Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another thin skin thread!
03-07-2013, 01:03 AM,
Another thin skin thread!
I am even more keen to try a thin skin after reading all the other recent threads about them. My reluctance to order is because of the glue attachment that most prefer. I have only worn tape for the past 30 plus years and do not want to change from that.

Now I would like to hear from those that wear theirs with tape please!

Do you wear a 0.03 or 0.08 or somewhere in between, or maybe even more?

Have you tried both v-looped and injected and which one do you prefer (thiness of the skin will obviously dictate)?

Do you experience the scratchy sound everybody talks about? I have worn monofilament for years and it made a sound when you brushed it but not really when you touched it.

Does it feel hot?

How often do you change the tape?

Does it look natural? I have a comb forward style so I am not worried about the hairline much. Does the top look OK though?

Any other pros or cons you can add?

Would appreciate your comments.
03-07-2013, 06:56 AM,
RE: Another thin skin thread!
Every type of skin sometimes can be different. For me personally the skin systems I have gotten, or at least the majority of them were a nightmare to work with tape. The thinner type skins, and I am not even talking about the extreme thinnest one don't work with tape well for me. I tried a bunch of tapes and I always had a very hard time getting the tape off the base cleanly. They would tear apart and leave a messy residue that took me forever to take off. This included even tapes like the no shine tape. Forget about strong tapes like blue tape..

One tape that I would recommend with poly is duo tac tape. That seemed to have worked the best for me. But even than I don't like wearing tape only on a full thin skin. When you just attach the perimeter you leave a gap of air between your scalp and the skin material. this generates heat, oil and sweat and feels uncomfortable to me. Plus the scalp makes a scratchy artificial sound when its not fully bonded.. If it were me and I was dead against glues but still wanted to wear a skin system I would use either got2b glued to attach the whole thing or use tape on the perimeter and got2b glued for the rest of the base. Everyones different.. sometimes things are subjective, but that is my two cents.
03-07-2013, 07:30 AM,
Why not try the G2BG route?
There seems to be a growing preference for this method with an all skin system.
The benefits that I can gather from this method is that it gives a good hold,you could remove and clean your scalp daily or every other day, there is none of the mess associated with either glue or tape, it is kinder to your scalp, removing at night is also an option which would prolong the life cycle of the system.
03-07-2013, 10:27 AM,
My biggest issue with G2BG is the hold. It holds decently for an average day, but there is often lifting (at least with lace) toward the end of the day. If you sweat in it (for me) it loosens a lot, then dries pretty securely again. I live a pretty active lifestyle and my friends are the type that might one second want to go rock climbing and the other second go hot tubbing. I wouldn't trust G2BG for either.... but I sure wish I could!
With skin my big concern is bubbles/waves. I haven't tried it so don't know, but if it isn't molded perfectly to your skin and can't be stretchy/manipulated like lace, won't it just have giant bubbles in it or big waves you can't secure down?
03-07-2013, 01:48 PM,
skin is best with an all glue attachment. In fact it's easy, but the thing I don't like about skin is that you can't stretch it like lace. With lace you can kind of play around with the hairline curvature. With skin, you try any stretching, your gonna get wrinkles that will never go away. And, if you don't do a full bond, when you pat it with your hand you'll hear a loud plastic type sound.

I heard of a glue that is expensive, but lasts well over a week called NX Gen Unifying Agent. I'm gonna try that next to see if I can go from weekly attachments that need touchups after 3 days, to two week attachments that need no touchups, other than a hairline cleaning.
03-07-2013, 03:49 PM,
So you really do have to get a skin system that fits your head perfectly huh? If it's off at all you won't be able to get it to match the curve of your forehead will you?
03-08-2013, 03:04 AM,
0.08 thin skin can be stretched a little. But just be careful not to stretch it too much and deform it. My last unit came back about an inch too short and I was able to stretch it over time to fit.
03-08-2013, 05:03 AM,
Have you ever received one that is too big? Or that it either curves too much or not enough to fit your scalp? I'm really paranoid about rippling. That has been my biggest challenge with lace and I wonder if skin is better or worse...
03-08-2013, 09:19 AM,
Yes almost all my Toplace pieces were either too big or too small.
03-08-2013, 11:24 AM,
Darn... that's a little discouraging. I was kinda getting my hopes up about skin...