Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darn Rude Angry Crazy Stylists
06-09-2014, 10:11 AM,
Darn Rude Angry Crazy Stylists
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to comment on my experiences so far. I'm located in San Antonio.

Everyone has been great here and very helpful. Bought a stock system and it matches my hair color perfectly.

Decided to go to a place on the North Side here, pricier, but specializes in systems. I came in for my appointment, sat down in a private room, and she just kinda looks at me and asks if I needed a consultation or what.

Apparently they only cut in their $1000+ systems she sells, and if I wanted a cut in for a non-in house unit, I'd have to attach it to my head before I come in. Fair enough.

Well, after going on about my noob-ness to her for a while, she reluctantly started helping me. She mentioned that I needed the lace cut down but she can't do it, but she'd help me attach and do a cut-in. She was pretty pissy that it wasn't A) Her System, B) Lace wasn't cut, and C) it didn't have a poly-perimeter. She was nice enough to make a template for me though, which I'll be sending to John for my next system.

She refers me to a guy not far from me who runs a "hair club" of sorts. I head over there the next day and boy, talk about night and day. The Nice place was modern, chic, played electronic dance music, lots of young attractive people, multiple receptionists, smelled amazing. This other place, "Apollo" was like a doctors office from 1985 (I think, I wasn't born yet lol).

I came in to a small room with 2 chairs, and rang a bell. I waited for a good 45 minutes before the guy, "Louis" came out. He gave me the whole 9 yards about not having an appointment, doing it completely wrong, it's going to "look like shit" on my head, and I look like I'm 40 already. Ruuddee, I'm 25, and definitely look younger or at least my age.

He says he'll cut my lace, but I have to come back in an hour. So I head over to Starbucks and chill out, and then go back. I then mentioned to him that I had a template to cut around and he kinda freaks out saying it's going to take him soooo much longer and the perimeter is all wrong and Debbie did it wrong, saying it's way too big... even though I saw what she did and looked okay to me, not a whole lot of shaving required. So he cuts the lace in for me, based on the template. Seems fine.

During this time he went on and on about China and how people like John are stealing from his pockets and cheating customers out of a worthwhile experience. He was trying to sell me, I'm not stupid though.

I'm getting my cut in on Wednesday, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

The "Nice" Place charges $995 for systems and $125 for cut-ins
The "1985" Place charges between $800 and $1000 for systems and $85 for cut-ins. He charged me $10 for my lace cut.

That's my rant... rude people charging way too much for something we can basically do for a fraction of the cost.

PS: HD's shipping is SOOOO slow.

Thanks!
06-09-2014, 11:48 AM,
RE: Darn Rude Angry Crazy Stylists
sounds like you had the pleasure of being helped by two asses!
the first one figures they have you over a barrel by requiring you to attach yourself because she wants you to think its an elaborate process that can only be professionally done. a poly perimeter also makes her job easier, just put tape on the poly and stick it on your head.

apollo the 2nd place with louis is even worse. he attempts make you feel like you will look like an old fool with a rug on. of course everything he didnt do was done wrong, he has to make you feel vulnerable so that you will be at his mercy.

"cutting a piece to a template is going to so much longer"!!!??? WTF???!!! what other way is there to do a template on a stock???
when you go back for your cut in, that is after it is done you should act genuinely concerned about what he had mentioned concerning how he is "being robbed by china"
perhaps something along the lines of "i gave quite a bit of thought about what you said concerning china. its bad enough that we have lost so much of our industry to them. maybe i should consider purchasing from you in the future. where exactly are your hair pieces made? i would love to visit the place where the ventilation is done. my job has me travel quite a bit so i'm sure i would be within the vicinity at one point or another."
you get the idea.
the point being both places sell systems that they charge WAY to much for are made in china! just about every single company, club etc gets their product from china and super up charge!
he would definitely be lost for words because unless you will be in china sometime in the near future you will not be able to go to their factory. and if by the off chance they were made here it is in a sweatshop with asian workers being paid very little and you're still getting ripped off.

personally i would be nervous having my cut in there. he has already said "its completely wrong, it's going to "look like shit" on my head, and I look like I'm 40 already. "

i'd be very concerned that he will make sure it looks like shit so that you would have to buy a piece from him
06-09-2014, 11:53 AM,
Haha that's why "Louis" isn't going to be cutting me in. He just cut my lace for me from the template Debbie made at the other place. Louis was a dick, but he cut my lace, saving me time and effort so whatever. Probably kept me from ruining my unit.

Debbie will be cutting me in and helping me attach with a combination of her tape and mine, she was nice after I gave her the "oh, ya know, I'll buy a custom unit in the future, just wanted to see how it works out first..." deal.

Honestly, the hairline is all I'm worried about. I want to go for this look -

Thoughts?

Attached Files Image(s)

06-09-2014, 12:23 PM,
its definitely possible. a lot of it depends on your side hair, temples etc. that is a really youthful head of hair with a tiny forehead and very strong, thick temple points
06-09-2014, 07:35 PM,
Hello again travbjork, Well-written post .... described your experience/s very well.... interesting, but not surprising in the least..... I guess, out of the negative/s, you at least had some positive in that you got a template made and got the system/ base trimmed to fit..... I strongly advise you, and all new / potential wearers, to experiment at home, and get used to doing these things yourself.... it`s not rocket -science, but these ` stylists` like to make it sound as if it is and you`re ` under compliment` to them for ``obliging``you. I can understand that most of these places/people want to make big bucks and resent guys buying online and then having the `cheek` to come ask them to cut-in a system.....instead of being nice, and charging a reasonable price which might actually encourage a person to at least ` try out` one of their systems.....they know you`re ` stuck` and nervous and they love to rub it in!
Once you have the cut-in, you should then do some footwork and locate a regular salon / stylist in your area who will do a cut-in for you or have your next system/s sent to Debbie at splitendshairreplacement, for a remote cut in.....ideally , a system should be on your head and a person sitting in a chair in front of a stylist, but Debbie can do the ` heavy` work and a system can be easily ` tweaked` by the wearer or a local barber / stylist..... I just took a system to a local stylist, in a bag, so she was able to see what she would be dealing with if she decided to cut it for me ....she was happy to oblige. I pay 40€ for a Fullcap cut-in.
I had pointed out in your other thread, that you [ or anyone] having the system ` prepped` and ` ready-to-go` on the day, goes a long way, especially with a stylist who is not used to systems----another reason why I suggested taking a tube of ` Got2bglued` with you----it can easily / quickly be applied in the salon, and the system positioned-on.....also, stock systems come with the standard 6-inch hair length [and medium density] so there is ` work` in cutting that down .... I only ever order 4 inch length and even at that, a lot of it ends up on the floor!
Stocks are all ` Freestyle` ventilation,[hair is tied-in in a `looser,` non- `set` manner] so you can ` play` with various styles...... in relation to your attached photo...... yes that style is possible, but you`d most likely need to use styling-products to ` hold` it .... you can have that style ` built-in` to a custom-made system by sending photos of it..they`ll tie-in the hair in that more ` set` style.....be aware that the hairline is more ` exposed` with that style..... there can be tape-shine issues and also the perimeter there can sometimes get a visible ` line there due to atmospheric dust lodging on /at the underlying adhesive material...... it may not be an issue at all for you, but it can sometimes happen.
I hope she does a decent job for you when you go...don`t leave her ` dictate` to you.....you`ll be the one wearing / walking around with it on your head..not her !!