Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lace or Skin - first ever system (photo)
08-15-2013, 01:32 AM,
Lace or Skin - first ever system (photo)
Hi. I am totally confused with what kind of system to use: lace or skin?

I want to wear it combed forward (see attached picture), so hairline is not a problem. I live in a place where the summers are hot, humid and long. Durability is a major concern for me since systems cost me (due to currency conversion) almost 3 times as much as you american fellas.

I had almost settled for French Lace (TL250) with tape when I read this great post on skins by Hairenough:
http://www.forum.toplace.com/showthread....8#pid39438

Now I´m again confused. Any help would be appreciated, specially from skin wearers and Hairenough.

Attached Files Image(s)

08-15-2013, 01:57 AM,
RE: Lace or Skin - first ever system
Depends on how you are planning to attach the unit. I have not tried skin as everyone here says that if you use tape and not a full head bond, you sweat a lot and the unit makes a funny sound when you touch it. Yet there are some that use only tape and don't seem to have a problem with heat.

Up till a month ago I wore a TL250 type unit but I did not like the lace front, I never felt that I got a secure attachment and the unit scratched me and I itched as well. I now wear a lace unit with pu all the way around and it is so comfortable and the attachement is super secure. I only use tape and change it every 7 days.

Someday I am going to order a skin unit just to see for myself (as an extra unit) and I also recently asked if John could provide the TL250 with a skin front and he confirmed that the factory could do it. That might be a possible option for you?
08-15-2013, 02:40 AM,
I just ordered a 0.03 mm skin system with all blond hairs in the first inch - rest is medium brown. I´ll let you know how it works out. IF course I´m coloring the 1 inch brown my self, handpainting the hairs closely all the way down to the very beginning of the skin.
08-15-2013, 05:03 AM,
Oldwearer: "TL250 with a skin front. That might be a possible option for you?"

Not really. One of the things that is worrying me is durability of lace. (TL250 with poly all around). Frankly, this system is going to cost me equivalent to 800 US dollars! - due to currency conversion/purchase power,etc So it must last at least 6 months. That is why I´m now thinking of TL400 PSB instead. I had ruled it out due to hot, humid summers, but Hairenough said it is nonsense if you glue it completely to the scalp.
08-15-2013, 05:10 AM,
If you need a system that´ll last forever go with the medium skins, thick skins. But you need to wear bangs which suck bad when its windy outside. Which part of the world are you from? Forget about the 0,03mm skin if you want longevity.

Sebt: If you´r going to make a comparison its pretty critical to mention what kind of skin your wearing. It must be a medium skin unit around 0.1 mm from what you saying. There a 3-4 different kinds.

regards.
08-15-2013, 08:01 PM,
Seb: I think its .1mm. The next gen ranges between .3-.5mm. There is .3-5, 0.1 and thick skin. Guess there could be more variation but just keep in mind the thickness, and that really all that matters regardles of what the different vendors choose to call it.
08-16-2013, 02:01 AM,
Since I´ll not comb my hair backwards, guys, isnt fair to say I dont need lace and a TL400 PSB poly skin base would be much better for me? (much more durable, sturdy and easy to maintain/detach etc)

I am reading all threads and videos I can get hold of, but almost all the time people are praising Lace for the natural hairline...
08-16-2013, 07:34 AM,
I wear a thin skin, with a french lace front. Great hairline with a realistic looking scalp.
08-16-2013, 02:31 PM,
no/minimum shedding/tearing, right Ibetalot?
08-17-2013, 07:46 AM,
No shedding so far, tearing could be an issue if you are rough with you hp. I use a strip of walker no shine tape for the hairline, and attach the skin part of the piece with gtbg.