Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Rebond/Cleaning
10-19-2014, 07:16 AM,
First Rebond/Cleaning
I'm going to be doing my first rebond and cleaning, but I have some questions maybe you can help. I'm only using ORWG around the perimeter and some in the center. It's been two weeks since the attactment and the piece is still wearable but some serious lifting is starting. My supplies are 91% isopropyl alcohol as lace release, PURE adhesive remover, Protouch Adhesive Remover(Citrus Based), ORWG, Adjust A Bond, Protouch No Sweat(Antiperspirant), I think I have some dawn dish washing liquid too.

If you can offer me some general guidance along with answering these questions it would be even better since I have no idea what I'm doing. Like what's your method and suggestion for this, since I know techniques vary.
1) I bought those eye/ear liquid dropper tubes. Do I pour the lace release on the top side of the piece through the hair?
2) I read about mirror slide but my stylist says it's better to use a old magazine. Is this the first step?
3) The PURE adhesive remover directions say to apply with a cotton ball, but HairDirect's tutorial says to soak the piece in solvent?
4) I don't have a container to let the piece soak in with the solvent yet. But am I supposed to let the hair get soaked with solvent? For how long?
5) HairDirect's tutorial mentions I should use a finger nail brush after soaking in solvent, then place it back in solvent, then clean the base with dish washing liquid and the brush. Wouldn't the dish wash seep through the lace onto hair? Do you use the finger nail brush?
6) Sometimes the glue comes through the lace onto the hair when I press down on it. This is after like a week of hold, how do I clean that adhesive off the other side in the hair? Is this the point of soaking the piece?
7) How should I clean my scalp? PURE on a cotton ball, then shower?
8) The ORWG says "1 thin coat, let dry clear." So how much is a thin coat really? I remember my stylist applied more than 1 coat, I think 2 coats. Does this increase hold time? Should I apply the second coat after the first dries clear? How long should I wait for the final coat?
9) Adjust a bond might help me, so should I apply that right after the final coat?
How long should all this take me?
10-23-2014, 09:47 AM,
RE: First Rebond/Cleaning
Hi NoHairNoFair,

1. Yes. Fill the dropper with Lace Release then part the hair and direct a few drops onto the lace so that it gets on the tape/glue. Do this wherever there is tape/glue to release. It only takes a few moments and the Lace Release will break the bond and allow you to gently remove the hair piece. You should not have to tug at the hair piece--just gently lift it off.
2. I prefer an old magazine over the mirror too, although both work fine. It's much easier to just toss out the magazine page than clean up the mirror. The idea is just to get the adhesive on a smooth surface and rub it off. Again, gently--no need to apply a lot of pressure.
3. Either one works fine. I've never seen the need for soaking as the Pure works quickly.
4. Sorry--help anyone?
5. I've never done this. Seems a finger nail brush would be rather harsh on the base and knots. Anyone tried this?
6. Are you allowing the glue to get 'tacky' before you apply the hair piece? Some people but the lace down before the glue is tacky and they have this problem. But in your case it happens a week after you put the unit down. Too much glue? What type of glue are you using? I'm guessing you're using too much glue because you shouldn't have any running into the hair.
7. I put PURE directly on my scalp and then rub it with a micro fiber cloth. I've tried cotton balls but they are too small and difficult to use. The micro fibre cloth is so much easier. I pick them up at WalMart of auto supply stores.
8. By 'thin coat' they mean just enough so it dries and becomes tacky in about 20-30 seconds. If it takes longer than that it's on too thick. A second 'thin coat' will increase the hold time. Yes, wait for the first coat to dry completely before you apply the second coat. The first coat should take about a minute to dry completely.
9. Yes, apply the Adjust a Bond after the final coat. Just a light coating is all you need to temporarily break the bond and allow you to position the unit exactly where you want. It should only take about half a minute to apply around the perimeter of the unit.
Good luck!
Regards,
John
http://toplace.com/
10-27-2014, 05:39 AM,
So did my first rebond\cleaning yesterday. It was quite a long and frustrating process. I must've been in the bathroom trying to figure everything out for like 5, 6 hours! For the most part, I think it was a success. I ran into plenty of issues and confusion.

The attachment was 3 weeks old, much longer than what it should have been. I meant to keep it for 1 week. So I didn't even need lace release, it just came right off!

Mirror slide easy.

Applying solvent(PURE brand) to the lace was confusing and tedious. Using those eye droppers to apply was taking way to long. Applying it from the bottle through the cap was slightly quicker/more efficient. I didn't want to take the cap off to avoid pouring out too much, they don't really give you a lot do they? I can't imagine this 4 oz bottle lasting me more than a few more cleanings. I've been told soaking in solvent is necessary by some. So after applying it onto the base, I poured some into a container and put the piece in it. The solvent got all over the hair too. I would like a better solution if their is one. I definitely don't want to soak if I don't have to, I'm using 2 coats of ORWG. And, spraying the the solvent seems like it would be easier then pouring drop by drop.

Citrus solvent(pro touch brand), spray on, applied to scalp, wash off, easy.

Shaving off the stubble from the scalp was problematic. I'm growing out my natural hairline so I can place the system behind it. But I couldn't tell where I wanted my hairline to stop for the system, my stylist was doing it for me, but the hair isnt long enough yet for me to clearly see. Luckily I still had the template she made for me to have this kind of attachment. However, it looks like I still accidentally shaved off a little too much of that hairline I'm trying to grow out.

After cleaning off the solvent with dawn, I still saw some reside left on the piece. I was surprised since I left it to soak in solvent for like 2 hours. I had to rinse under the bath tub faucet and rub it with my finger. Hopefully this is just because I wore the attachment for longer than I should have.

Before reattaching the piece, I tried to see how I should place it on my scalp without glue. I'm completely amazed how you guys can do this lol. Every time I put it on it was always either too forward, or too far back. Being that I probably shaved too much hairline, I deduced that I probably didn't shave enough hair from the back. So I shaved a little more from the back, but the hair that I shaved was not the stubble that grew between the last attachment and now, it was 3 inch long hair that was from my healthy back hair, I was like f*ck!!!!!

After gluing and attaching, I have no idea how well I placed it. Their is a piece of lace in the front that has no glue underneath it to attach to. And their is some lifting in the back that I can't understand. So either their still isn't enough bare scalp in the back, or the piece isn't properly attached, or the piece hasn't been perfectly trimmed to attach to this new surface area that includes my natural hairline(since this piece is of the old template), or a combination of those three.

Also their was so much hair shedding out, and hair coming through the other side of the lace.
10-29-2014, 04:26 PM,
Sorry, I can't offer any advice because I'm still a prospective wearer. But could you explain the mirror slide and why it is so popular? I see it referred to all the time but without explanation.

Thanks.
11-08-2014, 05:34 AM,
I put my PURE in a spray bottle and just spray it on the lace. Works much easier. But what works even better is Autoglym Tar Remover. It actually for cars and what not but it doesn't harm the lace, hair or knots. It pretty much just melts the glue and it rinses off with shampoo and hot water. NEVER use dish soap. Dish soap will dry your hair out big time. It's made to remove grease and fat from dishes. It binds to oils and pulls them away.
11-08-2014, 09:35 AM,
Mirror -slide is simply that some people, once they have reduced the residue/s on the lace to a gel /gooey consistency using Alcohol such as ``Pure``, then slide the lace system across a glass surface, such as a mirror....this simply transfers the mess from the lace to the glass....obviously the glass then has to be cleaned off !
Many people opt to use pages from a magazine, bubble-wrap [as comes in padded envelopes ] or microfiber cloths....these can be discarded after use.