Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surgery and wearing hair
10-14-2009, 01:44 AM,
Surgery and wearing hair
Hey everyone

I am having surgery done next week (biopsy of a lymph node) and I was wondering about hair wearing. In my pre operative instructions it says not to wear jewelry, wedding rings, makeup or contact lenses.. it doesn't say anything about hairpieces.
It is being done at a outpatient center. I googled outpatient surgical centers and wearing hair and many say that you have to remove your hairpiece before the surgery. On one form there is a Q&A saying why you shouldn't wear hair and the reason they give is "Wearing hair or jewelry .. "They may become pressure points areas while you are under anesthesia"

So obviously I am slightly worried about it all. Thought maybe one of the posters might be an anesthesiologist or is familiar with simple outpatient surgery stuff.
Also, can the glue interfere with the anesthesia at all?
Maybe I am just being a bit overly anxious with it all.... Once again it doesn't say on the pre instructions they gave me about wearing hair.. just no jewelry,makeup or contact lenses.

Thanks
Steve
10-14-2009, 02:07 AM,
Re: Surgery and wearing hair
Hi Steve L,

Of course you already know the answer to your own question, but you may not want to face it. Specifically, you should be upfront with the doctor about your situation, letting him know that you can attach it securely and with either tape or glue (should it make a difference). I guess you're probably hoping to avoid having to ask the question by getting an informed wearer to answer it for you, so hopefully someone in the know will answer for you. I think Gel is a doctor.
10-14-2009, 02:15 AM,
Well dino... I am not sure I know the answer lol I might call the surgery center over the phone and ask them (since it doesnt say anything on my pre op forms) Otherwise the plan was just to show up wearing and if they say anything then i'll go from there.
10-14-2009, 02:41 AM,
Hey mate i've had surgery before when i wasn't wearing and i'm 180 percent sure i could have turned up with a piece and it would have made no difference. But in the past this guy called phoniex who claimed to be an anaesthetist said some hospitals have a policy of not letting people wear hair in to surgery theatres due to hygiene or something. That being said i'd doubt hair is going to kill you and i'd just take the risk if they want it off you can take it off easy.
10-14-2009, 04:26 AM,
Don't worry about it. If it's not brain surgery then it really doesn't matter. They'll have a surgery cap on you anyway during the procedure. Just be sure you're bonded well, as they'll be putting an oxygen mask around your head after surgery is over.

PM me if you have any questions.

--CS, RN
10-14-2009, 12:04 PM,
Thanks for the responses... I read through the archive of that phoenix guy and he did mention about some hospitals that require you to take it off but I think that is after a prolonged stay.. or at least overnight.
They did a pre- questioning today over the phone regarding the surgery and they mentioned no rings(I think because they can swell during surgery) and no dentures or crowns. She didn't say anything about hairpieces so I figure I will go wearing and if they something that day I will deal with it then.
The surgery is only about an hour and they are just going under my arm. There will be an anesthesiologist who will speak with me either the night before the surgery or the morning of.
I have worn before when I was under twilight sleep for a simple endoscopy procedure and that was no problem.
10-14-2009, 12:11 PM,
cs1234 Wrote:Don't worry about it. If it's not brain surgery then it really doesn't matter. They'll have a surgery cap on you anyway during the procedure. Just be sure you're bonded well, as they'll be putting an oxygen mask around your head after surgery is over.

PM me if you have any questions.

--CS, RN

Hey Cs...
I am not sure how to pm on here.. I do have a few questions
Thanks,
Steve
10-14-2009, 04:07 PM,
If your knickers are tighter than your hairpiece, you're strangling the family dynasty Tim LOL.

I had my appendix removed a few months back, and had to confront this issue. I was very tempted to just wear my hairpiece and say nothing, but in the end I asked the anaesthetist and he told me it was hospital policy that I would have to remove it. However, he said he had had the same issue with other patients, and he would give me a surgical cap at the point when I would have to change for theatre, and I could tape it in place with hairpiece tape so it wouldn't fall off. He would leave instructions with the nurses to leave the cap on after surgery. So that is what I did. The cap was still on when I came around, and when the grogginess passed I was able to go to the bathroom and put on my unit again.

I think if you ask you will be told to remove your piece. I imagine the chances of the piece causing a problem are one in a million, but they just want no avoidable complications whatsoever. I would have felt very uncomfortable at the thought of lying unconscious after surgery with my bald head exposed for all to see (particularly because the white outline makes it pretty obvious I normally wear a piece), but the cap made it OK. You would need to take some toupe tape with you, as well as a clean hairpiece already taped up, so it can be put on easily and without too much fuss when you feel ready.
10-14-2009, 05:23 PM,
Yeah see there are these conflicting stories... You had your appendix out in a hospital which might be a slightly different situation I am assuming. You probably were in the hospital for a couple of days. Mine is an outpatient surgery that will last an hour or so.
I think unless a hospital staff members tell me .. then I will just go wearing. Plus in all of my pre surgery instructions thus far they haven't said anything about removal of a hairpiece. Who knows .. they might when the doctor and anesthesiologist meet with me right before the surgery
Thanks for your feedback

If anyone has had simple outpatient surgery done at a surgery center.. I would like to hear what they had to go through.

Steve
10-14-2009, 05:38 PM,
I have had two outpatient surgeries while wearing, and I never told them I wore a piece and it was never a problem.
The first time I got the twilight anethesia and don't remember wearing the surgery cap.
The second time was a little more involved, and they did give me a hair cap to wear during the procedure.
I don't think you will be in any shape to bring tape and put your piece on as someone previously suggested.
I say just wear it unless you are getting some type of head surgery.
Just my 3 cents.

Tina

p.s. hope all works out well for you!