Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New photo sent in from a full cap wearer
03-24-2010, 02:44 AM,
Re: New photo sent in from a full cap wearer
Jcoors you're a good looking bloke. The piece suits you, just wondering: do you use your own hair at the nape?
03-24-2010, 06:31 AM,
Looks great, and he has the good thick eye brows to pull it off at that density Smile
03-24-2010, 09:53 AM,
HH: yeah, the hair at the back below the crown is mine. It blends pretty easily.
03-24-2010, 02:54 PM,
Thats a good look Joe.

As I recall from your earlier posts, you went from distinctly bald at the front (even with concealers) to having a thick full head of hair. How have you coped with that transition? Have people noticed? If so, have they commented, and how have you responded? Are you open about wearing a hairpiece?

Ted
03-24-2010, 05:51 PM,
Ted: the piece made a very significant difference in my appearance. I knew a lot of people would notice the change so I attempted to distort people's perceptions of what I looked like beforehand - I wore a hat to work for 2 weeks then I attached over a long weekend. Additionally, I started out with a smaller partial; I later transitioned to the larger partial I wear now.

Still, the change was too dramatic and most people noticed. It was interesting to see who commented and who didn't. The piece looked good so I told people I grew it out. Most people believed me or didn't care, a couple seemed skeptical but who cares. Another important factor is the delivery - toward the beginning I was nervous and didn't know what to say and got flustered; later on I responded with an arched eyebrow, nonchalant voice and, "oh, yeah, I grew out my hair - thanks for noticing. How's it look?" Proper delivery serves as deflection.

The transition will always be awkward to one degree or another. Wearing isn't for the faint of heart.
03-24-2010, 11:45 PM,
Thanks Joe. You are pretty ballsy to go for it when your friends have already seen you bald. Respect.

I am toying with the idea of transitioning from a topper to a full headpiece where I just retain the real hair at the nape and my sideburns. Partly it's because my sides are thinning, but also because I have read others express the opinion that it is less embarrassing if people find out you are wearing a full wig than if they discover you are wearing a 'toupee'. Their reasoning is that you could be wearing a full wig for any number of reasons, and it could even be a lifestyle choice, whereas a toupee says vain, balding and trying a cover-up. As someone who has tried both, have you any thoughts on this?

I should say that I have been happy with my regular for 2 years now. I am also put off by the very odd appearance I would have if I had to take the full wig off, say at hospital, with just sideburns and neckhair LOL.
03-26-2010, 02:51 PM,
Baldrich Wrote:I am toying with the idea of transitioning from a topper to a full headpiece where I just retain the real hair at the nape and my sideburns. Partly it's because my sides are thinning, but also because I have read others express the opinion that it is less embarrassing if people find out you are wearing a full wig than if they discover you are wearing a 'toupee'. Their reasoning is that you could be wearing a full wig for any number of reasons, and it could even be a lifestyle choice, whereas a toupee says vain, balding and trying a cover-up. As someone who has tried both, have you any thoughts on this?

I should say that I have been happy with my regular for 2 years now. I am also put off by the very odd appearance I would have if I had to take the full wig off, say at hospital, with just sideburns and neckhair LOL.

That is an interesting point Rich.

Almost everyone who switches to a full cap says the same thing- they immediately find it more acceptable, even if just in their own minds. I know I personally had a completely different outlook on wearing the day I switched.

I think there are a number of things at play here that cause this psychological shift, but you did a good job of touching on a few of them.

Also....you might want to try shaving your nape hair and using the hair on the full cap if it gets to be bothersome for any reason. My methods for modifying and attaching in that area can give excellent results using only the hair on the hairpiece.
10-27-2011, 04:06 PM,
RE: New photo sent in from a full cap wearer
wow, jcoors. what are the specs there? anyone know? thats great density.. anyone know the percentage?