Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A way to revive the softness to an old hairpiece
04-26-2009, 08:30 AM,
A way to revive the softness to an old hairpiece
I got a great tip, stay tuned, I will let you in on it Oct 22 2012!

Ok, I'll tell you straight away. Sorry if this is old news....

I was at a local hari salon a couple of days ago to pick up some tape, I asked the lady that was working there if they had a conditioner or something similiar that could make the hair softer, she showed me a couple of products, but also told me that bicarbonate was great for softness ( I am not sure but I think bicarbonate is called baking soda in the US). Anyaway I picked up some baking soda on my way home and WOW. as a matter of fact, thats probably the best product I have ever tried. My 5 month old worn out piece became like new again. I diluted a cup of bicarbonate in a bowl of water and soaked the piece for an hour, and let me tell you, it was like new again. Try it!
04-27-2009, 04:25 AM,
Re: A way to revive the softness to an old hairpiece
I have done this in the past but over time I noticed the colour faded quicker.
04-30-2009, 03:32 AM,
well that sounds interesting if you can get more life out of it. Btw BA or iwantitback if it fades quicker does that mean you have to keep soaking it consistantly to get the effect? Does the colour just naturally disappear and how fast does it fade.
04-30-2009, 04:10 AM,
danger!!89 Wrote:well that sounds interesting if you can get more life out of it. Btw BA or iwantitback if it fades quicker does that mean you have to keep soaking it consistantly to get the effect? Does the colour just naturally disappear and how fast does it fade.

Yes mate thats a good point I was soaking it everytime I did a change so that would quicken the fading so to speak, Doing it occasionaly would be better in my opinion.
04-30-2009, 05:08 AM,
Baking soda is high pH. It opens the cuticle.

This makes the hair softer, but it is also what makes it lose color.

Definitely use sparingly.....
04-30-2009, 03:39 PM,
JRob Wrote:Baking soda is high pH. It opens the cuticle.

This makes the hair softer, but it is also what makes it lose color.

Definitely use sparingly.....

Just rinse well with water, then with vinegar and then rinse that out with water.
Problem solved.... Smile

As some people here know, I've always said that one of the quickest ways to fade a unit is by shampooing it often. Even BA has said before that there really isn't a need to wash the unit as often as so many here seem to.
I rarely shampoo mine after the initial shampoo.
I get 9 months to a year wear out of then with very little fading and no shedding to speak of and hardly no lace fraying.
I've going to post up a link, on a new thread, from MSNBC.com regarding shampooing hair (a persons real, natural hair).There are more and more people who don't shampoo at all and there hair is much more healthy looking and feeling compared to when they use to shampoo.
There just isn't any reason to shampoo.
Rinsing with baking soda, followed by vinegar (if desired) and the hair stays remarkable.

Smile
Fred
04-30-2009, 05:17 PM,
Yeah fred mate

Not wearing until convention so i dont really know as much as you i have questions.

Isnt the point of shampooing to put some life into the hair and clean it especially if you sweat alot?

And wont vinegar make it smell like well vinegar - not a good thing imo unless its on fish and chips.

Oh yeah and 9 months seriously ? Is this wearing the same hairpiece everyday and still getting 9 months?
05-01-2009, 04:18 AM,
Ahh a chemistry lesson thread!

- Baking soda (also bleach and ammonia) OPEN the hair cuticle, vinegar is acidic and CLOSES the cuticle
- Shampooing should be done sparingly, but at the same time you don't want dirt and styling products to build up on the hair. Leave-in conditioner can also build up if not washed out from time to time

I have heard about using baking soda, bleach and ammonia, vinegar, lemon juice, etc. on the hair, but the fact is you have to be careful what you are doing and when you are doing it. Using baking soda performs an action similar to what some of the chemicals in hair coloring, perming, and relaxer do. (not good if used incorrectly) You don't want to do something just to do it, you do something if there is a serious problem that can't be resolved in a better way. Fred would seem to have it correct with the vinegar AFTER the baking soda, since this would serve to close the cuticle.

I would just be very cautious about doing this stuff frequently, because it alters the structure of the hair. You are better off properly washing as needed, conditioning, and sealing the hair, and only resorting to using these household chemicals if there is a serious need.
05-01-2009, 07:08 PM,
Makes sense i guess
05-01-2009, 10:12 PM,
Just use JRobs BlueMax, problem solved Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Forget about all the other messing around Wink