Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knotted vs. Injected thin skin
03-03-2013, 04:35 AM,
Knotted vs. Injected thin skin
One of the subtle points of skin pieces I haven't seen a lot of clarity on is knotting vs injecting.

The best I have found is a post here:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/sho...INES/page2

"You can get a ThinSkin hairline that is 95% as invisible as lace, but it has to be knotted ThinSkin rather than injected ThinSkin. The reason is that a knotted ThinSkin base will be thinner than an injected ThinSkin base.

Drawback: Knots in ThinSkin can't be bleached. If you wear a combed-forward style, there's no problem. If you have light brown, blond or gray hair, you can expose your hairline because the knots are light in color and don't contrast very much with your skin color. "

I also found on another retailer's sites pictures of the two methods:

Knotted:
[Image: hd10.jpg]
[Image: micro-skin-large.jpg]

Injected:
[Image: hd23.jpg]
[Image: remi-skin-large.jpg]

I wonder what you guys think about this and if you have had experience with both. Some retailers seem to be quite ambiguous about what they are offering. It looks like TL does the injected skin but not the knotted skin?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.
03-03-2013, 05:51 AM,
RE: Knotted vs. Injected thin skin
The first hair picture looks suspiciously like v-loop?
Are you sure it is knotted hair?
03-03-2013, 06:01 AM,
Yes, that is what they specify. They also offer vlooping as a separate entity:

V-looped:
[Image: hd14.jpg]
[Image: cthru-skin-large.jpg]

So there are clearly 3 distinct ways of ventilating skin, not just the two we always talk about.
03-03-2013, 08:44 AM,
I think a combo of injected thin skin with an ultra thin skin (0.3 mm) front is the best you can get for a skin piece especially for those with dark brown/black hair. You get the most natural scalp appearance from the injected skin and the invisibility of the ultra thin skin (no edge) at the hairline. I actually ordered one (Not from TL) and I should receive it in about 10 days.
03-03-2013, 09:01 AM,
Would a knotted system with blond front and dyed at home be an option?
03-03-2013, 09:35 AM,
The advantages of the knotting vs injection as I see it is that the hair direction should be more like lace in that you should be able to comb it more easily in any direction, since the hairs are not sealed into place.

In addition, it might have less of that stiff "doll hair" look the injection seems to give.

Durability would probably be a bit lower, though I expect still good.

As for the visibility of the knots, in the picture with dark hair I do not see any knots through the base, though this could be different in person. The only thing I see unusual about the knotted skin is you can see it has a slightly irregular surface, likely due to the tiny knots under the skin creating little bumps. I doubt this would be too visible in real life. Still certainly less visible than the exposed grid or knots you might get with lace.

Personally, I'm leaning to trying the injected skin with 1/8'' v-loop hairline, which I have seen some retailers offer.
03-03-2013, 10:49 AM,
If you zoom in on that first picture it is most definatly v-looped, no matter what they say!
You can clearly see the single hair going in, along underneath the skin and then out of the skin.
03-03-2013, 11:07 AM,
Yes I see - I think you are right.
03-04-2013, 04:40 AM,
I would be very interested to know how an ultra thin skin front would look with blonde knotted hairs and colored dark brown. Would this give a more realistic hairline than lace or equal to it?
03-04-2013, 04:54 AM,
Good Thinking ! Never thought about that combo which could be a real winner and rival lace ! ?

Might have to look into that :

say first 1/2 inch single knotted blonde thinskin
and the balance of the base...injected !!

WOW...could be a winner !

Thats why I love these forums....still learning after 50 years !! Smile

Thanks Hairenough....good thinking outside the box !!

Thanks,
johnny/abq/50yrs