Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silicone spray
05-09-2009, 04:20 PM,
Silicone spray
Anyone know if food grade silicone spray would work to keep the shine and moisture out of the hair?

I use the Blue Max but it's pretty thick and I think a thinner solution that can be used in an atomizer would work far better. I came across this food grade silicone and wonder if I should give it a try.
05-10-2009, 05:12 AM,
Re: Silicone spray
I'd recommend a shine spray from any hair product company. They are fragranced and are meant for hair. They all contain silicone. Food spray might make you smell funky.
05-10-2009, 11:42 AM,
I actually did develop a spray along with the Serum. I gave out some samples but I didn't officially release it.

I might have the lab tweak the formula a bit (although people really liked it as is) and release it at a later time.

The thing with a lighter silicone is that it is going to have a higher concentration of cyclomethicone and a lower concentration of dimethicone/dimethiconol. Basically what this means is that the hair might temporarily feel softer, but the cyclomethicone evaporates quickly and doesn't do as good of a job of coating the hair shaft to lock in existing moisture. A spray would need the right balance of goodies to promote softness but avoid buildup and too much shine.

Like I said, I might try to revisit the spray idea, but I want to make a couple of small tweaks to help it work in conjunction with the rest of the line.

I've also been doing some research and have some ideas for a few other products. More good stuff to come....
05-12-2009, 05:55 AM,
OK JRob.

What is the best way to apply and how much BM serum should be used?

Perhaps I tried using it AFTER the unit was already beyond dry..LOL I tend to wear a unit awhile. I use a full cap and have recently decided to go all Swiss,
05-12-2009, 05:56 AM,
JamesKennedy Wrote:I'd recommend a shine spray from any hair product company. They are fragranced and are meant for hair. They all contain silicone. Food spray might make you smell funky.

Not to mention a n unusual canine attraction may develop,.......

I may try that.
05-12-2009, 06:26 AM,
I use the TDI Pretti-Slick leave in conditioner. Just spray it on while hair is damp and brush it through. Detangles and helps soften the hair as well as protecting against UV rays. I believe Debbie sells it.
05-12-2009, 02:31 PM,
TomBongi Wrote:OK JRob.

What is the best way to apply and how much BM serum should be used?

Perhaps I tried using it AFTER the unit was already beyond dry..LOL I tend to wear a unit awhile. I use a full cap and have recently decided to go all Swiss,

Put a small amount on your fingertips. How much? Well, if you were to put it in the palm of your hand maybe about a dime size amount. Apply evenly to towel dried hair immediately after washing and conditioning.

Keep in mind that although people have gotten good results using it on older hair, its best use is as a preventative. Start using it on a new piece and keep using it for the entire life of the unit.

I think what you are looking for is something that will "revive" an old piece. As I mentioned I do have some ideas that I want to pursue based upon my research. Can't really discuss anything yet, but I will be working with the lab on some "restorative treatment" products.
05-14-2009, 05:06 PM,
Yeah. I don;t realize how dry the old unit gets until a new one arrives. I kind of prefer the in between on the dry and the new. I like the dry look as it doesn;t look like PERFECT hair. few people have naturally perfectly hydrated hair. Imperfection leads to a tougher detection. I cut in my hair looking like I am on my way to the barber not coming from the stylist. Little things keep the illusion working. People are always shocked when I reveal the unit because it does not look like a typical unit in its style or perfection.
05-15-2009, 05:00 PM,
TomBongi Wrote:Yeah. I don;t realize how dry the old unit gets until a new one arrives. I kind of prefer the in between on the dry and the new. I like the dry look as it doesn;t look like PERFECT hair. few people have naturally perfectly hydrated hair. Imperfection leads to a tougher detection. I cut in my hair looking like I am on my way to the barber not coming from the stylist. Little things keep the illusion working. People are always shocked when I reveal the unit because it does not look like a typical unit in its style or perfection.

I have been saying for awhile that the "sweet spot" comes about halfway through the lifespan of the piece. It's settled in perfectly, not too much shedding, the hair looks more natural, etc. That's why I love styling products. They allow me to cheat the hair by using more wax in the beginning and end. In the middle you can get away with a more "natural" look since the hair looks its best.

And I totally agree that the details are what make a piece. Slight imperfections and such are never associated with hairpieces. I don't even bother to ensure a perfectly symmetrical hairline. You look at a lot of natural hairlines and they are a bit crooked.
05-17-2009, 04:00 AM,
I put a few drops in my spray conditioner bottle, and spray it on everyday.