Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who wears full cap?
06-08-2009, 03:15 PM,
Who wears full cap?
Im thinking of going full cap... Ive always just had a piece to cover the top about 7" by 9". But never found it easy to style it it well and blend right. Tried going a bigger one, 8" by 10"... This one was worse but I think the hairdresser didnt do a very good job at it anyway but now Im wondering how people find the full caps to be. I still thought of keeping some of my hair around the edges and the lower back of head. Maybe about a couple of inches at the back and maybe half an inch aroiund the sides. What you guys think?
06-08-2009, 05:29 PM,
Re: Thinking of going full cap
Keeping your own nape hair will help ease the transition (to touch), but in my opinion, the benefits of keeping hair in that area are negligible. Keep in mind that you will still have blending to worry about if you retain any of your own hair.

The one area that adds a great deal of realism that is very easy to blend is sideburns. If you keep some of your own hair in that area it's very easy to maintain and it goes a long way toward creating a realistic look.
06-08-2009, 11:20 PM,
how do they go all the way at the back near the neck? i mean thats an area that gets a lot of movement with turning ur head isnt it? looking up and down the skin wrinkles up. I no my current hair line is where the skin wrinkles up and stretches all the time... is there a thread with some good pics of a full cap? im in australia so would never get to any of those conventions u talk about.
06-09-2009, 05:14 AM,
anubi5 Wrote:how do they go all the way at the back near the neck? i mean thats an area that gets a lot of movement with turning ur head isnt it? looking up and down the skin wrinkles up. I no my current hair line is where the skin wrinkles up and stretches all the time... is there a thread with some good pics of a full cap? im in australia so would never get to any of those conventions u talk about.

You have to use strong tape at the nape. Overlap the tape a tiny fraction of an inch to reduce the ridge in the transition area. Dino and I both use blue liner back there and have no problems with lifting, and mine is all the way down below the base of the skull.

I'm also trying a new tape for use at the base and it looks promising. I will give an update when it is fully tested....only on day 2 but so far so good.....
06-09-2009, 02:05 PM,
Im sorry I dont know what you mean by overlap the tape a fraction... Do you mean have the tape partly past the lace so that some of the hair also sticks to the tape?
06-09-2009, 03:28 PM,
On poly I have had success using clear Scotch tape with Blue Liner for the nape as Blue liner is a bitch to get off the poly. I recently used Red Liner to the poly and Blur Liner over it.

But NOW I use all lace and St-30 on sides Blur Liner in the bacK I do not line the whole edge. I use three 2" strips
One center one on left and right corners behind ears. front is no shine or glue.

I like the cap and would not go back to a partial. Blending is simply not an issue and I do leave some sideburns.
06-11-2009, 02:46 AM,
Has anyone gone with a full cap then decided to go back to a topper?
06-11-2009, 02:17 PM,
anubi5 Wrote:Im sorry I dont know what you mean by overlap the tape a fraction... Do you mean have the tape partly past the lace so that some of the hair also sticks to the tape?

Yes. Apply the tape to the base so that it extends a tiny bit into the hair. Not too much....just enough to ease the transition.

The only person who went back to a topper that I am aware of is Snipe. Can't remember why though.
06-11-2009, 03:25 PM,
TomBongi Wrote:On poly I have had success using clear Scotch tape with Blue Liner for the nape as Blue liner is a bitch to get off the poly. I recently used Red Liner to the poly and Blur Liner over it.

But NOW I use all lace and St-30 on sides Blur Liner in the bacK I do not line the whole edge. I use three 2" strips
One center one on left and right corners behind ears. front is no shine or glue.

I like the cap and would not go back to a partial. Blending is simply not an issue and I do leave some sideburns.

Why use blue liner? whats special about it? I thought ST30 was the ultimate tape? The walker no shine i find sticks well on top. What is your reason for using blue liner instead of these please?
06-11-2009, 04:37 PM,
Re: Who wears full cap?
The other tapes might stick for a day or two, but due to the nature of blue liner (it essentially breaks down into a super tacky "glue"), it doesn't tend to lift in that area like the other "stiffer" tapes do.

By all means....try other tapes and glues.....but this has been my experience and Dino's experience as well. nothing else seems to hold properly in that area.