Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knot sealer and scalp protector questions
11-01-2013, 05:35 AM,
Knot sealer and scalp protector questions
Well actually two questions. Do these products really have any benefit and are they worth the money? Thanks guys!
11-01-2013, 09:14 PM,
RE: Knot sealer and scalp protector questions
Hi,
I have been using scalp protector and find it worthwhile.I get less skin irritation,and tapes stick to it really well.

I can't comment on knot sealer as i have not used it on a lace system,i replace my systems regular before shedding becomes a problem.I am also concerned that if you lock the knots in position with knot sealer,the hairs will not move around and style as easily(i have free style units) just my opinion.

Regards Topcat
11-02-2013, 06:45 AM,
Which scalp protector do you use?
11-04-2013, 10:03 AM,
My 2 cents:

I am wearing a SFS swiss lace front and french lace back. Good or bad, i will change my system every 4 months.

Since you are active, i don't think you need to use Scalp Protector.. I was using Scalp protector early in the days, but i switched to Pro-touch no sweat perspiration control because of my active lifestyle. It helps during the first two days after bonding esp. during the summer months, it helps with the bond as well since i go to the gym 4x a week. I re/debond after 5-6 days of wearing it, will not pass a week for hygiene purposes. I will make sure that i have a day off of not wearing it esp on sun. I let my scalp rest, go to the gym, wearing a hat, doing an intense cardio, weight training and sweat like there is no tomorrow. I will come home, take a long bath, shampoo with Shiseido Extra Gentle Shampoo for my own hair only, dry my hair and moisturize the scalp with Shiseido Men Moisturizing Emulsion (not for those who have sensitive scalp) when i am not wearing the system. They are expensive but anything to reduce the stress and pamper my scalp and my hair, i will pay any price. Remember, your natural hair is as important as your system.

For shampooing the system and conditioned, I use L'Oreal Paris EverPure Moisture Shampoo and conditioner non-fade, sulfate free, they are awesome. I love the smell of it and all.

For knot sealer, i used Debbie's Knot Sealer, hers is the best in my opinion.

For Glue, ORWG hands down for me. Nothing can beat this. I bought them in a bulk and call it a day. Easy to clean is the key.

For Tapes, there are many recommendations ,but my personal fav is Extenda Bond. You can buy them in a roll, but if you are lazy like me to cut the tapes and all, buy the mini-tabs version. The mini tape curves, so it is easier to attached, and i do not need a scissor to adjust the tape.

Also, i don't use any products other than pure-glue to remove the glue out. I know i cannot take out 100% of the Glue, but at least i will try to remove about 95% but i usually will bring my piece to my salon once a month for maintenance, they did a good job in cleaning the base, removing all the glue and deep conditioning my piece. I paid $35 once a month for a hair cut and cleaning the base.

For styling @ work or weekend other than clubbing - Paul Mitchell WaxWorks..I love it so much that i want to contact Paul Mitchell and say thanks. The next day you dont even have to apply it again (ok maybe just a little), just spritz with water and restyle. You can use a hair-dryer, but set it to cool only and place the hair-dryer away from your hair and blow, no hot or warm setting as it will dry your hair.. Style as needed. I normally, spray leave in conditioner after i style my Hair.

For Styling - going to a club for a hot and sweaty dancing. I use Mitch - Hardwired. I use a tiny bit and style. It gives maximum hold.

Hope this helps.
11-04-2013, 10:26 AM,
journeyofman,

I don't know how you'll feel about this suggestion because many people are scared of it but...
if you want to remove 100% of glue especially from a lace system, all you have to do is soak the base in a shallow bowl with some Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover.

Yes...its a car product! Well thats what its sold as, but basically its just a bunch of chemicals for breaking down and removing glue.
You soak the base for about 15-20 minutes and all the glue turns to a jelly that you rinse off under a running tap.
You then wash the system as you normally would and you're good to go.

I have been using it on lace systems (and now on a thin skin) for the last 10 years and never found a better product that can beat it.
It causes zero harm to the hair or base.

Lots of people have taken my advice and they too swear by it.
I found my attachments were lasting less and less time because each debond was leaving a small residue of old glue and it was building up over time.
I read that 1% of old glue = 10% less adhesion on the next attachment.

The Autoglym changed all that.
11-04-2013, 10:36 AM,
Hershute, Thanks for the recommendation. Haha, You completely read my mind, i have been reading the forum and i see that a lot of people are recommending Autoglym for glue remover. I am kind of worried to be honest. Car vs Hair, How does it smell? I am wondering whether they sell it in the US. I am gonna try it on my old system and see how it goes. Anything to shorten my debonding time, i will do it.

I once was reading a thread that i should use Dawn cleaning soap, i did it a few times to clean the base. While it cleans the base, but it dried my hair pretty bad.
11-04-2013, 10:51 AM,
They sell autoglym worldwide.
I think Amazon can be a good place to buy it but most auto shops stock it too.
Autoglym have a supplier-locator function on their website.

Dawn is great at cutting through any residue grease or oil, but as you say, it then negatively affects the hair condition.
Someone suggested filling a basin with warm water, then adding a bit of Dawn and swishing the hair around in that as a less harsh method.
Previously I'd been pouring it straight on to the base.

I've recently changed to trying 2 new things.
1) after using Dawn (or here in the UK its called Fairy Liquid !) I pat dry the system and then use a spray leave in conditioner/detangler (Johnsons No More Tangles) and that helped with the hair condition or
2) I ditched the Dawn and started using Tresemme Clarifying Shampoo.
This seems to cut through and remove any grease but is gentler on the hair.

I still use the Johnsons leave-in conditioner every day though.
11-04-2013, 10:59 AM,
Hersute, i am grateful for all the advice you have given. Thanks for even taking the time.
i am going to try autogylm and see how it goes.

About Johnson Leave In conditioner, I read the bottle, i thought it has alcohol in it. Maybe i was wrong? I love Johnsons products. The reason why i am using PP Enhance coz it has no alcohol in it but the smell is questionable.
11-04-2013, 11:32 AM,
There are good & bad alcohols for hair.
The 'short-chain alcohols' like ethanol, SD alcohol, SD alcohol 40, Alcohol denat, Propanol, Propyl alcohol and Isopropyl alcohol can dry the hair.
But then there are 'fatty alcohols' that are good (or at the very least, not-bad) for the hair.
These include Lauryl alcohol, Cetyl alcohol, Myristyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol and Behenyl alcohol.

I remember I checked years ago and I'm pretty sure the alcohol in the NO MORE TANGLES is one of the fatty alcohols.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
AmericanJambo

To answer your original question, I know a couple of people that will swear using a scalp protector has really helped to increase their bond times and a couple of people (including me) that believe its decreased their bond time!
Its not that expensive and a bottle lasts ages, so its something you should try at some stage, especially if you do get an irritated scalp. Although I found using a medicated shampoo once a month worked just as well.
The one I've used is a whiteish bottle with red writing on it (can't remember the name) and Walkers have just brought out a heavy duty one.
You can also buy from any pharmacy 'liquid bandage' by Elastoplast which is a spray on liquid that coats & protects the skin, exactly like a scalp protector does.

As for knot sealer, again not a huge investment and it can prolong the life of a system by slowing down shedding.
As I think someone has already said, its a good idea to comb the hair in the direction you normally wear it before applying because its possible that excessive knot seal can fix the hair is a single direction, although I've never experienced that myself.
11-05-2013, 11:27 AM,
Thanks for all the info guys!!!