Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner here, need help on attachments
07-06-2014, 05:55 PM,
Beginner here, need help on attachments
My first system should be arriving in a week. It's all French lace. I need to learn about what I should do for attachment. I know theirs different types of tapes, glues, and combinations of both. My highest priority is to have as undetectable a system possible. I don't know if I should use all glue, all tape, just glue at the front, etc. I also don't want to reattach too often, but not go too long without a clean. I was thinking every 7 days. Could anyone recommend what I should try doing, what products to look into?
07-06-2014, 09:10 PM,
RE: Beginner here, need help on attachments
What type of system is it ? All -lace or all-poly?
07-07-2014, 06:59 AM,
@Paul: All-lace.
07-07-2014, 09:51 AM,
Oh yeah --sorry ...just re-read your thread again..you said it`s all French lace.
I think starting out, tape is probably easier to work with ...you can apply it around the perimeter and can see, close-up, where you are putting it.... with glue, you have to apply that to the scalp only, at least 2 -3 coats, allowing a minimum of 15 minutes usually, between coats [this is time-consuming obviously] ... depending on whether you intend wearing an ` exposed` front hairline or not, you can use tape or glue there..... many guys prefer glue there because with the curved shape of the perimeter, it`s not always easy to get tape strips right up to the edge accurately... even those contour tapes [boomerang shaped tape strips] may not always fit the bill, depending on the shape of your front. Having the system taped -up makes for ease of positioning , which is always tricky for newbies...it can be really annoying / frustrating trying to position it on without it getting stuck to glued areas .... try Walker No -Shine tape [ half -inch width] and I`m also using `Ultrahold` tape [half-inch width] .... it gives a good strong hold, but is /can be more shine off it so on thinner areas of hair, under certain lighting you can see a shine through the hair....... the White [water-based] glues all dry clear and there`s generally no issue with ` shine` ....... you might want to tape up the sides and back and use glue on the front...... I think it`s wise to stay with a weekly de/ re-attach and cleaning of your scalp....the downside of glue for me is the cleaning off of the residues from the scalp ..just ` fiddly` and time-consuming. Make sure you have plenty of lace-release to hand and also a glue ` melter` and a citrus -based solvent such as C-22 or ` De solvit` .... they`re things you`ll always need to hand. Many guys like the `ORWG` [Oil-resistant white glue] seems to give a really strong hold and withstands scalp oils and perspiration [ I haven`t used it myself].....the trick with all glues is to apply thinly and evenly, allow time for each coat to go literally dry and especially the final one, before pressing your lace down into / onto it....don`t exercise for 24 hours afterwards as the glue is still ` curing` ...sweat will interfere with it.
It`s pretty easy to apply glue/s around the front once you have the thing sitting /positioned on in the correct place..just mark around the edge with a few ` dots` from an eyebrow pencil or press the teeth of a comb into the skin .... this will leave a mark [which disappears after a while] ..just fold the front back out of your way and apply the glue just ` inside` of the marked area......you can hold the front of the system back out of the way while you work, by clipping the hair onto the hair behind it with a clothes-peg ! There are tutorial videos on Youtube on how to tape-up a lace system..just type in ` taping a lace hair system` and you`ll find what you want .... hope thats of help !
07-07-2014, 10:21 AM,
So with glue on the front, and tape on the back and sides, what about the center and rest of the scalp? Will I have to glue everywhere the tape isn't applied so the system doesn't lift? Also I do intend on doing the exposed hairline. I'm going to a hair replacement person who's known on this forum(Didi) for the cut in and she says she's gonna show me how to do this. She wants me to buy the supplies from her too lol. But whatever, I guess I can buy other stuff later.
07-07-2014, 07:13 PM,
The beauty of lace is it allows your scalp to breath and sweat to evaporate off...also allows heat out ..... lace won`t lift.... you could run a strip of tape front-to-back if you wish / are concerned ....when bonding the perimeter, you`d always ` pull` the lace slightly to put ` tension` on it, therefore the center area will not be ` loose` ....... I`d strongly advise you to get supplies.... I don`t know which supplies she`s offering ...possibly shampoo / conditioners .....you`ll always need to be in a position to do your own touch-up`s ..... if she`s selling adhesives /melters etc. that`s fine but she possibly has a limited range..... you need to be able to deal with issues as they can /do arise, at home. Good luck with the cut-in.!