Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dangers of using a "hard bond" for adhesive
03-04-2016, 07:14 AM,
Dangers of using a "hard bond" for adhesive
Hello,

I have been wearing for three weeks now, and the stylist insisted on going "hardbond". I knew deep down that there was some mentions on the internet that its toxic and such, but I ignored it just for a one-time try.

Well,.... my scalp did get very itchy, almost unbearably so, and when I took it off, there were many red parts on my scalp (some bleeding) where the poly portion of the unit was hard-bonded. Furthermore, the hair that was underneath it was toast. Like, did't grow at all in comparison to the surrounding hair. So imagine a big "U" of ungrown sickly looking hair with some red breaks in the skin (either from itching or just having glue there for 3 weeks)

So now, I know it is supposedly toxic, very itchy after a week, harms my skin, and possibly is killing my natural hair follicles.

My only issue is that I WANT my backup plan to hairwearing to be a good old fashioned head shave. I mean, that's why I went hairsystem vs transplant. I knew that a bad transplant would scar me for life, but a hairsystem is a choice. I could do with it or without it as long as I dont disfigure myself in the process of trying to look better.

So, with that said, does anyone know any additional reasons not to use a hardbond glue for 3 weeks at a time? (i was dying of itchiness at week 2)

If I had the discipline, patience, and skill, I would probably use Got2B glued on the poly and ORWG, ghostbond, or tape for the hairline. But I find the process pretty laborious. I am thinking of switching to thin skin since it may better suit my lifestyle and desire to use Got2B everywhere while not having to worry about excess Got2B seeping through lace and hardening my hair. My only issue is my stylist. I signed a "contract" with him but he said that if people want to leave, they can either "buy out their system" (which is a cheap system worth $200) at $1000 (ridiculous), or give him back the systems and walk away (somehow I feel I'll get shafted if I ask to do this). He is also one of 2 stylists in my entire city, so I'll be burning a bridge there. *sigh*

Alright guys, rant over. I can post pics of the hardbond damage to my scalp, but thought I'd leave it out unless requested by someone personally.
03-05-2016, 01:19 PM,
RE: Dangers of using a "hard bond" for adhesive
Clearly you have a bad reaction to the acrylic glue he is using, and you should stop him using it. All the same, I don't think an allergic reaction like that will have killed off your hair follicles in that space of time. My understanding is that that only happens because of traction over time. I think your hair will grow back. I had a hardbond when I first started wearing, and that was my experience. It would help to see a photo though.

Acrylic hardbond and Got2BeGlued are not the only options. There is a huge selection of water-based glues and tapes which will give you 7 - 10 days of hold without the allergic issues. Why not consider one of those instead?
03-06-2016, 08:43 AM,
never had any reactions to adhesives
03-06-2016, 01:22 PM,
(03-05-2016, 01:19 PM)Baldrich Wrote: Clearly you have a bad reaction to the acrylic glue he is using, and you should stop him using it. All the same, I don't think an allergic reaction like that will have killed off your hair follicles in that space of time. My understanding is that that only happens because of traction over time. I think your hair will grow back. I had a hardbond when I first started wearing, and that was my experience. It would help to see a photo though. If you don't want to put it on the web, email to keltinthedelta at yahoo dot com.

Acrylic hardbond and Got2BeGlued are not the only options. There is a huge selection of water-based glues and tapes which will give you 7 - 10 days of hold without the allergic issues. Why not consider one of those instead?

Yeah. I did overreact a bit. Looking back, the lack of hair wasn't due to it not growing back. But rather because he removed the system quickly by using clippers to cut away the hair stuck to the glue. My mistake.

However, I did have red bumps and one was bleeding. My stylist insisted it was my fault for scratching. But I honestly do not know how to last 3 weeks with the same hard bond on the back poly without it itching like crazy. The red bumps I had were not a reaction, but just due to the dirty condition - basically from not having cleaned the area in a long time.

I am still learning the ropes of wearing. I just want to climb the learning curve before I give up and take it off. Some things seem impossible to me, like getting a perfect bond at the hairline. I can never get it to work with tape (even my stylist's front tape attachment isnt undetectable and lifts). And I know glue is to be used for a hairline attachment, but I dont think I can get that done without removing the entire system off for cleaning when im hardbonded for 3 weeks at a time on the poly back and sides.

Since I am not exposing my hairline anyway due to this, I am thinking of going thin skin. Does anyone know the best options for bonding thin skin?
03-08-2016, 04:46 PM,
You have basically answered your own question. To leave a piece on for 3 weeks means your scalp gets dirty and itchy, and maybe a bit irritated. It's just not a good idea.

If you are going to wear hair, do it sustainably. Take the piece off once a week and give your head a break and a good clean. That way, you can get a good glued hairline too, and the look is always fresh.