Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salon gave me unrealistic hairline - looking to switch to Toplace
09-17-2016, 10:00 AM,
Salon gave me unrealistic hairline - looking to switch to Toplace
Hey, so yesterday, I got my first hair system. When styled, it's everything I wanted and more. The color is a perfect match and the hair is great. However, there is one major caveat: the hairline. Luckily, I don't like hairstyles that show the hairline, even when I had hair, but it's more a concern of if someone lifted my hair back or played with my bangs.

I'm pretty sure my salon is selling standard units as custom. I should have been suspect when they ordered my system without making a template. They took measurements, but they made the template 4 weeks later when the hair arrived. And seemingly went in back and trimmed it? It's apparently a super fine Swiss lace front with thin skin sides and back, but it just doesn't look passable at all when you lift the front hair straight up and look at the hairline. Either it's a system without any real hairline or they applied it poorly or both.

But, otherwise, when styled it is what I was looking for. So, I want to see what id have to do to replicate this system and buy it from toplace. It's currently bonded and I only have one system right now, so I can't exactly send it in.

I'll post a picture of the hairline below so you can see how odd it looks. The picture unfortunately does not do it justice. From my eye level, when I lift up the hair, I can see under the lace and see and feel an all too obvious ridge.

Attached Files Image(s)

09-17-2016, 10:27 AM,
RE: Salon gave me unrealistic hairline - looking to switch to Toplace
I can also see the lace in person, but can't get it to show in the photo. In the photo, it just looks like a slightly different shade of skin around the perimeter of the system but in person you can discern the holes of the lace in that area.
09-17-2016, 11:21 AM,
looks to me as they did a poor job trimming the front, meaning they left stubbly hairs..plus the knots are visible...'m uploading your pic that i resized and flipped...you can either save it, then delete yours and upload mine or just delete yours.
the one you put up is huge and makes the thread really a pain to read.

Attached Files Image(s)

09-17-2016, 11:26 AM,
Sorry, I've been trying to delete it but the page just keeps glitching out when I press remove.
09-17-2016, 11:56 AM,
hmmm...trying saving my image to your pc...then go and edit your post...at the bottom add attch then update...
btw your suspicions are correct. that is a stock cut to your template...otherwise the template is done first..then sent out..unit comes back made to the template and you cut away excess lace.
i think its funny when they make you wait 4 weeks and then do what they could have done 4 weeks before! that is take the stock and cut it to your template.
personally i think its mind game...they have you waiting on them for this "custom" made wonder...anticipation building...etc...etc then most people dont have the nerve to say "hey wait a second....."
09-17-2016, 12:15 PM,
It added it twice, but at least they are both small sized pictures now.

So, what do people here think I should do? I paid a full year up front ($4064 with tax) and can get all of it refunded except for the initial unit ($995) and the first two months ($511). So, $1506 is not refundable and I'd get $2,558 back. I know that systems from toplace, like french lace systems, can be had for $249. How many do I need per year? 4? 5? So, Im guessing about $1300 a year on the systems if I buy from toplace and then what should I expect for haircuts? Im assuming once a month hair cuts and that I can learn to do the bonds myself. I've heard hair cuts cost more for hair wearers, but how much more?

Essentially, will the $2,558 be enough for a full year of toplace (not just the system costs but hair cuts and maintenance as well)? How much should I expect to spend per year total wearing and maintaining my hair? I am not a very sweaty person and Minnesota is not exactly hot, so i'm hoping the systems will hold up well.
09-17-2016, 12:46 PM,
i would get my money back, that is crazy...use the 2 months to learn, tweak your style etc....i am assuming that the 2 months is for maintenance and does not include new systems...
when you are happy with your cuts take pics from all angles...then when you order your custom from here you can email debbie splitendshairreplacement
the pictures and send her the system. she does a really great remote cut in.
when it arrives you just gently and slowly touch up the edges. this is what i do.
to cut my bio hair i just use clippers, but i cut mine short...perhaps a flowbee would be better for you..
count on 3 to 4 systems a year, of course that depends on care and lifestyle too
09-17-2016, 01:15 PM,
Ok, thanks. That's great advice so far. I have found a guy who wears hair that John from toplace recommends to help me locally. My main issue is that my salon only gave me one system and its on my head, so I can't exactly send it in. I do actually like the cut quite a lot when combed. The only thing that bothers me is the hairline. Other then sending it in, is there any other way to make a template? Obviously my head is already shaved on top so whatever system I get has to use that area. Perhaps I can just go to who John recommends and he can detach it and make a template using it and my exposed head?

My other main concern is the sending in the hair sample as I just had my cut in so my hair on side and back are quite short. How long does this hair sample have to be?
09-17-2016, 01:53 PM,
you dont use the piece to make the template...detach..use a clear shower cap...the following is copy and pasted
put the cap on make sure it was pulled down all the way and tight to my head. use some scotch tape to go around my head so it wouldn't move around. I taped just above my eyes so I have plenty of room to work with when tracing my head shape onto it. Now that it is secure to my head I trim the excess below off, which is a lot. It covers almost my whole face when it's pulled all the way down and tight.

At this point I'm comfortable with it to draw on. then apply a few layers of packing tape..front to back...side to side and then again front to back. this stiffens the template and retains the shape.

Once this is done I take it off, and cut according to the shape you drew.
of course then you would want to re attach.
i would say an inch or so. if your hair has varying colors then take a few samples... from different areas, put them in separate bags and mark where each came from.
09-17-2016, 04:25 PM,
Alright, I'm going to see if the person John recommended can detach and make the template for me. If not, I'll try this myself. I'm mostly afraid of re attaching as I've never done it.

Also, since my system is on and my top hair has been shaved off, how should I go about matching the system to my hair? Should I just send a sample in from the back and sides? (They are quite short right now as it was just cut in days ago).