it properly so you can pencil around the perimeter--- just a little trick some may find helpful.
I reckon only about 10% of people with hair -loss can carry off the ``Totally shaved`` look but the rest of us mere mortals, don`t look good without hair, and we know it ---- why else are there so many Hair replacement companies operating all over the place, sadly many or most of them are in it primarily to make as much money as quickly as possible. It`s comforting to know that Toplace is not one of them and not out to take advantage of people who are feeling vulnerable and self -conscious.
Cheers for now, Paul.
09-05-2010, 08:56 PM,
this is one of the best real world attachment, removal, maintainece videos im watched on u tube takes a while to find. its in a sub categorgy of about 5 sub sub categorys lol.
this guy is french,so the descriptions are sometimes off but its good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGXFaHFdvS8
i watched videos 1-4 on my plasma tv via my ethernet cable last night, didnt get to bed till 12:45am