Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tape Cure Time
06-16-2013, 12:56 PM,
Tape Cure Time
Just a general question, how long do you have to wait to shampoo after a new attachment with tape. Is 6 hous enough of a curing time?
06-17-2013, 10:31 PM,
RE: Tape Cure Time
I attach my tape and take a shower immediately, wash and condition the unit on my head and the tape stays firm. Been doing that for years.
06-18-2013, 08:19 AM,
Sebtizzle/msebas --- hope this answers both your questions: Tapes don`t need ` cure times` in the same way that glue does .... most glues need a full 24 hours before you can safely sweat / expose it to moisture etc. You`re using Safegrip -- that`s a glue I think ? It`s usual for skin -wearers to apply an all-over application of glue, otherwise you can get a hollow sound if you tap the base if it`s just a perimeter bond, as air is trapped under it..also if someone casually ran their hand across it, they`d possibly feel ` movement` in the centre of it..... it`s quite possible to use tape with skin systems in which case a perimeter bond and a strip of tape across the middle front-to-back helps hold down the middle section... showering / exposing a skin system to water in the shower should have no bearing on your tape or glue as the skin is largely impermeable and in any case, the glue/s tapes are not affected by water when relatively newly-applied....... towards the end of a ` long -term` bond, the adhesive materials can become unstable /weak and water can then affect the hold....my guess is that your body physiology is such that that particular glue is not holding/lasting as long as you might hope for.....it`s trial and error with bonding materials until you find one which ` works` for you... I see some guys getting really long-term hold with Walker no-shine tape.....the most I get out of it is 3 days max !! .....we`re all different....have you tried Proflex tapes at all ? I read they are really strong /give good hold with relatively easy clean-up.... I have some but never used them yet ! Just Google ProFlex tape and you`ll get suppliers ..... hope that helps !
06-18-2013, 03:42 PM,
Thank you Paul thats what I thought that no cure time was needed. I have used Supertape and I swore by it but all of a sudden it did not work for me anymore, guess my body chemistry was changing and not in sync with the tape. Then I switched to Walker noshine and it was also very good. Have tried Proflex mini tabs and they are amazing, the hold is good and the fact that they are mini tabs it is so easy to contour the whole piece. I now am with Stick It Tape and I LOVE it. The hold although not as good as the Profrlex mini tabs or the Walker what makes up for it , is the fact that there is virtually NO CLEAN UP to do.I apply 99% alcohol all arround, wait 5 minutes and I take off my system give it a clean up with Dawn dish soap a quick rince and ready to rebond. I find that having 3 or 4 different brands of tape is working good for me. Just started to rebond with Supertape again and it seems to be working for me again. Hope this info helps someone out there.
06-18-2013, 09:54 PM,
I wear a unit similar to the TL250 with pu on the sides and back. My tape is the non shine type in front and ultra hold on the sides and back. I change the tape every Sunday morning and as soon as I put the unit back on, I have a shower. It takes no more than 15 minutes from the time I remove it till it's back on.

I shower every day with my unit on and use shampoo and conditioner every morning. Then I use Wella reflections oil on the semi dry hair and style. My own hair is rather thin and gets very oily so I do need to wash every day, if I don't you can then clearly see the difference between my own hair and the unit.

I buy 4 units per year and each lasts at least three months, but I could do four months. The color only starts fading by the middle of month three but not drastically.

If you have a new unit you need to wash it a few times before fitting it for the first time. If not then the tape will not stick properly.

I now have a unit with pu all round on order as I wear a style that does not really warrant a lace front. I will then have an even more secure hold.

Oldwearer.