Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Template Critique and a Few Questions?
09-03-2014, 12:52 AM,
Template Critique and a Few Questions?
Hi folks. I've been poking around the boards for a year or so, gathering information and mulling over when to finally take the plunge. As part of a larger self-improvement plan, I've decided I'm going to drop concealers once and for all and go the 'wearing' route. I'm new to the whole thing, but after years of the concealer game, and annoying, creative styling, I'm confident that I can eventually get some impressive results, even if I'm trading one group of struggles for another (still worth it IMO).

I've drawn up where I *think* the template should go. I've been through many threads on the subject (the most helpful of which have been AmericanJambo's threads with input from Hersute and Paul – many thanks to these folks), and so this is what I'm thinking, [attached]. These photos are my hair just after showering and towel-drying, with no products/concealers.

I should also ask -

I want the hairline/temple to be as far down as is reasonable. I'm 25, so I think I can pull it off. Before the balding process began around four years ago, I wore my hair longer, so I'm not quite sure where the temples were. Am I able to get away with more than what I've drawn? Less?

As you can see, my hair is naturally a bit 'poofy' and dry unless I spend decent effort styling it. I definitely don't want the piece to be that way, but I take it I would need a body-wave, right? Pin-straight would look pretty odd on my head.

Density – My sides start off low-density and gradually become pretty thick as it works up to the top of my head (until it hits my dastardly horse-shoe, of course...), but I'm thinking the piece would be 60%? Even if that's a bit too thick, I understand that these pieces will shed in due time. And if I'm adding any kind of temples, I understand that I should make that area 10% lighter, no?

Finally – The base. As I'm a noob, I've read that the TL250 is a more forgiving base for someone new to the game, because the poly/french are a bit more durable. Am I off the mark here? I do exercise somewhat regularly, but I'm not a terribly sweaty person, so hopefully that's not a concern.

Again, many thanks.

Attached Files Image(s)

09-04-2014, 09:22 AM,
RE: Template Critique and a Few Questions?
Hi ByTheFollicles, The photos are a little unclear so it`s hard to see your density and how thin your hair is .... at least you`re not falling into the trap of using concealers way beyond the time they are of practical use....they really only buy a little time and the user has to move on to another ` fix`....
I wouldn`t come down onto your forehead beyond the natural hairline, or it will look off...... the scalp-skin doesn`t ` move` like forehead skin does so if you frown /crease your forehead, you`ll be able to see that ` line` .......you`re young so you can get away with replacing your ` lost` temples...however, it doesn`t look to me like you`ve lost a lot there ...in your second photo, you have a nice amount of [thin] hair out ` onto` the forehead ....above that, your temples don`t look too bad at all..... your proposed template-shape looks ok -- I`m not sure about those two little ` tail` bits there in the temple areas.....if you feel they`re necessary, by all means build them in ....once you have your template made, we can have a look at how it looks..... a poly perimeter on a French lace base is fine..pretty easy to work with. Body -wave is the ` lightest` curl ..just one step up from ` straight` ...I think just ordering 3 or 4 inches of hair-length and have it body-waved means you`ll keep more of the ` wave` --- it won`t be mostly cut out at the cut-in --- I see no point in getting the standard 6-inchs of hair from the factory for any toppers......at least half of that gets cut out and ends up on the salon floor .....making more ` work` for the stylist and costing more money usually ! A medium density 60- 65% should be a reasonable match with your own hair.
09-04-2014, 12:16 PM,
Ah, sorry about the unclear photos. When I take a first stab with the actual template I'll use a better camera and respond again.

I understand about the hairline, and I agree. I do want to replace the temple loss (as minimal as it may be, I want it to look like I've lost nothing at all, you know?), so as you suggest I may try the 'tail' bits, and if it doesn't work out, I'll adjust course.

Anyway, thanks for your input Paul, I'm a bit nervous about doing this, but this place has been a great resource. Cheers.
09-07-2014, 01:45 PM,
So here's the first stab at the template - just as a precaution... you're able to stretch these things tight to your head by a millimeter or so, right? I think I've covered the areas of hairloss... but hey, I'll take whatever extra I can as insurance!

Any feedback (too big/small/wrong shape) much appreciated.

Anyway, in the last picture you can see the remains of what was once a cowlick on the back of my head, just at the end of the template. Is there any way I should approach this? Also, how would I indicate a cowlick/venting (there's a tendency for my hair to go forward and slightly left) on the template? Sorry, I can't seem to find any visual examples on the boards via search...

One final question for now, but I don't need to indicate that the hairline is graduated right? And do I need to draw which side is the front?

Thanks again.

Attached Files Image(s)

09-07-2014, 09:21 PM,
Ok ...Two things which you need to be aware of.......these photos are clearer so I can be a bit more precise. Your hair is relatively thin all over.....leaving it grow out a little bit will help with the blend-in of system hair onto your own...a matching - density is going to be important in your case.....if they make it too dense, it`ll be very obvious and almost impossible to make it look ` right`...let John have the first and second photo there as they give a really good impression of your situation [ density and hair-direction]....the person making your system will have a much better idea of what you need from the photos......I`d advise against getting poly in your case.....being as you`re going to have a relatively light density, there`s a very high possibility of Poly being visible....hair is injected into Poly and tied-in by hand on lace..there can be ` conflicting` hair-direction issues in that case and with such a light density, that could be ` visible` [normally it`s not too much of an issue] ----- go for all-lace....yes there is a level of ` stretch` in lace, however, some people report getting headaches if a system is stretched on ` tightly` for prolonged periods, so just be aware of that.
In relation to your ` swirl` at your crown ...just mark direction-arrows on the template with indelible marker.....also write the words ` Front` and `Back` on the template [ however, having marked your ` swirl` it`ll be pretty obvious anyway, which is the back, but best play safe and write the words!]
Overall it looks pretty accurate.... the second thing which I wanted to comment-on, is in your second photo...you must allow for hair to fall forward onto the forehead area [as your own hair appears to be doing] ....is the edge of the template ` down` a little bit in front of your natural hairline ? It`s just possibly the impression the photo is giving me, but just keep an eye on that...you don`t want to be ` forward` of your natural hairline...... all systems are made with graduated front hairline- density by default ,so don`t worry about that..... take a photo similar to your first photo but with the template removed so they can see your hair-direction and swirl area. You could try a Swiss lace system as this is probably the most ` invisible` for a relatively light-density as you`ll be wearing..... a good idea would be to order one in French lace and one in Swiss and you can then ` compare` them over time ..it`s always advisable to have a ` spare` or back-up system to hand in case of some unforeseen ` emergency` or disaster such as the dog getting hold of your system after you debonded it and hopped into the shower, leaving the system sitting on the living room coffee table !! ;-)
Enclose a good -sized sample of your hair for colour-matching .... remember ---hair at the back of the head is usually darker than the front so try to get a ` mix` ..... you may have to leave your hair grow out a bit in order to get that sample...you have it buzzed in tight at the moment......try to get abut a pencil-diameter amount, about at least half an inch length.......hold it together with a tight elastic band and enclose it with the template. Hope that helps !
09-08-2014, 06:59 AM,
Thanks again for a very informative post!

My hair is actually cropped so close because I took two samples yesterday morning and the 'holes' they left were pretty striking... so I rushed to the barber and when she asked why there were hair chunks missing... "uh, drunken bet last night. I don't remember!" Smile

I like the idea of trying two kinds of bases, so that's likely the direction I'll go (for science of course, I'll be sure to report back). Anyway, as for the front of the template going too far, my hair is cut very short so it's tough to tell, but I lined in up to the base of my current hairline actually. I'll take another look though, because I think I accidentally cut a sharp point right at the front that goes too far forward.

As for growing the hair out to match the piece, the only concern I have is with regards to regular hair cuts. If it were shorter, I could swing it by using clippers on the sides, but with slightly longer hair, I take it most barbers won't trim your hair if you've got a system? Will I have to go to an expensive stylist every time for maintenance, as opposed to just getting it cut-in? I guess I could learn to cut my own hair.

I've heard making a copy of the template is also useful for when it comes time to shave down the top hair. Would you recommend?

Thanks again, you've been a massive help...
09-08-2014, 08:12 AM,
You`re welcome..glad you`ve got some tips / ideas ......just to say that I totally understand how daunting this whole thing is / can be for you, and everyone else considering making the transition.....
all kinds of questions /scenarios go through the mind..it`s simply that this whole wearing thing is so new and ` alien` .....
You don`t have to leave your hair grow out very much..just a few millimeters ..it will make it look a little thicker...... I`m sure your regular barber who you mentioned would still happily do your hair for you..... just tell her you`re wearing ..... if you order your system with short-ish hair [rather than the standard 6-inches ] it will make for a faster /easier cut-in...if you think your regular stylist would not want to cut-in your system, and you can`t find one locally who`s willing to do it, you could have the system/s shipped to Debbie at Splitends hair replacement, direct from the factory ..many guys get a ` remote` cut -in done by her ..she can do the ` heavy` work and any subsequent tweaking that may need to be done can either be done by yourself, or any stylist will usually be happy to do a little snipping here and there for you, once the ` main` work is done ...... her site is http://www.splitendshairreplacement.com ...... just click on the ``services` link....she`s very reasonably-priced as well as having much experience with systems. Send her photos of your situation so she knows what you need / how to style it.......just a suggestion.
By all means you can make a replica of your template ...it can help with marking the ` line` around the perimeter on your scalp inside which you`ll be shaving your thin hair off......
Finally, as you`ll be having a relatively light-density system, I`d specify ``No name-tag`` on your system/s ---they sew a rectangular ` tag` with your name /order number on the back perimeter....it used to ` irritate` me as I could feel it against my scalp...... I`d be just wary that it might possibly be visible in your case, so best not to have it !
If you have any further question/s..... post away and I`ll do my best to give you an accurate answer !
09-10-2014, 01:24 PM,
It is a bit harrowing, you're right, but I'm confident I can get a decent result with some perseverance. I want to thank you again for the aid, it's put me at ease somewhat.

I sent my template out today! So in the coming weeks, I'm sure I'll be back to poke and prod about glues and such. And to post results, of course.

Cheers!