Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will wearing ruin the hair underneath the piece?
05-22-2009, 02:04 PM,
Will wearing ruin the hair underneath the piece?
I have a couple of Toplace units that I bought about two years ago and never took the plunge to wear them. I have started taking DHT blockers to maintain my existing hair and see what grows back and what doesn't. I am starting to regrow some hair in previously bald areas and am thickening up quite a bit, but my hairloss on top is pretty extensive, and I would like to start wearing these units that i have.

I'm concerned though that if I slap these things on and glue them down that they will interfere with the growth of the hair in the areas that have glue spread on them. Does wearing affect the hair in those areas?

I have both white I-glue and the nasty ultra hold goo adhesive, is the white glue less harmful for the hair because of the lack of solvents in it? I don't want to kill off any hair follicles in the areas that are regrowing, but I really want to use these pieces I have... I'm sick of wearing hats, and don't want to shave my head again!

Any help you could give me would be mucho appreciated.. thanks in avance..
05-23-2009, 11:53 AM,
Re: Will wearing ruin the hair underneath the piece?
Forget any drugs, learn how to wear hair, or shave your head and get on with your life. Smile Seriously Wink
05-24-2009, 07:19 AM,
Quote:Forget any drugs, learn how to wear hair, or shave your head and get on with your life. Smile Seriously Wink

I don't know how to interpret this unhelpful, dismissive comment. I'll take the high road though, and just say that I'm really not interested in anyone's unsolicited advice about how I should live my life. Seriously.

I dug around some more and found my answer elsewhere. If anyone is curious as to what the answer is, here you go:

Yes, the adhesives can cause damage to the existing hair, which may or may not be a concern for you, depending on if you're planning on wearing permanently or not (in which case damaged hair would be covered up all the time anyway).
05-24-2009, 11:17 AM,
How does it damage the hair beneath? This is a slight concern for me if wearing didn't work out.
05-25-2009, 03:08 PM,
Corvid Wrote:
Quote:Forget any drugs, learn how to wear hair, or shave your head and get on with your life. Smile Seriously Wink

I don't know how to interpret this unhelpful, dismissive comment. I'll take the high road though, and just say that I'm really not interested in anyone's unsolicited advice about how I should live my life. Seriously.

Corvid, you are going bald dude. Nothing is going to change that fact. Drugs are expensive and must be taken for life IF they work. Forget about any side effects they might cause. Hell, if you can't ever boink your girlfriend again the little bit of peach fuzz you might grow will be worth it . Right?

I started going bald my junior year in high school. That was in 1973. I started wearing what they called "hair" in 1977. Its very different now. Read the old forum to learn what you can achieve.

I stand by my advice, and there are many people here that can help you learn how to do this.
05-26-2009, 01:54 PM,
Quote:Yes, the adhesives can cause damage to the existing hair, which may or may not be a concern for you, depending on if you're planning on wearing permanently or not (in which case damaged hair would be covered up all the time anyway).

That is a terrifying idea. I was told by multiple sources that if the glue is a medical-grade adhesive, it should have no effect on the health of your still-growing hair, and that your hair will only continue to thin as it would have due to MPB. Who/what is your source? I still have a great deal of existing, shaved hair, underneath, and would hate to find out I'm damaging it. That's not worth it, not if I change my mind about wearing in 6 months or a year or more....
05-26-2009, 02:54 PM,
The only way I can forsee you damaging the hair folicles at all is if you yank the piece off with a strong bond and the glue ends up pulling out your hair. But even then, if you have good hair growth, it should ultimately grow back.

I have not noticed any more hair loss from when I started wearing 6 years ago.

Whoever is giving you that advice has other motives, or is greatly misinformed.
05-26-2009, 03:52 PM,
James, you still have substantially hair growth under where you keep your piece? And your hair count has remained pretty much the same?

That's a relief.

I have definitely found that on the internet, there are lots of alarmists. Though also lots of truth. Damn hard to weed the former out whilst retaining trust in the existence of the latter.