Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temple Flaps
08-02-2013, 12:19 AM,
Temple Flaps
Hi,

My question

What are you use for attach flaps ?

i tested with 0,3 mm tape, but i not sure if it's really a safe way for flaps.

If you have tips or the best way ?

Thank you
08-02-2013, 02:51 AM,
RE: Temple Flaps
Not too sure what you mean / what your issue is, but you do your bond in the usual /normal way as with any other area of / on your system....just a matter of deciding/finding which material works best for you in terms of tape/s and /or Glue/s ....... there`s nothing ` special` required for a particular area of a system....... are you wearing a topper with flaps or are you wearing 2 temple-partial pieces? If it`s two partials, you`d probably be best to use one of the stronger glues --2 or 3 layers will give the lace [I assume it`s lace] a better ` foundation` to bed-down into. Always ensure each layer has gone practically dry before applying the next layer and it`s VITAL to allow the last layer in particular to do so, before sitting the lace down onto it, otherwise the glue will go through onto the base of the hairs and solidify, and you`ll have a really bad/tough clean-up when you next de-bond. Cheers.
08-02-2013, 03:53 AM,
Thank you Paul for reply,

i just received a SFS topper with long flaps, i have experience with a classic topper.
Usually, i attach my system with Ultra Hold, but for the flaps i'm looking for the best way. (glue or tape ?)
I tested to bond with tape, it work but i can see the lace along the flaps through the hair.
I think Glue is more secure but for the maintenance routine, i already spending lot of time without flaps on my system...
08-02-2013, 04:31 AM,
Hi Joe, thanks for clarifying......you have to be careful when de-bonding flaps, because repeatedly exposing them to ` pressure` could lead to the lace tearing...just use plenty of lace-release and be patient / allow it time to work before lifting the flaps....some wearers of Swiss lace who require flaps, will often specify the flaps be made of the slightly more robust French lace...just be careful /gentle when de-bonding and you should be fine....... I think glue would be best to use on that area rather than tape for the reason you`ve stated -- visibility. It can be tricky to get tape to ` sit` right at the very edge of the lace, and on such a very visible part of the system, yes, it would be likely you`d have a ` visibility` issue.... with glue, you`re far less likely to have that worry.... many wearers of lace, particularly at the front hairline, may use tape for the majority of the bond, but on that very front edge, they`ll use glue, because it will hold the very edge of the lace down invisibly, and is easier to paint-on for the curve, rather than using bits of straight-edged tapes [even contour shapes don`t always fit right to the very edge snugly]..... if you apply your glue to the skin so that it goes ` beyond` the edge of your lace by maybe 2 millimetres, you can carefully go around, once your system is bonded on, with a cotton pad moistened with alcohol, and carefully wipe any excess from your skin, taking care not to squeeze the pad so that alcohol gets onto the edge of the lace, or it will loosen your new bond...even a cotton-bud [ Q-tip] used for cleaning the ears can be useful for this.....the edge of the lace will disappear into the glue... I use a glass dropper to apply my lace-release ..you can get them in any pharmacy-- the things used to place drops into the eye or ear....glass tube with a rubber bulb on one end..simply suction up some liquid and then gently squeeze a little onto the lace where it`s held by tape/glue..this is more accurate and less wasteful than the ` scatter-gun` approach of spraying it on from the atomiser nozzle that the bottle come fitted -with...also helps keep the [drying] alcohol off most of the hair...kind regards.
08-02-2013, 08:12 AM,
Thanks Paul for the tips, specially for the glass dropper, i'm never heard that before. I plan to test it.

In fact my anxiety is to spent even more time.
Usually i use Ultra hold on my scalp at the front and back for invisibility of the lace, i achieve a good holding 3/4 weeks with some adjustments. But when i must release completely my unit, i spend hours for routine maintenance...

I think, i will try a mixed attachement with glue and tape for reduce time maintenance. But i going to use glue for the flaps.

Paul, do you use a flaps on your system ? And what is your attachement method for system and flaps ?
08-02-2013, 08:47 AM,
I wear fullcaps so flaps are part of it, obviously. I think you`re leaving the system on for too long and this is giving you a bigger /messier clean-up.... all glues and tapes begin to become unstable after a certain time on the head and whether this is sooner of later after the initial application is governed by many factors, including local temperatures, your level of activity [leading to perspiration] and humidity in the atmosphere... I think if you de-bond more regularly you`ll have less of an issue with the clean-up as the glue will still be relatively stable and not tending to go tacky/messy.
I de-bond this thing nightly as my scalp is oily and I like to sleep with the system off my head.... I only use a few small strips of tape around the edge/s and flaps.
The problem you might have using glue and tapes together is that one will ` fail` before the other.....such as the tape may only last [ strong] for a week or so, while the glue is still solid.... I use Walker No -Shine.....last time I tried a longer-term hold, it lasted 3 days before it broke down on me and I had to de-bond it....some wearers get far longer holds using Walker, but that`s how it ` behaves` for me.... try increasing the frequency of your de/re routine while just using your glue and you may find that your clean-up time/s reduce as there should be less of a ` mess` ---it` s a trade-off really....... I could never get away with leaving a system on my head for that length of time..... I think leaving any adhesive material on your scalp for that long each time will eventually lead to skin irritations etc. [happened me in my ` Salon` days when an all-poly system was glued to my head for a month at a time !] I like to let the skin ` breath` as much as possible now ..... hope you find the glass dropper thing helpful.. it helps to get the lace -release to just the area where it`s needed.....I tend to wet the very edge of the lace where the first bit of tape is [ front hairline] allow it time to soak in/on, then gently lift the lace.. I then slide the tip of the dropper between the system and scalp over to the next strip of tape [ I don`t do an all-around -the-perimeter bond] and squeeze some more alcohol out there and allow it time to work...once I have the hairline de-bonded, I slide it down onto the flaps area and gradually free the lace there in the same manner......that way I keep most of it off the hair ! I then fold the system backwards, so only the nape /behind the ears is still bonded...just a few more drops onto those tapes and the system is off. Regularity should help you big-time.
08-02-2013, 09:41 AM,
i use walker no shine me too, but in my case for testing a new unit.
This tape surprised me last week, after 3 days, the bonding is always solid.

Yes, i'm ok with you, leaving any adhesive material on scalp during long each time is not a good solution, the scalp has need to breathe.

But, i don't have a choice for the moment, i don't found a work arround without hultra hold.

I'm not very happy with the idea to release my system every week or 2 weeks.... May be i going to try water based glue more easy for release and renew, but also less secure than Ultra Hold...

regards
08-02-2013, 12:53 PM,
Hey Joe,

You can spend less time on the de-re process if you have another piece ready for attachment when you remove the other one.

Also you can put the piece you've been wearing in a soak with some water mixed with citrus or even detergent or other products during few hours or one night, the cleaning will be easier.

Do you have a custom piece ? Because a SFS with temple flaps is the piece i really need but i can't get it through a stock unit, and 8 weeks is a bit too long, maybe i'm a bit scared or too lazy to make a template.
08-02-2013, 11:02 PM,
Hi Calvice !

Yes it's a custom piece, cut a old piece to make flaps is not very easy, and attach flaps not very simple, i think it's Mac Gyver way Smile
I prefer only one system with flaps, i suppose that's more simple to attach and more secure. Otherwise i'll have too scared to lose a flap
I'm noobs user with flaps, but if you will to achieve a awesome result, i think you must take the time to make a custom template, it's a necessary step mainly if you want that the system match perfectly your scalp and flaps to temples.
Believe me, for me the best result is achieved with this way.
08-03-2013, 02:35 PM,
Yea you must be right.

The funny thing is that i'm complaining since 2/3 months, and i could do 2 different templates with this delay.

Do you like the temple flaps on your custom piece ? It has to be less dense, i have tried to cut temple flaps from an old piece but it's very difficult even if i reduce the density, it looks a bit weird, the look is acceptable to go out on the street, but not to take the metro or tram !