Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STRESS! :-{
08-24-2013, 05:14 AM,
STRESS! :-{
Hi. I didnt know choosing a hair system would mean so much stress. I have been trying to decide on skin versus lace for a week before ordering it, and can´t make up my mind!

Has anyone used a TL300(I-LACE) or TL600? I guess they would be a good trade off in terms of durability versus a skin?
08-24-2013, 06:56 AM,
RE: STRESS! :-{
Hi Marcelo, If you can stretch to it, get two systems. ....that way you have a back-up system in the event of some un-foreseen disaster with one [such as sudden profuse shedding which can happen at times, though is usually rare] Why not just go for a lace base [French or Swiss] for breatheability, with a strip of Poly around the sides and back..the poly is hard-wearing and easy to clean so you just have to front hairline area to ` worry` about in terms of clean-up`s .... I think a lot of new-comers to the wearing game find that combination is pretty easy to work with.
Skin systems have their pro`s and Con`s , as with lace.... it can be a bit of a minefield coming to a decision, but whatever you decide, I`d recommend you get two systems.... at least if one develops issues, you can get a replacement order and the 2nd system will keep you going until the new one arrives. Even in the event that a stylist didn`t do such a nice job on one, you can go to another person and have the 2nd one styled immediately.... we all have our preferences, developed over time and from experience -- you have the learning-curve ahead of you so no point stressing out too much at this point ....... I think for a new wearer, a free-style system, lace base with a poly [skin] strip on the sides and back is very easy to work with...you can ` play-around` with your hairstyle that way and the clean-up`s and re-attachments are relatively easy. Regards.
08-24-2013, 08:18 AM,
Thanks Paul, but alas, my reality doesnt allow me buying 2 systems: in Brazil one system (with delivery incl) will cost me 40% of my monthly salary! Can you imagine that? That´s why I´m so stressed and nervous all week long. I can´t make a mistake.

I have read tons of posts in different sites, and visited every possible retailers´site. But there is a general discrepancy in terms and measurements (inches and mm), many sites dont cite the thickness of each skin model...hmmmm...you get the picture.

One day I´m skin, the other day I´m lace. My template arrived on Tuesday at John´s (toplace) and I´m still unable to place an order. Oh my... :-(

PS: attached the way I want to have my hair

Attached Files Image(s)

08-24-2013, 08:43 AM,
God that`s a huge factor all right .... how will you manage as time goes on and you need to replace it ? It`s not possible to give an accurate estimate of how long an individual wearer will get from one system to the next --there are just too many variables in the mix [including weather / temperatures] which all have a bearing on how many weeks/months your system/s are likely to last.
I`ve worn the ` older` style [thicker] skin systems in my topper days.... the ` skin` usually lasted longer than the hair but the lack of breathe-ability for my scalp and hygiene concerns made me change to lace..... I prefer lace now, but as I said in the original post, the ` combination` of skin and lace is good .... I`ve worn them before going ` all-lace` .... you can do a perimeter-bond, and the majority of you scalp can breathe and you can expose your head to water [ as in the shower] and sweat can be rinsed/ diluted off your scalp. The only ` caution` with the combination is that because the hair is ventilated into the skin part differently to hand-tied hair on the lace, sometimes there can be a difference in the way the hair lies, but to be honest, having worn them numerous times, I never ever had an issue with it . The poly helps keep the system in ` shape` when you`re doing your attachment/s .....don`t over-stress this game..it`s not as difficult as you imagine..just have your research done, don`t get a shock when the thing arrives for the first time and pops out of the bag looking like a floor-mop..it`ll look totally different when it settles after a few washings and when it`s cut-in.....I keep this as simple as possible---- infrequent shampooings and using ` PPI Enhance` leave-in conditioner regularly, after spritzing with water first...... my systems last me months.
Best wishes with your ` battle` !
08-24-2013, 09:34 AM,
I would not recommend a skin unit for the first time. I did that and couldnt get the front to the indetectability levels I wanted. Also, the feeling sensation and sound on the scalp is different, more "plastic" than lace. The poly sides and back are no problem though, and are easy to work with.

Lace has a more natural feel, and at the beginning I think it's psychologically easier to wear, as for your first time you want to feel as natural as possible.

I agree with Paul's advise: french with skin strip on sides and back, or full french lace (swiss is more fragile for a novice). I now use all french lace and I do not see any disadvantage to it.

You will have to learn a lot of things at first, you will be stressed.So i recommend to start wearing at the beginning of some holidays if you can, so when you start working you will be more comfortable with all the process.

My first 2 months were difficult, now I can say Im happy and dont worry about hair. And by the way, if you want that much density (dont overdo it!), and comb forward, you have it easier.

PD:I suppose you know that stock units are cheaper
08-24-2013, 09:56 AM,
Very easy style for a beginner ...very forgiving at the front hairline as it`s non-exposed. As Earthling says, French lace is quite robust and if you have a 1/2 inch width of poly on the sides and back, you`ll find it helps when you`re doing your first bonds as it helps keep it in shape....with an all-lace system, it`s easy to stretch it a bit too much and you end up with ripples / un-even edge on some areas when you`re inexperienced....the poly is less inclined to bunch-up on you.
08-24-2013, 10:00 AM,
Earthling, the problem is, there are many skin thicknesses: from 0,03mm to 2mm. I have read tons of opinions on skins, and half praise it, the other despise it. But which ones are they referring to? thin skins? medium skins? bio skins?
I was thinking of buying a TL400 (0.06mm) in hopes of it lasting half a year.
But maybe a TL600 would last as much and be more comfy? Ahhhhhh...
Help, anyone? :-{
08-24-2013, 11:48 AM,
My advise: get a french lace front with a skin strip on sides and back, then. Best of both worlds. The front in lace has no disadvantages that I know of compared to skin. Showing the front with skin, even with the finer ones, its harder in my opinion.

With that much density it should last for 6 months, if you detach with normal care. Mine (less density) lasted 7 months, and its only the second one I got.
By the way I recommend Nearly Natural spray + Pretty slick conditioner combo for when the hair naturally dries a little. It really makes a difference.

Another thing, the life time depends on the hair shedding and drying, not the base..
08-24-2013, 09:48 PM,
id recommend skin,as with lace you may be overly concerned with the trade off between a great natural hairline and the grid pattern lace gives.
we tend to blow every detail up on the forum, in reality you might not care.
a bitt like engineers quibbling over intricate mechanics of one car, when you get in it works.

clean ups very easy, debonds, touch ups,*

my one lady salon has regulars who go for a monthly de bond, she says some people just cant manage it.
or maybe don't want to.

when you first begin to wear youre kinda terrified to touch mess with the hair.

but as the weeks months go on youll quickly learn the ropes,

and once youre in control with a ton of helpful facts in youre head, you've cracked it.

enjoy Anthony Smile
08-25-2013, 10:13 AM,
This company is in Brazil and they sell maintenance products for hair systems.
This may be a cheaper option for you if ordering from outside of Brazil is a problem.
New Visual Hair
http://youtu.be/AE9mvJO1s20

and have you ever seen this?
http://youtu.be/nQO_KlV5ZVE