Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a scalloped front? (Photos)
03-15-2010, 01:04 AM,
What is a scalloped front? (Photos)
I get asked this question a lot. For the newbies, a scalloped front is where the lace or skin on a front hair line is cut in a sawtooth fashion--zig zags. Years ago in 'the olden days' this made some sense since many of the units were ventilated in the 'doll's hair' fashion or just a wall of hair. It broke up the hairline and made it slightly more realistic. And back then the bases were thicker and very detectable---you couldn't make the base disappear like our bases today do. So today scallops are no longer necessary. Our factory ventilates the hairline in a staggered fashion to replicate how real human hair grows. The hairs are not lined up perfectly in a straight line. The lace or skin just disappears on the scalp. There's another benefit to not having a scalloped front. With a scalloped front you have to make sure that each one of the 'teeth' is properly glued down. That's a pain in the butt. It's very time consuming and difficult to achieve---let alone maintain throughout the day. A staggered hairline achieves a natural hair line and makes the attachment much more easier since you don't have to worry about each 'tooth' being glued down perfectly. With a staggered hairline the lace can be cut in a rounded fashion and it's easier to use glue or tape to get the front down securely. The front hairline is critical to pulling off an undetectable look and a staggered hairline is essential.
Regards,
John
03-16-2010, 03:54 PM,
Re: What is a scalloped front?
The only exception to that would be the nape area of a full cap. I have found that by cutting a sawtooth pattern into the back, I am able to get a stronger, less detectable attachment. I use tape in the back which I apply directly to the lace in that area, so it is very easy to get everything tacked down. Here are the before and after pics-

[Image: IMGP46431.JPG]

[Image: IMGP46411.JPG]

And one showing where I apply tape-

[Image: IMGP46411.JPG]
03-17-2010, 09:32 AM,
Re: What is a scalloped front?
Good point, JRob. It's easy to do a scallop edge on the back since the hair is going downward and you don't have to be concerned about the 'hair line' being exposed.