Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First timer
05-09-2015, 11:01 PM,
First timer
This has been 1 year in the making and I have finally had my first hair piece attached last night. It took me many months of reading this forum and studying what to do, what products other people use, maintenance tips, etc. I originally was planning on trying to do everything myself, but was starting to get overwhelmed with all the unknowns and things that could go wrong. As I'm currently living in London, I discovered some other commenters here mentioning they had used Joanna at Forever Hair in London. After getting in touch with her and setting up a consultation, she quickly took all of my worries away. She is a fantastic stylist who knows her stuff and has had a ton of experience dealing with fitting and styling hair pieces. I'm certainly glad that I was working with her because she helped to identify what the exact color of my hair is (I'm a 3Ash which I never would have known) and also to help with coloring the hair piece when I got it because TopLace doesn't have the 3Ash color. The closest they have is 4Ash so she was able to darken it slightly. I would recommend her to anyone in the London area, she was a lifesaver for me!

And also a big thanks to John at TopLace for helping me with shipping and quickly answering all of my questions.

I went with a French lace base this time as I didn't want anything too delicate for my first piece. They're a little thicker than others but it's hardly noticeable and I'm not exposing the hair line so it's not a big deal. I may go with a SFS in the future especially if I decide to style it back. I'm also using tape over glue right now as my intention was to be removing it fairly frequently. I planned to not sleep in it every night to add a little life to the base, and I also workout frequently including swimming and decided that it would just be easier for me to remove the piece and wear a hat/bandana/swim cap when I'm doing that.

Attached Files Image(s)

05-10-2015, 01:21 AM,
RE: First timer
Hi Murana99 -- Congratulations on your first post and first attachment ..really nice result there and I`m sure your photos will be of interest to people considering wearing..there`s a lot to take in and having a good / experienced stylist at your elbow, can really help ease the stress of it all..... I wear French lace too ..it`s only marginally ` heavier` than Swiss, but can withstand wear just that little bit longer ....you could easily specify a Swiss lace hairline area and French lace over the other areas on your next order if you want...... also, it`s always advised to have a ` spare` or back-up system to hand in case of sudden shedding or some other unforeseen disaster ..... nice of you to share your experience and photos and all the best in the wearing-game...Paul.
05-10-2015, 08:41 PM,
Great result M99. I couldn't possibly guess from looking at that photo that it was anything other than a full head of natural hair. You made a wise choice of style to start with - the very essence of a normal guy-next-door hairstyle.

I don't think many younger guys take their units off at night, so I will be interested to hear how daily wear works out for you. The downsides are that it will be quite a bit of work to get an exposable-grade hairline every morning, and you will have to go for lighter-hold adhesives. But you surely will make the piece look better longer. Let us know how that goes.
05-11-2015, 06:51 AM,
looks good,i wanted a sfsl hairline, from my salon , she seid the supplier only does sfsl crown+hairline units(not a top lace piece)
I don't like lace anywhere else except where I think it matters hairline, because its a pain to clean,
I don't mind cleaning the smaller lace hairline area because its worth it
just the adhesive coming through the hair, snagging on a larger area like the crown ect is a pain.
as the medium skin + sfsl hairlines units had reports of tearing
I v ended up with a medium skin scalloped hairline.
I would have loved sfsl hairline the difference in the venting directions, to skin are worlds apart my current unit costs £240
inc cut in +bond,
but I do like the face to face touch and advice