Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short Video: Toplace with recession.
09-30-2014, 03:46 PM,
Short Video: Toplace with recession.
Hey everyone. I haven't posted here in a very long time. I was quite active in the old days, from the beginning, which was around 2003.
I used to wear the curtains style. I've long since abandoned that.

My piece now has quite a bit of recession. I thought I'd take a short vid (with my face mostly covered) The piece is quite worn at this point and it's time for a new one.

I know many may not like the style or say "what's the point?" of having recession like that. I just figured being in my late 40s now (with sides that are thinning) I just felt that it was the more appropriate thing. I do look like a guy who is " losing his hair"

The first video is quite stark with rough outdoor lighting coming in. This little vid was taken after a day of lots of activity and even some hat wearing. You can see where some hairs are sticking slightly to the scalp.
Also shows my blemishes quite well lol

Second video is under kitchen type of florescent lighting nighttime

Anyway, pictures often don't tell the story.

This piece is the Ultra Lace with 50-55 % density with a blonde front that was colored.

http://youtu.be/nVGiglDEsbc

http://youtu.be/NwBt-uN1S3g
10-01-2014, 05:20 PM,
RE: Short Video: Toplace with recession.
steve...it looks totally natural and although you may look like you are losing your hair you NEVER will, lol.

yep a lot of people would say whats the point. the point is simple....your sides have receded and without covering them up (which is just a combover really) you simply would look weird with a stock hairline.
there is just no way that a full across hairline looks natural when ones sides have thinned and they no longer have temple peaks.
some say "i never heard of temple peaks when talking about hair replacement, we're just being over critical"

i disagree. lack of temple peaks with a well placed hairline (meaning3...4 fingers) thats to full across (between a and cc contour, generally a stock) just does not look natural. kind of looks like a hat of hair. most of us can probably tell to some degree when a bald guy is hiding under a cap just by looking at the exposed recession or density of the side hair. so how does it look natural when the "hat" is made of hair?

perhaps you could getaway with a bit less recession but this looks like it fits your sides quite well, in order to pull off much less recession you'd need flaps or creative styling.
i to wear mine recessed albeit not as much as you. my temples are not like yours they are in better condition and the sides are thick but the sides are more recessed than what would be on a person with a full head of hair, so my hairline coincides.

sorry for a long post and even though i state the above matter of factly i do realize it is still just my opinion......so guys dont beat me up on this Sad
10-01-2014, 06:20 PM,
Yup!

I agree with all of that. Temple points and side density are one of the most important aspects to hair replacement.
If your sides are thinning, you have to go with a piece with temple points or go with recession. Otherwise all sorts of problems crop up.

For those of us with thinning sides...it's not all that easy to order a piece with the correct density and contoured front that can match up to our sides.

The inclination is to go heavy to compensate for the hair-loss..
10-03-2014, 05:38 AM,
would you trade for wider temple points if it really made you look a lot younger
compared to what you have
looks good though
10-03-2014, 04:45 PM,
You know.. at this stage, even if I had great temple points..I would still go with the recession. If I were 20-30 years of age, then no. I wouldn't go with the recession
I could have done a template and added temple points but I really didn't feel like going that route.

This may sound strange...but of all the styles I've had.. I like the recession one the best. Everything feels more appropriate, I feel most comfortable in it.
There are too many my age and older who want that straight across hairline or a hairline with little curve with too much hair. I understand the desire to have that but it rarely works for people over 50.
10-06-2014, 02:03 AM,
Hi Steve,

I think it looks amazing! I am about that age as well, and I totally agree that some recession is a good thing. And I do remember you from the old days with the curtains and all. Back then, I wore an 8x10 topper, but my own sides (not just the temple points) went from probably 65% density to 30% density. I have worn full caps since 2007. Once again, great job ! And great to hear from you again.
10-06-2014, 03:53 PM,
These photos from a couple of years ago look great as well. Did you go for a little more recession most recently?

http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?...ht=steve+l
10-07-2014, 06:19 PM,
Hey there Dino!

Those pictures were from the first time I went with some recession about 2 years ago or so.
I made a whole new template with even more recession. I also ordered the Ultra Lace instead of the SFS and my density went from about 60% to 50-55% now.
10-08-2014, 12:13 PM,
Steve,
You are the only person I have heard post about using this Ultra Lace. A few more questions.

How long are you getting out of units made with it? How much time did you get before with the SFS? Do you find the lower density makes the hairline look better?
10-08-2014, 05:25 PM,
I've only had one Ultra Lace piece. I am over a year with it. Not much difference from what I would get with the SFS.

Alicia, from Alicia Hair Systems in Anaheim was very impressed with the Ultra Lace. The base is really transparent. I've been impressed with it as well.
My wife says it's completely natural and no one would be able to tell anything.
There wasn't any worry with the SFS either but I do feel the Ultra Lace is a slight notch above.

With regards to density. You pretty much have to have a light density with the Ultra Lace. I think the hairline is a bit better.. maybe due to the light density combined with the lace being so extremely transparent.