Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dayglo or "punk" colors
08-18-2013, 08:50 AM,
Dayglo or "punk" colors
Hello to anyone reading this! I have been lurking here for a long while but this is my first time posting.

After 4 or 5 years of using toppik and similar concealers, I'm ready (or at least readying) to make the transition to wearing hair. Like a lot of people here, this decision is partly based on the realization that i have reached a point where i have more concealer on my head than hair, and i am perhaps pushing it a bit.

Unlike a lot of people here, a very big part of my motivation to make the switch is the opportunity to once again experiment with color more. One of the things I miss the most about having a full head of hair is dying it all kinds of wild colors (of course, toppik and dermmatch do not come in 'outrageous cherry' or 'atomic turqoise').

My natural hair color is extremely dark brown, almost black ("off-black"), so in the past when I've colored my hair, it's always necessitated bleaching it blonde first.

I realize that people dye pieces all the time, and that in theory it shouldn't matter what the target color is. However, a lot of these kinds of dyes are semi-permanent and quite runny. After dying my hair green or whatever color as a teenager, I'd usually wake up with a green pillowcase the next day; Staining the lace is a major concern. The only relevant thread in this or any other forum (http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?...anic+panic) expresses a similar concern.

There is a product called L'Oreal Hi-Color HiLights which is intended for use on unbleached dark hair that is available in a few wild colors (magenta, red, copper). This product lifts the dark color to the lighter target color. I understand this product is more professional and colorfast than manic panic or special effects and those kinds of kids' dyes, although I have concerns about lightening a dark colored hairpiece as well, since pieces are already prone to dryness and weakness that would only be exacerbated by lightening.

Having said that, Indian hair is black. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be the one to lighten it?

The general rule with dying pieces seems to be to start with a color lighter than you'll be dying it. I could start with a blonde piece, and bleach my natural hair to match. However, in addition to the risk of staining the lace with the manic panic-type dyes, i'd have dark roots growing in around the piece - not ideal, especially as i keep my hair very short. I'd have to bleach my (real) roots much too frequently and this would be very bad for my natural hair.

It seems like the best option may in fact be to work with a dark piece that matches my real hair, leave a bit of the "roots" dark so that my natural roots don't look weird when my hair grows a bit, and use a product like L'Oreal Hi-Color to lighten and dye both the piece and my real hair. Again, since i assume the Indian hair used for the pieces is naturally black, I'm not sure what reason there is not to do this. If I order a blonde piece, it's really just dark hair that's been lightened by someone else, no?

I'm obviously something of a guinea pig with this, so any thoughts, suggestions or cautions would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the ridiculous length of this post. Thanks and all the best
08-18-2013, 02:36 PM,
RE: Dayglo or "punk" colors
Lots of what you have said is perfectly correct.

The only thing I would suggest is that to colour the lighter hair, you use these coloured hair 'chalks'.
I don't know much about them myself, but they come in every conceivable colour.
They eventually wash out but far less likely to stain the base and are probably kinder to the hair itself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Temporary-Pastel...B00AB0I4N4
08-18-2013, 03:14 PM,
Thanks for the pastels suggestion! I'd never heard of those before, actually, and as you say it seems that it would be much gentler on the hair, and probably more reversible as well. Might be worth a try.
But, I think you may misunderstand my concern about the "semi-permanent" type punk brand dyes staining the lace - it's not so much during the application that i'd worry about the color running more than ordinary dye - it's more while wearing the piece (sleeping, etc).
My feeling is, the more "temporary" the dye, the more it runs, and the more of a problem that could be - the pastels may in fact be worse in this regard.
08-18-2013, 07:07 PM,
I used to use Crazy Colour in the 80s and that never ran or came off on pillows etc.
They weren't permanent colours.
Because its applied to porous bleached hair, the colour gets absorbed, but they did eventually fade after a while.

http://www.crazyhaircolour.com/?Click=20...tAodagsAHw
08-18-2013, 07:19 PM,
Oh cool! Thanks for the tip. I'd never heard of that brand and I think we don't really have it in the USA. We don't have 'Stargazer' or 'Directions' here either to my knowledge. I will probably try to get hold of some of these and experiment at some point.

Now I'm wondering what salons use when people ask for wild colors. I've always gone the DIY route but I'll bet someone makes professional quality dayglow hair dyes. There is a posh, trendy salon down the street that used to advertise this in their window, although i don't think they still do it. Very much doubt they used manic panic on their clients.
08-18-2013, 08:48 PM,
You're bound to have a Sally's Hair & Beauty store somewhere near you.
They have a huge range online too and sell professional colouring products.
Check them out.
08-19-2013, 02:31 AM,
Pick up a stock piece and experiment off head, with several different products to see if they will give the desired results.