Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY cut-in.
02-16-2013, 07:56 AM,
DIY cut-in.
I have heard people say that they use robocut or clippers.

http://hairjive.com/blog/2010/04/22/gues...-full-cap/

Jrob "I have moved away from using the robocut to using clippers. I have attachments as long as an inch and a half."

can I ask what are the advantages of clippers vs. robocut.

and by clippers is Jrob referring to standard buzz cut type clippers, and can you really just use clippers on a 6" hairpiece?

what are the advantages of clippers vs. robocut, I am assuming with clippers you can only have a very short haircut or something?
02-16-2013, 09:46 AM,
RE: DIY cut-in.
You have it correct fullcapwearer, I personally have a flowbee which is the same as robocut but another brand. With these devices you will have a hard time with shorter cuts, they are really made for longer styles (I'd say over 2" in length).

Clippers on the other hand are ideal for shorter styles and yes he is referring to normal everyday hair clippers. Now most clippers only have attachments up to 1" but if you look on amazon you can find longer attachments for them.

hope this helps.
02-16-2013, 10:23 AM,
ah I see what he means by "i have attachments as long as an inch and a half" - he is refering to his grades he has on the clippers.

well he seems to get a very good style with clippers himself!

ok this is what I have now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BaByliss-For-Men...B003ZPGXAI

it comes with grades 1-4, and grade #4 is 0.5".

OK I have searched and can find grades #5 to #12, and 12 is 1.5"

I have never done this before but I assume it wont be too difficult to cut a hairpiece I buy here with a regular set of clippers?

I guess the only real benefit to robocut/flowbee is you get most of the hair in a vacuum, then you can use clippers to make it a bit shorter, whereas if you use clippers with no robocut/flowbee there is a big cleanup involved.

would you say the above is true?

is it easier to use clippers with the hair bonded to your head, or is it easier to use clippers when it is sitting on a styofoam head?
02-16-2013, 12:00 PM,
I would say you hit the nail on the head with your above statements. I think using clippers would be easier with the system bonded.
02-16-2013, 12:12 PM,
I agree with Porcupine, easier when its actually on your head.
The blades and different length guards rely on there being a solid surface to run along and that would usually be your scalp.
But...... clippers do take getting used to using and you could REALLY muck up a piece if you don't know what your doing.

When you first start using them, run the clippers in the direction the hair lays.
So on the back of your head, run them down from the crown to your nape.

This will give you an idea of how much hair they can take off and means you can practice without causing any real problems or cutting away too much hair in one chunk.

Ultimately you run them in the opposite direction to how the hair lays and by reducing the guard size, you create a graduated fade.