Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
seborrheic eczem
07-10-2013, 11:00 AM,
seborrheic eczem
hello everybody,

I started losing my hair when i was 17, right now im 20 years old and have lost a lot of hair on the top of my head. Luckily I can still camouflage it somehow but my hair keeps getting thinner..

This is why I have been looking into hairpieces and I must say that these pieces can look very good,
So when my hair becomes to thin I would like to start wearing a hairpiece.
However I have seborrheic eczem, this causes itchynes,oilynes and sometimes redness of the scalp.

Do I have options for wearing a hairpiece?? Im really affraid that it wont be a option for me and i have to shave my head..

I also would like to hear from people that have seborrheic eczem and are wearing hairpiece's to get their experiences, tips and do's/don'ts..

thanks
07-12-2013, 04:40 AM,
RE: seborrheic eczem
anybody?? really would like to hear some tips
07-12-2013, 07:47 AM,
It may be possible to wear a hair system with your scalp condition but it might be that you need to detach and reattach more regularly and possibly even leave the system off at night to allow your scalp to breath. it depends how badly your eczema effects you ( i know there are different levels of this and other types of eczema) and whether you have to have regular access to the scalp to apply cream or something. Just doing a perimeter bond with a short term tape or adhesive might be the way to go if you do try it. if this is fine and doesn't make your condition any worse then you could consider switching to a longer term bond but i'd start out with something less likely to irritate your scalp. some tapes and glues are medical grade so they are made in sterile conditions and may therefore be less likely to cause any irritation.
07-12-2013, 07:50 AM,
I had a bout of some type of skin disorder on my scalp quite a few years ago. The symptoms were similar to what I see when I search psoriasis. I would get itchy, dry patches of skin that would form this scab/scale-like stuff. If I'd remove the scabs, it would bleed and weep for awhile. This was a disaster for bonding my unit as some of this was right underneath the bond. I recall having to rebond every day...it was bad. I used some type of Neutrogena Shampoo that helped a little (when the unit was off), and I was resigned to having to go to a dermatologist, but then it just stopped.

I don't know how similar what you have is to what I experienced, but it was very difficult to continue to wear my unit. I would say that if your condition doesn't result in your skin "scaling" or otherwise producing a layer that sloughs off it shouldn't be too terribly bad, but then again if this occurs where you bond (i.e. perimeter of the unit) you could be in for some trouble.

Perhaps it might be best to consult a dermatologist before this gets to be a problem?