Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coverage for scars
06-22-2014, 10:31 PM,
Coverage for scars
Greetings to all,

Registered to this forum to get some help of you guys.
I had 2 skin defect treatments which left some scars on my scalp. They didn't heal very nice and I'm bothered by the scars because they are so obvious. Because I'm balding, I have been buzzing my head for a couple of years now, so just leaving the hair longer to cover the scars is not an option.
So after searching for ways to cover them up I ended here.

I was wondering if I can use a hair piece to cut out the shape of the scars and camouflage them, ie. a mini hair system. But I don't know if it's a viable option. The scars are oval shaped and are about 2 cm², so the shape is quite easy to cut out. But I buzz my hair and keep it at about 0.5cm. Is it possible to cut the piece that short and still being able to camouflage the scars well/naturally? Or is this idea not viable?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
06-26-2014, 08:35 AM,
RE: Coverage for scars
Hello Brincks.... can you post some photos of the area ? I`m not able to visualize what you mean / area needing coverage ..thanks.
06-27-2014, 12:36 AM,
Here is one scar, there is another one but it's more to the back so difficult to take a picture of. But it's almost same size and shape. My hair is more than twice as long as it is in this picture.

Attached Files Image(s)

06-27-2014, 04:16 AM,
Hi again ..thanks for the photos .. I have a much better idea now -- I assumed the scars were on the crown and because you are now thinning on top, they were becoming more obvious. Are you now considering wearing a topper ? If so, you`d definitely need to leave your hair grow out before wearing ... buzzing a system very short is usually not easy to get away with...you cut the curl / wave out and knot-visibility or lace grid-pattern can become obvious...... it looks like a field of stubble. If you`re going to wear a topper, obviously that wouldn`t cover your scars due to their location and there`s no point in going Fullcap if your side/ back hair is still strong / good. I reckon you could easily trim out two small ` bits` to cover the scars...... however, you may get fraying of the lace once cut, but it`s something we all get with an all-lace system ----applying knot -sealer helps ` seal` the edge and prevents any frayed bits from ` running` in along the rest of the lace. You`d need to use a strong glue too... this shouldn`t have any ill-effect on the scar tissue, as long as you`d be sensible and debond regularly..... you could use tape too , but with the size/ shape of that area, it would be ` fiddly` to cut out..... a few layers of white [water-based ] glue would probably be best.
I have an old system here in the drawer [well, a few actually ! ] ---- if you like, I`ll pop it in the post to you with some tape/s and you can do a bit of `experimenting` .... the density in some areas of it has thinned to what I think would match your hair [ if you let it grow a bit ] ...haven`t worn it in months ...it`s been shampooed and just stored in case of some ` emergency` --am waiting on delivery of some new systems ---- it`s no trouble /won`t be costly at all if you`d like to have it .... would help you with your decision/s overall ..... I appreciate the colour may not be spot-on, but it should help you evaluate if this is a path you want to take.
If you finally decide to wear a topper, you`ll probably go for a custom-made one.... you might ` get away` with a stock from which you could cut your small bits for the scar areas..depends on the colour of your hair ..... I can`t tell what colour it is as it`s short....
just let me know if you`d like me to post that and I`ll pop my e-mail on here for you. Kindest regards .
06-27-2014, 09:13 AM,
Hi Paul

That would be awesome! I was thinking of covering the scars with a piece cut out of the hair system, not by wearing. But I wouldn't like to pay a couple of hundreds of dollars for a piece to find out it doesn't work at all..
That's why I wanted to hear your guys' opinions before ordering.
But if you are willing to sell me your old system to experiment with, that would be even better, I would really appreciate that!
06-27-2014, 05:07 PM,
I don`t want any payment ... it`s an old system which would be discarded eventually .... I just keep them for a while until I get new ones.
06-29-2014, 06:51 AM,
Brincks,
That's awfully nice of Paul--and very typical of him. With your permission I'll give him your email address so you two can get this accomplished. Thanks,
John
06-29-2014, 09:55 PM,
Hi john,

Paul has already given me his email address through this topic; but removed it afterwards.
And I absolutely agree with you, he has been very generous.
07-02-2014, 11:18 AM,
IMHO I would consider using a .03mm thin skin for those small areas. TS is thinner and has no grid pattern making it less detectable than lace.
07-02-2014, 06:40 PM,
That`s an option too ..... another advantage would be skin wouldn`t fray at the edges like lace can /does ... I`ve never cut a skin system .. I assume it`s same as cutting lace ... i.e. a hobby knife will do the job.