Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thread to suggest gel/pomade aside from "the big 4"
04-03-2009, 10:50 PM,
thread to suggest gel/pomade aside from "the big 4"
hi,

just wanted to start a thread for reviews/experiences with good gels/pomades/"product" that system users use beside "the big 4"

Note: the "big 4" refers to these 4 products reviewed by snipe on the old forum
(<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.network54.com/Forum/241571/thread/1200524960/last-1206735451/My+final+4+hair+gel+pomade+wax+products...comprehensive+review">http://www.network54.com/Forum/241571/t ... ive+review</a><!-- m -->)

basically, looking for things that keep the system looking good and healthy

I'm gonna try Jonathan Dirt paste - anyone try it yet?
04-04-2009, 05:50 AM,
Re: thread to suggest gel/pomade aside from "the big 4"
I've always used American Crew pomades with great results!

Recently I wanted a more hard and wet looking style, so I switched to TiGi Bed Head products.
04-04-2009, 05:53 AM,
American crew pomade is good. But I would say its similar to waxworks. I have tried surfhair by fructis. Drys the hair too much. one product that i kind of like is Axe spiking putty. It kind of spikes your hair like gel without getting stiff. Im not sure how good it is on the hair tho. Have not used it that long.
04-04-2009, 06:25 AM,
I would eventually like to expand the Blue Max line into styling products as well, but I have a few things that are a higher priority to roll out first.

Until then, the only other product that I have found that works well is the John Frieda Clearly Defined gel. It has a high silicone content and keeps the hair in great condition.

This is one of the products that led me to begin experimenting with silicones in the development of the serum. Unfortunately I don't care so much for hair gel (I prefer waxes and putties) so the only other thing I use is Waxworks.
04-04-2009, 06:28 AM,
Xeon005 Wrote:American crew pomade is good. But I would say its similar to waxworks. I have tried surfhair by fructis. Drys the hair too much. one product that i kind of like is Axe spiking putty. It kind of spikes your hair like gel without getting stiff. Im not sure how good it is on the hair tho. Have not used it that long.

All of the Fructis stuff dries the hair if you don't add serum to it. And I don't know why that is because as far as I can tell there is nothing in it that should cause drying. I'm going to ask my chemist which of the ingredients is causing this.

Oh yea....I actually have an American Crew kncokoff hair putty I got from Sally's that is pretty good. I don't know if it drys the hair if used on its own since I always use a drop of serum with it, but using it the way I do it works well.
04-04-2009, 01:17 PM,
I recommend "cocktailing" products. Meaning, mixing products together. If you like the hold of a gel but it doesn't have shine, mix it with shine drops or blue max and you will get the hold, as well as the shine!
04-04-2009, 04:23 PM,
JamesKennedy Wrote:I recommend "cocktailing" products. Meaning, mixing products together. If you like the hold of a gel but it doesn't have shine, mix it with shine drops or blue max and you will get the hold, as well as the shine!

I second that. I wonder how one might go about taking some of the shine OUT of Waxworks???

The thing I don't like about gel is the crispy texture. Waxes are really the way to go for more modern hairstyles. I like the textured "disheveled" look.

BTW.....Blue Max won't give you much shine. You are better off using a the shine drops as you mentioned or another serum that is specifically designed to increase shine. Phenyl trimethicone is the ingredient you want to look for, which was purposefully left out of the Blue Max formulation so as not to add too much shine to the hair.
04-04-2009, 05:11 PM,
Ah good point...

Basically my daily regiment includes spraying on shine spray, then a leave in conditioning spray, then combing in order to remove tangles, then running blue max through the piece. Then blow drying and styling with a gel mixed with pomade.

I'm guessing the shine spray helped in the shine department. Blue max definitely helped with the frizzy dry hairs that seemed to always pop up and look out of place!
04-04-2009, 09:44 PM,
all great suggestions so far

I'd make some but i'm scheduled for my first cut in on wednesday so i don't have the experience at the moment but i'm definately gonna start off with waxworks and the green treen styling creme that is suggested in snipes post

I'm wondering what the concensus is on this new sulfate free line by l'oreal called everpure. it is sold at all major stores like walmart which is a huge convienece
04-05-2009, 05:44 AM,
what is a good leave in conditioner? and I think I like the style gel type products give in that it clumps the hairs together a little bit, I like that look for a spikey style. The wax works doesnt really do that as much. The axe spiking putty does it but without making the hair too hard.

Has anyone tried the american crew light hold gel? does that make the hair less stiff and crunchy?