Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Tones Issue
01-18-2015, 06:21 PM,
Red Tones Issue
I was advised by someone who colors hair professionally, and has experience with hair systems to use a dark brown demi-permenant hair color on my black hair system to remove excess red and orange tones. It's Redken Shades EQ Cream Dark Chocolate 3NA. It's a blue-violet base so according to the hair tone corrective charts it's supposed to diminish yellow and orange, and I think it did. However the excess red is still there and it's too intense and bright for growing black hair which naturally has a dark red-brown tone. I figured the dark brown color of the dye would correct that, but I don't know for sure. I'm trying to contact him, but he hasn't responded so far. I couldn't find a green based toner which is supposed to correct red anywhere, does anybody know of one and recommend it? I did find some products though, PPI Color Correcting Red Shampoo, Colorful Red Out Shampoo, Black Malva Shampoo, Black Malva Color Conditioner, and Back2Natural. The first 4 products are specifically for red tones in black hair, which is what I figure I really need, while Back2Natural is for red orange and gold tones in dark brown. Of those first four, PPI is the cheapest so I'm wondering if I should try that first. I know some people just use black hair color, which I'm open to trying too if anyone would recommend that instead and give any guidance.
http://www.hairfad.com/images/hair-color-chart.png
http://www.howtohairgirl.com/wp-content/....46-PM.png
01-20-2015, 06:36 AM,
RE: Red Tones Issue
Hi again.... Red tones are an on-going issue on system hair, or so it seems.... crops up a lot .... coloring can be a bit of a minefield.....there have been quite a number of posts regarding it over the years ..... here are some you may find of help [ or not ! ] It`s a fairly ` technical` thing and a professional colorist would be best placed to advise you..... you may find a few tips on this link:
http://www.forum.toplace.com/search.php?...order=desc
02-19-2015, 09:11 AM,
I've used the PPI Color Correcting Shampoo before and saw no difference with red tones diminishing. It's a dark blue color, so that's probably the reason it didn't work very well. A color conditioner with green based tones is what's needed to correct red tones.

On some other forums Aveda Black Malva Color Conditoner is highly recommended to resolve red tone issues for 1b hair, but caution using it is advised because leaving it on too long will sometimes leave green tones in the hair. Also, Back2Natural Dark Ash Brown is formulated with a green base to it so that will definitely help with the red tones. I've used Back2Natural for years now and love it. (It does tend to dry out system hair a little bit, so I always condition my system hair after using it.}

Personally, I'd get both products and experiment to see which one works best. Another thing to try is using some of both mixed together, or on top of each other, to get more or less of an effect that suits your needs.

What ever you decide, I'd start with leaving the product(s) on for a minimal amount of time, dry and check the color of a small section of the hair, and up the application time accordingly until you get the result you're looking for.
02-19-2015, 11:58 AM,
aurfero color conditioner solved my red tones issue...doesnt dry hair either..you can look for it on ebay, or the hair4all site...its the same seller