Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few questions before first order (pics)
01-01-2018, 07:16 AM,
A few questions before first order (pics)
Hi all-
I think I’ve read through most of this forum by now, but I did want to clarify a few questions before I started down this road.

For a little backstory, I’m a 22yo (M) who started losing their hair about 17. As of now I still have the majority of my hair up top (with the exception of a heavily receded hairline 1.5+inch both sides) but it’s thin enough scalp is visible constantly dry or wet and has 0 lift or style. I keep it long enough to style but it’s going toward a “combover” look in the wind at this point so my plan is to shave the thinned area. I’ve been using Toppik to mask the hairline so I think it’s a good time as I will avoid all of the typical Monday-Morning-New-Hair questions.

My questions are- I was thinking of ordering a stock unit first for time-sake, but I wanted to make sure that the stock unit density would be natural for someone my age. I’ve never had thick hair, but I want to go for something like the attached hairstyles and want to make sure it wouldn’t look as if my hair is thinning with the new piece. I’ve seen photos on the forum where it looks very thick and others where scalp shows through even dry (which at my age isn’t what I’m going for). Are there any styles that should be avoided to avoid that look with stock density?

If I choose a color (luckily my hair is a very even medium brown all over with no lighter areas) that is too dark/light will the hair typically respond properly if I dye it and my hair at the same time to match?

Lastly: How does one know where to “stop” the shave at the back of my head? Is it just where I can fee the hair getting thick again?

Thanks all!

Attached Files Image(s)

01-03-2018, 05:56 PM,
RE: A few questions before first order
Hi Chatmo

The stock unit density is a bit on the high side, and you won't look thinning, but it's not as high as the guys in those photos. I wouldn't be surprised if those male model types were bulking up their hair with clip-in extensions etc. If you want that kind of luxuriant look you should probably get a custom piece with 110 - 120 percent density. Be aware that it will be a dramatic and eye catching transition - not many guys in real life have hair like that.

Dyeing hair system hair is best avoided, especially if you are new to the subject. Because it has been processed, the system hair takes on color much faster than your natural hair, so it is easy to end up with a mismatch. Much better to send in a sample of your own hair and get a good color match to begin with.

Just shave off the weak hair, but try to get an even shape - an even curve or a straight line - because it is easier to apply tape that way. If you need help off-line with the shape, feel free to email me at keltinthedelta at yahoo dot com.

Rich