Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full cap Poly
02-18-2013, 02:27 AM,
Full cap Poly
TL 100 vs TL 150.

for full cap, where does the poly end and begin exactly.

when it states "3/4" poly on back and sides", does the poly strip only lie only behind the ears?

also is it just like polyskin (TL400) or is it something else?

also does someone have a screenshot of what poly looks like?
02-22-2013, 07:03 AM,
RE: Full cap Poly
Here's my take on poly edges... Sucks!

When I was with HD I got 2 toppers with poly edge and I really didnt like for the following reasons:

1) There's a huge edge that can be felt
2) The hair is implanted into the poly - so if they don't get the direction and stance correct you wont be able to train it. With me they inserted the hair straight up and it was puffy which made it impossible to match my own finer and flatter hair
3) You can see it in sun light, there's skin showing then all of a sudden there is a band then more skin, looked terrible.
4) There was ALWAYS a density difference AND it ALWAYS had less hair right on the edge before the poly so it let a line of bald areas visible.

I tried it with my full cap (as a recommendation) and it really sucked for all the above reasons PLUS the biggest reason NOT to use it with a cap is it's not as flexible and in the nape area it made it impossible to keep attached and was very uncomfortable. It dug into my neck when I moved my head so I walked around with a stiff looking head!

So I finally just cut off that poly and now it's just lace and I can tell you the attachment is far more secure, my neck is far more flexible and it just plain feels better.

I will never ever use a poly perimeter again.

As a side note: I left 1/2" of my own hair at the temple area, around the ears and 1" on the nape. Looks far more natural but the BEST reason to leave +1" of your own hair on the nape is now you can attach the cap just above where your skin folds. This is more comfortable and gives you a better/stronger attachment because it's slightly above the area that moves and flex's.

Lee
02-22-2013, 07:19 AM,
so do you end the lace just at the occipital bone.

and is the poly material the same as thinskin.

right now I have thinskin base anyway, I can never get any area below occipital bone to hold firm, it's only 1" of material of course but still.
02-22-2013, 07:30 AM,
I ended it right where my skin folded which is on the upper edge of the bone. I suppose the skin will fold in different locations with everyone but if you can leave some of you own hair and attach at the skin fold you will get the most comfortable and secure attachment.

I have no idea if they are the same material but understand it will always be thicker/heavier because you have 2 layers - lace and poly. This leaves a very deep ledge that you can feel and see. I suppose if you have a high density unit it will be less visible but I think mine is 60% if I remember right.

That 1" below the bone is a huge problem with regards to attaching. I bet no matter how you attach it, it will be difficult to hold properly.

As a side note with regards to leaving some of you own hair - God help anyone that see's me if I have to go the hospital or get caught without the full cap on because it looks absolutely ridiculous and scary, very emotional the first time you shave off most you own hair!
02-22-2013, 10:10 AM,
yeah I don't understand why someone would make a template and take into account base material below the bone, its totally useless it will never hold there, I plan to cut away that 1" as i don't see the point in it at all.

I think it is standard practice to do that, looking at template examples usually it indicates you are supposed to take into account about an inch below the bone.
02-22-2013, 10:40 AM,
Obviously if you shave your head then you'll have to go that extra inch or so otherwise it might look weird so I guess anyone thinking about a full cap should be aware of this and plan on leaving some of your own hair on your neck.
02-22-2013, 10:44 AM,
well I do shave my head, but if I attach a full-cap system and the template ends just at the bone, if I leave excess hair (that belongs to the system) it actually looks normal, how would someone be able to disguise between the hair growing from the bone downwards anyway?
02-22-2013, 12:27 PM,
lee99,
Please remember that you're basing your opinions on a competitor's units, Hair Direct, and not a TopLace product. How HD products turnout are not necessarily how TopLace would make the unit. As an example, Toplace uses an light weight poly on the back and sides as our customers have requested it--it's standard now in our full cap orders. Our factory offers different thicknesses of poly and we chose a thinner poly that is more undetectable.
Regards,
John
http:www//toplace.com/
02-22-2013, 12:46 PM,
ok is the "poly" around the back and sides like the material found in the TL400?
02-22-2013, 04:22 PM,
Um.. I also have your full cap, same deal, sorry. I'm just not a fan of poly, others may love it.

When the wind blows or when your shirt collar gets up into the nape area having some of your natural hair there helps hide the edge that's most likely come loose and lifted!