Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help w/ Template please! (Pics)
01-11-2015, 07:51 AM,
RE: Help w/ Template please! (Pics)
Your second set of photos give a better impression of your situation .... you still have a pretty `good` amount of hair ...the size or shape of the template doesn`t matter as such... it`s the hair-direction [` Ventilation` as it`s called] which matters.... just mark arrows on the template so they know which direction to tie the hair in on the lace.... mark the words ` Front` and ` Back` on it too .... enclose some of those photos and it will be a good help too ....
I think the suggestion above from ` lovehair` would probably be good ....it`s still hard to tell if you have / had temple-recession ... depending on your age, recreating your original hairline and temples could look ` off` ..building in a little age-appropriate recession would really help with the overall ` look`, if you are in your 30`s or older--- the younger you are, the easier /better to replace fully, what was lost ...... probably a medium density is what you need ..you hair looks pretty straight too, or is it just moist and slicked down ? Regards.
01-11-2015, 10:23 AM,
I'm 31. My hair is wet in the pictures. Its got a slight body wave to it. When dry my hair is thick. I made a new template saving the good hair left on the top middle. The template looks like a whale's tail. I labeled the front and back and the temple flaps. I included sample hair from the back upper sides, side near face, back near crown and top front. freestyle vent, bleached hairline and temples. Should I do a SFS lace front with french sides and back? And should i include a crown? I'm most likely gonna wear the hair forward and up in the front.

Attached Files Image(s)

01-11-2015, 11:07 AM,
you're welcome!
sfs in my opiniom is better than french for the front. they both disappear but sfs does so better and when touching it you really dont feel the edge, with french you do a bit...french is fine for the back...personally i wouldnt specify a crown. if the piece was covering a larger area back there then perhaps. even then it would only be if i knew exactly where i wanted it placed.
being this is your first one you cant be certain about placement.

you should post a few pics with the template for input.
you should also post at the other place you inquired. that way you get additional input.
i repled there as well saying i answered here.
01-11-2015, 04:31 PM,
Updated template:

Should i make the template a little smaller than the balding area like in the middle and the crown so i have to shave as little good hair as i have to? I don't know how it would look with little gaps between the hair and the system

Attached Files Image(s)

01-11-2015, 05:49 PM,
hi hareware,

i did a mock up of a very rough look (i'm not a photoshop guru) by cloning your side hair into the template to give a very approximate idea of the result of your template.
i then did the same thing with recession built in, some curvature to the hairline and with out the "wings". i see what you are doing with sides. the thing i think is when you lower those corners the temple points need to come forward. which are what true temple flaps are in my opinion.
i did the same thing with my first piece and to me it just looked off and i wasnt truly happy till i started trimming away as the lace frayed and they were gone.

one thing i realized is a piece with hair will make the hairline appear even lower,fuller etc the "wings" will as well. i guess its because its not just a line drawn anymore and it has volume and depth with hair.

i see by the template that you more or less decided to go with the wrinkle method as opposed to following the edge of your thinned hairline.
just giving you my opinion and perhaps it will look great.

anyhow i always have a problem posting pics on the other site. i suggest, if you dont mind, saving the pics i am including in my reply. theres a photoshop "wiz" over there who can do better than me and probably improve upon my attempt. at the very least i'm sure you'll get additional help, you'll members from 2 sites working with ya for the best result

Attached Files Image(s)

01-12-2015, 05:42 AM,
I c what you're saying. You're hairline looks more natural. I feel like it's too wide a forehead though. I guess i could attempt to do a mix of the both. Yours seems to have longer temple flaps. I added flaps because I assumed if I didn't like them I could cut then off
01-12-2015, 06:43 AM,
I'm on the go right now, but.....what you dont want is to just fill in a wide forehead with just a low wide hairline.
i actually didnt touch your flaps. i recessed the corners added curve.
you would actually want linger flaps that bring the pounts in cliser and fill the temples a bit w/o making it straight across.
temples have finer less dense hair That lays flat and back. if you go that route discuss it with john and yes you can cut them off.
remember with flaps you are now exposing more hairline and need a perfect attachment, its more maintinence etc. being this is your first piece you may find it challenging.
as i suggested post my mock ups at the other place along with your concerns, maybe under a new thread and include a link to the original thread
01-12-2015, 11:12 PM,
I still think you`re covering too much of your growing hair at the back there --- I think if you simply trim the template so that it`s like a tongue-shape it will be fine..... you only need to cover the thin/balding area ...remember, once you have the system sitting onto your head, with hair on it, you won`t see any ` shape` there .... that`s just my take on it .. once there`s hair lying over your own hair, it will ` cover` a lot ...... it`s fine to have a ` gap` with any topper --like, the edge of the lace doesn`t have to be ` against` the growing hair ... in fact lots of guys make their templates deliberately a tadd smaller than the actual bald area ....lace stretches.... the ` gap` ensures your tape/glue isn`t inclined to get onto the growing hair as this causes lifting of the edge in a short time...it also means the system is less detectable to the touch if a person runs their fingers through the hair as the edge is tacked-down flush with scalp skin and not lying partly on top of growing hair...it`s best to have it ever so slightly smaller than to be overlapping growing hair....you`ll end up shaving ` good` hair off to make room for the system.
01-13-2015, 09:08 AM,
Ok so i can have space between the system and hair. I was trying to get as close without having a gap. I will cut it slightly smaller than the balding area and have sort of a bald border around the template.

Also I am considering not getting the hairline bleached or graduated and just ordering the front portion in a blonde and color it myself and use hair remover to make a more natural hairline using a photo of me when i had a full hairline. Is this too much of a task to take on? Also i want to get in professionally cut-in but I will have to remove it when i get home to use the hair remover. will getting it professionally attached then removing hours later gonna be a waste of money? I plan on ordering a piece from toplace and one from northwestlace. Ill have to go with one company first to see if the template is even correct. If i do like it how do i replicate the template to send to the other company? I can't send the piece in because ill be wearing it. Sorry loaded post.
01-13-2015, 08:53 PM,
Just a small space/gap is all you need ...just so you keep as much of your own hair as you can and so the perimeter is not overlapping onto it.....
I`d avoid coloring / thinning the front..that`s really getting into ` deep water` ...as a new wearer you`ll have enough to deal with, without all that. Thinning it out, is very hit-and-miss...the front area is the most visible and it could look totally ` off` if you go ` at it` ... just order the system as normal ---you could ask for a little extra graduation to be included if you feel you need it.....
I usually prep. my system before going to a stylist either by attaching tapes to the base or I simply bring a tube of ` Got2bglued ` spiking glue with me ..this is fast /easy to apply and will hold the thing in place whilst being cut-in....most stylists in ` normal` hair salons don`t want to be fussing around with glues/tapes etc....it`s different if you go to a place where they deal with systems all the time or even sell them [ those ones usually won`t do a cut-in unless you bought a system off them] ... I tape mine with strips of tape, peel all the backing-papers off and fold /crease a few millimeters of each one over ` onto ` itself [to provide a grip-point ] I then ` reverse` the paper strips so the shiny side , is now facing the tape... I lightly press the paper strip back onto the tape...this provides a barrier between scalp-skin and tape ...it allows you to sit the system on, get it positioned properly and then you just remove the paper strips by using the creased-over bit as your grip -point.... you simply work your way around the edge, peeling the papers off and pressing the tape ` home` to /against your scalp..it`s fast and doesn`t delay the stylist.
If you`re ordering from separate suppliers, you`ll have no alternative but to make a 2nd template.