Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avoiding shedding, anything else I've missed?
04-25-2013, 07:08 AM,
Avoiding shedding, anything else I've missed?
Hey everyone

So my new piece arrived today and unlike my last two I want to try and stop it from shedding.It has been in the same place each time.

These are the tips I have picked up from the forum and I'd like to know if I have missed anything, please chime in if anyone else has any other suggestions!

1.Avoid wearing hats and hoods.
2.Try a satin pillow case to cut down on friction whilst sleeping
3.Use knot sealer (I never have but this time i definitely will)
4.When shampooing, do not rub into the hair.
5.Use a shampoo without sodium lauryl sulphate
6.Make sure when detaching the piece that I really get enough lace release between the piece and scalp to avoid pull through.

I also wondered if the shorter the hair equals less shedding? I would assume a longer strand would more likely rub against pillows etc ?

So yes please let me know if there is anything else I can do

thanks very much
04-25-2013, 07:19 AM,
RE: Avoiding shedding, anything else I've missed?
If you always thin in the same spot, it would lead me to think that is where you are sleeping on it more. Nothing else you mentioned should really lead to thinning in just one spot.

I tend to fold my pillow so it is my face resting on the pillow instead of the hair...to a certain extent. I have always done that since wearing to try and minimize wear. Can't say it stays like that all night, but that's what I aim for. I use a chiropractic pillow, so it has kind of folds in it..so it bends nicely. Next time I want to try a buckwheat husk pillow which I have slept on before away from home, and liked alot.
04-25-2013, 07:22 AM,
Hey Wicky, yea i did think that, its always right in the same place which is why I'm getting a satin or silk pillow case.I do want to make sure I'm doing as much as possible though to prevent shedding.
04-25-2013, 07:30 AM,
yeah..they are all good things to do. I use a silk pillow case, sulfate free shampoo. I do wear hats to the gym, sometimes playing tennis, and if im just not feeling the doo for the day. To me, its just holding tight to head, so don't see any difference wearing it..if it was moving around causing friction, etc, may be different for me.
04-25-2013, 08:48 AM,
Wicky, do you ever see much shedding, after how long?
04-25-2013, 11:29 AM,
Don't forget to use a charcoal shower filter. It filters out most of the chemicals in water and makes the water soft--it's easier on your hair. You will notice a difference in your hair and your skin. You can pick one up for about $40 from Home Depot or Lowe's. It just screws onto your shower head--easy.
Regards,
John
http://toplace.com/
04-26-2013, 07:16 AM,
I think people are bit too obsessed about cleaning the hair, when its really the base that's dirty, not the hair.
Simply rinsing the hair in just water between attachments or using a mild baby shampoo seems to work for me without causing problems.
04-26-2013, 07:34 PM,
I totally agree with you Hersute.

I've cut way back on using shampoo on my units, except once or twice a month, and have definitely noticed that they don't shed nearly as much or dry out as soon as they used to when I used shampoo on them every de/re.

I clean them off my head by soaking them for a few minutes in a mixture of barely warm water with a little Kerasilk Ttreatment Conditioner mixed together instead of shampoo.

Whenever I use the shampoo, I dilute it down in warm water, too, instead of applying it directly to the hair to make it less harsh.

I've been using this method of cleaning my units for about a year now and I'm averaging at least an extra month longer before I see major shedding settting in than when I was shampooing them more often.
04-26-2013, 08:46 PM,
Diluting shampoo is a brilliant solution.
I'd never thought of that and yet it's a really simple idea.
And it must cut down on all the rinsing you need to do to get it out of the hair.
04-27-2013, 08:20 AM,
I use Kerasilk shampoo.