Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Day 2 of Wearing
04-14-2013, 09:01 PM,
Day 2 of Wearing
Hi all. I'm currently on day 2 of wearing a partial crown piece (after a first failed attempt a year ago). Just wondered if anyone else obsesses with the crown in their piece. I have a low density system and am terrified of the lace being visible. I've been scrutinising it under the downlights in my bathroom, and from about a foot away, you can see a grid pattern.

I work in an open plan office so have people looking over me a lot, so the crown is particularly important to me to get right. There is a shine from the glue, which I think is fuelling my paranoia.

I have to keep reminding myself; "who else is going to be looking at your crown as closely as this?". Maybe I've set my expectations a little too high and should realise that a hair system is not going to be completely undetectable........or just maybe not to someone who is looking for it.

Has anyone else gone through this when first starting to wear? Or is it just me?

EDIT: I've just read the post by bamac22 (http://www.forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=5716) Brilliant and encouraging post, which makes me wonder; maybe the problem is with me, and no one else is going to notice.

Here's a quick pic. Any opinions would be gratefully received.

Attached Files Image(s)

04-14-2013, 11:19 PM,
RE: Day 2 of Wearing
I can't see an obvious grid pattern.
What are you attaching with, glue or tape?
Glue is best for disguising lace.

We all have to adjust to the fact that sometimes the real problem is whats IN our heads and not whats ON them!

For you is still VERY early days and apprehension is perfectly normal.
It gets better......I promise!
04-14-2013, 11:21 PM,
Looks fine to me---you`re over-stressing...relax. You`re [as you said] ` scrutinising` ...others around you aren`t /won`t.
04-15-2013, 04:38 AM,
Looks fine. You can always increase the density a bit on your next order.If you are worried about the shine try ORWG or any water-based white glue...Also there is a product called stop shine (you can get it from HD) that works very well.
04-15-2013, 04:55 AM,
A light dusting of baby powder or dry shampoo will kill that shine easilly. Apply the powder with with a makeup brush or makeup sponge directly to any area that's showing a shine... Works great and cheap too!
04-15-2013, 05:32 AM,
Thanks for the replies fellas. I think it is a case of me just getting used to it. Just been out in public for the first time and couldn't believe how self conscious I felt. I'm sure it will get easier.

Its attached with glue and still feels tacky in places. I'll give the baby powder thing a try. Just in one spot to test first.
04-15-2013, 12:55 PM,
That's the one thing I haven't been able to overcome as of yet. Been wearing for almost a year and half and even though assured from family and by mirror that it looks good I am always thinking people are looking at my hair. Does anybody else obsess like that? lol.
04-15-2013, 01:06 PM,
No, I dont. Someone said, " people with hair "assume" you have hair. They dont walk around searching for the toupee. We are always our own worst critics !!
04-15-2013, 02:07 PM,
Dude it looks great, forget what everyone else is saying. i appreciate the comment about my post! but its the truth! your confidence will overpower any insecurity on your hair man! you took a huge step! be proud of yourself! you look great, practice makes perfect and with time you'll get the piece to look the way you want!
04-15-2013, 11:14 PM,
EricInNY,

Not to scare you or newbies reading this, but it took me at least 5 years to stop thinking about my hair constantly.
I still dream about it being detected, even though in 15 years thats never happened and in real life I don't think it would bother me anymore if it did happen.

I have a theory (based upon nothing scientific!) that the longer you spend worrying and thinking about your balding hair before you decide to wear, the longer it takes to adjust to wearing.

I went for years (too many) using more and more concealers and towards the end it took longer and longer to get it to look even halfway decent. The more concealer I had to use, the more conscious I was about how it looked.
I was spending an inordinate amount of my time fixated with hair!
In that time I created a pattern/habit of constantly thinking about my hair and I think breaking that repetitive thought pattern took a long time.
On top of that you have the natural concerns about wearing hair and so that adds to the problem.
At one stage I even thought about having hypnosis to stop my brain from repeating these same thoughts.
But as it didn't work for me with smoking, I didn't ever get around to it.

That was just my experience and as you hear often said, I just wish I'd started wearing sooner.

I think as you encounter new and feared situations (swimming, seeing people you've not seen in ages, different lighting conditions etc. etc.) and you get through them with no problem, you can gradually cross these things off your mental list.

It DOES get better and easier, I promise you!!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
@bamac22
I'm not quite sure why you're telling Bollo to forget what everybody else is saying when so far everyone has been positive, supportive, understanding and assuring him that he's worrying unnecessarily?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
@Bollo
Instead of baby powder that might leave a white residue, you could try a quick spray of 'Dry Shampoo' (which is a clear powder in a can) used to freshen up hair in between wet washes.
You can get this stuff anywhere and it will reduce shine.
PS. I also forgot to say that I can't spot where your crown piece stops and natural hair starts, so you've nailed the colour match and blend.

Also, now you've sorted the rug for your head, you can start thinking about one for your floor!!! ;-)