Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toluene: Does anyone avoid bonds containing this chemical ingredient?
04-23-2016, 09:17 AM,
Toluene: Does anyone avoid bonds containing this chemical ingredient?
Hello,

I currently use Ultra Hold for 3 weeks at a time and it works just fine. No issues. I have recently discovered that some glue ingredients are supposedly toxic. The biggest one I could find was toluene. I would like to avoid potentially harmful chemicals. But there is not much chat about it online. Surely someone has figured out the least harsh glues out there...

I was wondering if anyone else here has avoided bonds that contain toluene. If so, what else did you go with? Would I be able to get a 3 week hold from something other than Ultra Hold?

Regards,

EarlyTwenties
04-24-2016, 08:53 AM,
RE: Toluene: Does anyone avoid bonds containing this chemical ingredient?
Hi Earlytwenties,
Walker Ultra Hold has been around for a long time without any issues. The federal government in the US and major countries around the world regulate and monitor the usage of chemicals. They issue Safety Data Sheets (SDS) to the public. Prior to 2012 these disclosure sheets were known as Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) with the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS). All manufacturers are required to have a labeling and hazardous communication programs up to date. All manufactures of glues and tapes make this information available to the public if requested. Walker will provide this data sheet to you if you request it.

An independent lab conducted extensive tests on Ultra Hold in 2007 and found that it did not present a health risk. Note that a chemcial can cause an allergy but not be toxic. Even milk causes an allergic reaction in some people. It's always a good idea to test a small piece of skin with glue just to make sure there is no allergic reaction.
Regards,
John