Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surgery and wearing hair
10-14-2009, 06:15 PM,
Re: Surgery and wearing hair
Thanks Tina,

I think I am going to go that route. I also have had twilight sleep with the piece on for a simple endoscopy and wasn't worried about that. This is also a bit more involved. It's a short procedure (an hour or an hour and half biopsy of a lymph node under the arm) and an anesthesiologist will be there along with the doctor.
So unless someone says something then I will wear.
Thanks for mentioning your experience....
10-15-2009, 02:39 AM,
Steve, I'm not sure about the PMing here either. Maybe someone can chime in?

It absolutely shouldn't be an issue with an axillary node. I personally have worn through an outpatient procedure. You will have a cap on during surgery (standard procedure) and they will have the rest of your body draped off to isolate the surgical site. Not a problem.

--CS
10-15-2009, 02:04 PM,
That makes me feel a better cs...
One of my questions was... were you wearing glue, tapes or clips during your procedure? Like I mentioned before I have worn during "twilight sleep" endoscopy procedures and for my wisdom teeth without any problem.
I just wondered about this type of anesthesia(different from my twilight sleep) and if there is any possibility with it interfering with the glue on my head if I wear that kind attachment. That might be a crazy far fetched question but I wondered about it lol I think I am stressing in anticipation of the procedure so all sorts of things are going through my head.
Otherwise like I said again.. there is nothing that has been said about hairpieces and this outpatient clinic(although I see at other clinics they do tell you not to wear) The only thing they asked were about dentures ..crowns and rings.

Steve
10-16-2009, 04:00 AM,
I was wearing tape for sure, maybe a little glue. Clips could be bad (along with any other sort of metal, dentures, crowns, rings, etc). There are a lot of nerves around those nodes and they use a nerve stimulator during the procedure (essentially delivering small electrical shocks to make sure the nerves are OK) and metal could interfere. They also may use electro-cautery to seal off bleeding vessels, which also involves an electrical charge. You'd be surprised how upset people get when they have to remove body piercings for surgery. Big Grin Tape and glue should be fine.

Don't stress over the surgery. You'll wake up not even realizing it's over. Hope the biopsy turns out well for you.

--CS
10-16-2009, 02:31 PM,
Thanks for the replies cs.. I am starting to relax with it all. I take it you are an RN? Just the fact that you said axillary node I figured you knew your stuff. Thanks for the well wishes

Steve
10-17-2009, 02:14 AM,
Yep, I'm a Recovery Room RN. Glad to see you're relaxing a little bit.

--CS
10-30-2009, 01:58 PM,
My surgery went fine.. No one ever asked about the piece. I had to wear a cap and when I awoke ..everything was fine. Thanks for all the input. I stressed out way to much over nothing.
I think that the only time I would have an issue with hair wearing and surgery if it was like major heart surgery or something similar and it were to involve an extended stay at the hospital that involved many days. Otherwise wearing hair I isn't an issue
10-30-2009, 11:48 PM,
Glad to hear it went well!

--C
11-02-2009, 08:57 AM,
I had Gastric Bypass surgery in July. I never said anything about wearing. No problem what so ever. Did a fresh attach a couple of days before. It was kind of funny on one of the visits the surgeon said that one of the side effects of this surgery was possibly loosing some hair. I never said a word. Could have said I could lose hair anytime I wanted.

Mac Mike
Mac for the best computer around.