Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP!, I could use some advice.
02-22-2010, 01:10 PM,
HELP!, I could use some advice.
Hello everyone

Just curious, to whom did you confess that you wear a hairpiece?, brothers and sisters, wife, friends, etc? specially if, by example, you met your wife or a friend after you start using a hairpiece? for example did you tell your wife your hair is a hairpiece before or after getting married?, or maybe you haven't told her?, does she seems suspicious?

I'm asking this because one of my sisters is always asking me what did I do with my hair, since she knows I was starting to lose it, and now that I have a hairpiece, she is always asking if I took some pill, or if my hair just start growing again "magically". Last time I saw her, she told me "you are wearing a wig aren't you", of course I said no, she even touched and pulled a little my hair, but she was not very convinced (and I was about to shout to her "mind your own business b**ch" but of course I didn't Big Grin ).

Don't get me wrong, the TL hairpiece is one of the best investments I have ever made for my image, my hairpiece looks awesome, and I managed to style it with the very same style I used when I had hair, my self steem is higher than ever, virtually none of my friends & relatives notice something "funny" about my hair, except for my sister of course, and she is beginning to tell her suspicions to my other siblings and my parents. I feel that sooner my family will learn the truth and I will feel very embarrased.

How did you manage this situation? did you confess to your friends & relatives you are using a hairpiece?, does your wife know? in case she doesn't, doesn't she suspect anything? (specially when she touches your hair, or maybe during intimacy)?

Any honest advice that you could please give, will be much appreciatted.

Regards!!

José
02-22-2010, 04:12 PM,
Re: HELP!, I could use some advice.
Jose,

What stands out to me is that she is asking you what you did to your hair (take pills, etc.). This tells me she notices that it's fuller, but isn't sure what you did. When she asked "you're wearing a hairpiece aren't you?" I think it's just another guess of hers. Perhaps her guesses are due to you not giving her an answer, or maybe you react strangely upon her asking you about your hair (I remember how scared I felt when people commented on my hair).

When I first started wearing, people in my family also noticed the difference (fuller hair). I told them I was taking Propecia. Yes, it's a lie, but that satisfied them. They stopped asking. I imagine if when they asked and I would react by NOT giving them an answer, then they would be suspicious. They'll wonder "why isn't he giving us an answer? It must be a hairpiece!", even though the piece looks amazingly real.

The good thing is that they are still wondering. It shows you have a good piece. If you had a bad piece, your sister wouldn't even ask (because she already knows the answer to what you did). My advice for you is next time they ask, tell them you are taking Propecia (or Rogaine, or whatever). If you want to take it a step further, have a bottle of Rogaine visible in your room (in case your sister might be the type that says, "show me the Rogaine").

Good luck! Keep us updated.

Leamon
02-23-2010, 04:49 PM,
I tell a lot of people.

My immediate family knows, as do most of my friends. I have found that the more I treat it as "no big deal" the more others see it in the same way. For me personally it lifts a lot of weight off of my shoulders knowing that there is no big "secret" that might be uncovered.

I don't generally open a conversation with talk about my hair (although a bald guy at a party recently commented on my mohawk so I immediately spilled the beans, hehe), but I have found that being more open about it gives me peace of mind.
02-24-2010, 04:57 AM,
I've told my closest friends and family know I wear, but other than that I don't make a point of telling people that I wear. JRob makes a good point in that if 'you don't treat it like a big deal others won't treat it as a big deal either.' If you had your teeth straightened would you go around telling people?
02-24-2010, 09:02 AM,
Hey, guy.

Thought I'd chime in. I started wearing hair when I was 19. I had an operation at 21 that pretty much scarred up my head. So, wearing is less an option and more a necessity for me.

I remember a time when I thought I'd die of embarrassment if someone found out. I've always been pretty meticulous about my hair (my hair providers would probably use the word "anal" Smile). The guy who has cut my hair over the past several years paid me a compliment, recently. He said I pushed him to make the product and his technique better, which helped his other customers. Like I said, "Anal".

Anyway. I met a beautiful woman who would become my wife. We were both in the media, so I wasn't intimidated that she was a newscaster, but I struggled with the hair thing. We moved in together after about 6 months. When that happened, I sat her down on the couch.

" I've got to tell you something."

" What?" Her eyes were already big.

" It's nothing that would affect you. It's about me."

"What?"

As I struggled to tell her my biggest secret, I saw her face relax and then tense again: " Is that ALL?" she asked, breathlessly.

" Uh-huh."

And then she sort of laughed. Apparently, in her mind, a number of other horrors preceded a hairpiece on her boyfriend.

From that, and simply by growing older (I'm now 47) I've learned it's not really a big deal unless it is to you. I don't go down the street with a bullhorn announcing that I'm wearing. On the other hand, I know that secrets dig at you and if it comes to a point where someone knowing worries me too much, I'll sit them down and tell them. And here's what has happened.

I'd say 9 out of 10 were surprised. The other suspected, but wasn't sure. You can't fool all the people all the time. Smile If it's a choice between telling them and fretting whether they know 24 hours a day, I think the 1st option is much better.

I will tell you that someone close to you won't give a rip. You'll be fine. Smile
02-24-2010, 01:35 PM,
Hello everyone

Thank you sooooooooo much for all your advices!!, it has really been quite useful and also comforting to know that I'm not the only one with these kind of situations. Many, many thanks for your experiences, your points of view, and also the help.

I guess I was making a big deal, and regarding my sister, if she keeps digging about my hair, I will let her know the truth. Who knows?, maybe she'll also go for a TL unit, since her hair is also kind of thin. And if she starts making a big deal about my hairpiece, who cares right?, at least I know I look just freaking awesome!! Big Grin

Please, if someone else would like to share a similar story, or experience, I'm here to listen.

Thanks & best regards!!

José