Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certain Hairstyles...
05-12-2014, 04:18 PM,
Certain Hairstyles...
I just ordered my first piece and was thinking about the styles I wanted to do. It seems that wearers are more comfortable and at more ease with not exposing their hairline and letting your style cover it at the front. But I'm sure some like styles were the hair is combed back and/or the hairline is exposed. Below are some that I'm considering. Are these even a possibility because I've read threads about glue and lace being detectable in the front hairline area. I thought the simple remedy would be to cut the excess lace up to the hairline and keeping the front clean of any glue every few days but I haven't even starting wearing yet so idk.

http://www.landinails.com/wp-content/upl...rs65ir.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5T-IlP6GJFM/UF...odel-2.jpg
05-12-2014, 05:51 PM,
RE: Certain Hairstyles...
There have been people on these boards who have sported styles like these, but you have to have perfect technique in applying the piece and then you have to look after it and check it frequently. The slightest little bit of lace lift or dirt on the hairline can be a potential giveaway, because you have absolutely no cover and no margin for error.

I would say you are making your life unnecessarily stressful and difficult by starting with a style like this, and there are already stresses enough in starting to wear a piece. I have gelled my hair back like this a few times for fun when going out for a smart evening, but it wouldn't do it every day.
05-12-2014, 06:45 PM,
I probably wouldn't do this everyday, but I would do it regularly a few time a week at most. Could you be more specific about perfect technique when applying the lace? And how frequent do you mean to checking it? I would imagine lace lift would come down to finding the right glue, and applying it evenly over the entirety of the hairline not leaving any area unglued, then rebonding at the right time . Dirt I imagine could be remedied by letting glue dry properly, cutting excess lace below the hairline, cleaning any excess glue below the lace. I don't wear yet but I would think all this would be standard upkeep. I mean even if you cover the hairline, what if a girls hand or the wind blows it to the side or backwards. Wouldn't you need the front to not lift and be clean?
05-12-2014, 07:43 PM,
What is Ted Danson wearing? He used to have a big bald spot on top of his head and was very thin at the hairline. In the CSI series he has a very nice hairline that looks like the ones you show, can't think you can get that from a transplant?
05-12-2014, 08:06 PM,
@Oldwearer: Even if I knew who that was and what your talking about I don't see how that would help me.
05-12-2014, 10:05 PM,
NHNF,

You asked if these styles are possible, and I think they are. My reference to Ted Danson (Google him if you don't know who he is) is that I think he is wearing exactly this, and I think he is pulling it off fabulously.

I don't expose my hairline so I am not personally concerned with it but I would love to know how he does it and how it can help others.
05-12-2014, 11:33 PM,
Perfect technique means getting the glue coverage to exactly match the area of the piece, and getting the piece to sit on that area flat, without any wrinkles. All-lace pieces are floppy and a bit stretchy, and you have a limited time to get the base into exactly the right spot before it becomes stuck, so that is easier said than done. It's not too hard to get it looking pretty decent, but to get it absolutely perfect requires a bit of luck. I only get a perfect hairline about every third application. However, that works fine because my hair is brushed sideways from a soft parting, so only about an inch of hairline is fully exposed, and the rest is slightly shaded. Good enough for a windy day or a roving hand.

Getting a lace hairpiece to look good is a micro task. It's misdirection, like a magician's trick. You've got mesh glued to your head with hairs knotted to it, but nobody notices them because they don't know where to look or what to look for. Small things, like the way a particular lock of hair lies, are important to achieving a natural look. You would be amazed when you start wearing how much attention you will pay to those small things. One of the factors in getting the mesh to disappear is to create little shadows from the hair above which confuse the eye. Even if by chance a strand of mesh is visible, there are too many other hairs and shadows of hairs for the brain to register it. Obviously if you scrape all your hair back, you have minimised the possibility of any misdirection - now the punters are looking straight at your fake hollow thumb with the silk scarf in it.

If I had a slicked-back style under the office fluorescent lighting, I would be checking it 3 or 4 times a day. At night time under lower lighting (which is the condition in which I would usually use this style) I would be more relaxed.

Not telling you not to go for this style if it is dear to your heart, but just be aware that it is harder to get right. It would make a big difference if you have a significant other who will help you put the piece on.
05-13-2014, 12:08 PM,
Yes it can be done. Some guys do it and do it well but it is much more difficult to pull off. Check out Rubins attachment video on this site. He is a master at it !! Good Luck !