Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transition worries..... a suggestion.
08-28-2010, 07:03 PM,
Transition worries..... a suggestion.
Hello all.
I have been giving some thought to an issue which causes a major concern to people thinking / wanting to make the leap into the world of wearing. How do I leave my work-place on a Friday evening with bald head, and arrive back in on Monday with a full head of hair. What are people`s reactions going to be ? It`s a very very real issue, understandably. I don`t want to get too bogged -down with materials/ styles etc as these are already well -covered on the forum as it is, but my suggestion is, when you are making your template to send to John [who thinks this idea is practical, as I have asked for his opinion before posting ] make two much smaller ones as well, rather like a little skull -cap. Most of us thin from the front hair -line, back to and including the crown. Make a small template ... maybe half the size of a CD/DVD disc, and a second one a bit larger. Order a very light density --- probably less than half of what your main system will be. I was thinking a person could specify all -poly for such a small partial --it shouldn`t cause any itching or any irritation of any kind as you will only be doing a very light bond with either a glue or tape and can remove and clean it easily and frequently. This would have two main advantages for a new -comer : It will help you get used to doing bonding and de-bonding with a much smaller system, and also, ``ease`` those around you into getting used to you with a bit more hair on your head. You could even gradually use a bit of concealer product on the smallest partial to gradually increase the fullness /volume, and after wearing that for a few weeks, then begin to wear the next size up and eventually graduate to your main system. Yes, people who know you will maybe notice a little difference in you at first, but the majority won`t quite know what it is......... most people in work situations are usually occupied with what they are doing, rather than spending the entire day dwelling on your head !! The trick in this is to keep the hair volume very low, especially on the smallest partial as that will be the first one you wear and you want the transition to be gradual.
I hope the idea might give some potential wearers food for thought and help ease the `` nerves`` !!
Please feel free to be critical or otherwise -- I didn`t use this `route` myself, but it may be of help to some of you... regards always, Paul.
08-29-2010, 08:00 AM,
RE: Transition worries..... a suggestion.
ofcourse this is where you fall into the i wish id made the transition move, and started wearing gradually whilst thining sceanario,but weeve got to deal with the here and now the horse has bolted and youve shut the door.
hmmm,theres a school of thought that says i can be up front, depends on youre personality, confidence.
or theres the second school who gradually give the illusion of growing hair by increasing density systems over time.
tough call, but im sure worthwhile.
folk who have shaved there heads for years and now are aware of what can be done,my first approach was ahs, i thought great a cure,
a fix, my life confidence back.when they told me the price 1200 i was gutted,left the studio dismayed,
i never thought of ordering direct and paying for as cut in, and attaching removing myself.
im deviating from the point ,covering previoues topics sorry.thank god for this forum i love it, toplace youre the best, and m not wearing yett.
08-29-2010, 08:31 AM,
Hi again antywanty. Glad you find the site and forum helpful. I agree with your observation that people who have resigned themselves to shaving their heads rather than go out wearing the classic ``Rug`` [ the type, which you said on another post, that you saw a guy on a bus,wearing ] which can be spotted from half a mile away, might now be encouraged to let their side hair re-grow and consider a good -quality system to complete the picture --at least with the newer bases, and glues etc., wearing need not be for the mega rich people only. For anyone who either wants to re -grow their side and back hair, or for those who still have it, but who are very thin or almost bald on the crown and on up to the front hairline, my suggestion to make the transition less of a `` shock`` might be worth considering. I well -remember my very first trip to the Salon years back. I was sitting there with my knees knocking together with nerves, not knowing what way I was going to look after the attachment. There was a guy who came out after a few minutes, with a hat on, which I found strange. The stylist seemed a little flustered when I went in to the fitting room --turns out the guy took one look at his new full head of hair and couldn`t cope with it--told her to take it back off his head !! I`m sure it looked fine on him but I guess all his mental `demons`won out over rationality.
Just as a little `footnote`here [please forgive me] -- in your post above, you said your first approach was to `ahs` ------ for anyone who may not be familiar with what that is, it`s an Australian-based, salon company, who have premises in several countries [I will not mention them in full here, but just wanted to clarify that]
Thanks for the feedback and hope you are delighted when you finally join ``the club``! Paul.
08-29-2010, 11:59 AM,
I really liked your suggestion of starting out with a tiny system for the crown (tape attachment probably).
Then, every month or 2 keep increasing the size of the piece.
This is good for:
1) Good for the wearer so he can learn slowly.
2) Good for the close friends/family/collegues cuz they will not notice.

The hairline. . . and getting it to look great is something that takes daily time/effort to master.
On the other hand,
I was experimenting with the following hairstyle: Left part with hair going forward. It looked very natural and the hairline does not have to be perfect.
Used tape like walkers and where the part is I used ORWG (glue) like 1/2 inch.
Nobody gives second look cuz my piece is thin enough so you can see scalp.

My 2 cents :-).
08-29-2010, 08:34 PM,
(08-29-2010, 08:31 AM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hi again antywanty. Glad you find the site and forum helpful. I agree with your observation that people who have resigned themselves to shaving their heads rather than go out wearing the classic ``Rug`` [ the type, which you said on another post, that you saw a guy on a bus,wearing ] which can be spotted from half a mile away, might now be encouraged to let their side hair re-grow and consider a good -quality system to complete the picture --at least with the newer bases, and glues etc., wearing need not be for the mega rich people only. For anyone who either wants to re -grow their side and back hair, or for those who still have it, but who are very thin or almost bald on the crown and on up to the front hairline, my suggestion to make the transition less of a `` shock`` might be worth considering. I well -remember my very first trip to the Salon years back. I was sitting there with my knees knocking together with nerves, not knowing what way I was going to look after the attachment. There was a guy who came out after a few minutes, with a hat on, which I found strange. The stylist seemed a little flustered when I went in to the fitting room --turns out the guy took one look at his new full head of hair and couldn`t cope with it--told her to take it back off his head !! I`m sure it looked fine on him but I guess all his mental `demons`won out over rationality.
Just as a little `footnote`here [please forgive me] -- in your post above, you said your first approach was to `ahs` ------ for anyone who may not be familiar with what that is, it`s an Australian-based, salon company, who have premises in several countries [I will not mention them in full here, but just wanted to clarify that]
Thanks for the feedback and hope you are delighted when you finally join ``the club``! Paul.
ahs is actually advanced h studio,
love youre posts , yahh so insightfull,
you must look @ bald folk and think if you only knew what youre missing,
fair enough they made a decision, shave there head,
some folk are happy and acceptting others are not.
but, heres the bigg question, if they could see what a diff it would make,
and knew about modern systems ect,
they would jump.i think alot of wearing dont shoot me down on this is to do with the most powerfull force constantly thrust upon us by the media and naturally there wired in,"sex" and sex appeal,
if you were good looking prior to hair loss, then you know the feeling of having something and having it switched off.and wanting it bswitched back on.
some folk even with hair arnt good looking,
i think thats my motivator im pretty handsome,get alot of attention from woman girls,thats why i want to keep my hair.
im not that dropp dead georgoues that i'd suit a shaved head , wish i was and wouldnt bother with a system, but im hapy with what mother nature gave me.
and my look as i see it is truly complimented by having hair
08-30-2010, 10:35 PM,
(08-29-2010, 11:59 AM)balamouti Wrote: I really liked your suggestion of starting out with a tiny system for the crown (tape attachment probably).
Then, every month or 2 keep increasing the size of the piece.
This is good for:
1) Good for the wearer so he can learn slowly.
2) Good for the close friends/family/collegues cuz they will not notice.

The hairline. . . and getting it to look great is something that takes daily time/effort to master.
On the other hand,
I was experimenting with the following hairstyle: Left part with hair going forward. It looked very natural and the hairline does not have to be perfect.
Used tape like walkers and where the part is I used ORWG (glue) like 1/2 inch.
Nobody gives second look cuz my piece is thin enough so you can see scalp.

My 2 cents :-).
yes but what about those folk who gather round youre head, and say eee look his hairs comming back in, give me a feel and they start pawing youre edd, happens,
08-30-2010, 11:14 PM,
Well, just like a full system, the partial will be undetectable to the touch ---- someone just running their fingers through the hair would not really detect it --they`d want to really be `fumbling`around slowly and deliberately at the join-spot in order to tell the difference. Paul.
09-04-2010, 08:53 AM,
What we need are national mentors.longterm or experianced wearers to meet newbies at there home and maybee offer advice about cutting in or even undertake a template fitting ect.
I realise there's a proffession already in place we call them hairdressers and barbers.
But its dam dam bloody frightening thinking of going for a cutting in.the worries.will one of them know me.
Id rather have my cutting in done at home.then iv got to secure it to my head.I.d just love someone who's a wearer to be there.
Its so easy to ramble on here.but you feel so bloody understood.wearing can be and for me will be life changing.its going fine more expensive than making a pot of concealer last 3 months.washing my hair every 3 weeks.when I achieved my style on went the hairspray
Id create a kind of mesh of a quiff at the front.pretty siff with hairspray.then tap nanogen fibers till they covered the mesh.then tap the hair .and the nano fibers dropp naturally through the hair.
I'd leave my front uncombed for two to 'three weeks max.and just re style the back and sides after sleeping.no need to touch the.front.
So that's been my routine for about 7yrs.
I'd have been more than happy to continue with the concealers.if my hair density had remained 70% ish.
But no mother nature had to be cruel and so the. Mpb continues.
Time to move on to a few topper hair systems.
Would love to meet someone from tyne&wear.gateshead who's into the wearing game.to help with first time attachment.removal.yeah yeah its ok reading the theory but the practical real world living it and wearing bloody terrify me.
Help antywanty.
09-04-2010, 08:30 PM,
Hi again. There are quite a few wearers in UK, so you might get one who reads your post, to offer to help /advise you in person. Personally, I`d be happy to do so in my own area, but I guess that on a practical level, some people might baulk at the idea of having to travel long distances, due to work committments etc. I fully appreciate how scary it can be for anyone about to wear for the first time --- naturally there are many concerns/worries and `what if-s` but really, the reality is, it`s not as tricky as you might imagine....... yeah sure it`s a whole new experience after getting away with using concealers [ messy as they are] on your thinning hair --- there is also the psychological barrier of having been so hung -up on keeping what little you have and trying to make it look fuller, and now you`re facing the hurdle of shaving it off and looking at your baldness in all it`s glory !! :-) I suppose you`re
kind of having to face your demons and meet them head -on, in the act of shaving the hair off. I hope you have located a stylist in preparation for wearing -- I`m sure he /she will be aware of the sensitivity of the situation and arrange for a bit of privacy in their premises -- the stylist I use has a large screen at the rear of the premises which she can put across to provide a little `oasis`of privacy ----- don`t be afraid to voice your anxiety for a bit of privacy ---they`ll totally understand. Regards, Paul.
09-04-2010, 09:11 PM,
so paul you saw my pics in earlier posts i did a sample order,
would i be able to achieve a kind of pushed forward look not realy spikey.
with the style list. see screen shot(topper , from crown to temple)
now iv gotta find a stylist.
just rang two companies for quotes for cutting in of a hair system.
i'll abreaviate the names with the prices next to them
1)ahs £250.00
2)white cli £150.00
kinda feeling exploited.
most iv ever paid for a dry cut is £6-7 lol(when i had lots of hair)
im thinking of trying a mobile hairdresser,
but you dont know whether youre getting a good hairdresser)
as far as confidentiality goes arnt hairdressers the weakest link in the chain, wont they talk)
hence im thinking of travelling out of my area.
could debbie do a cut in for a topper, ect
cheers
antySmile

Attached Files Image(s)