Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for appropriate hair piece (photos)
04-28-2013, 04:27 PM,
RE: Advice for appropriate hair piece (photos)
Here is a video on cutting lace.

If you do it properly, you won't harm the lace.
http://bit.ly/hC6Sqj
And here is a thread with more information:
http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=5646
04-28-2013, 07:33 PM,
this is kinda scary

can I cut some of the hair area off? of will that destroy the lace
04-28-2013, 09:24 PM,
I think you are not referring to simply trimming off the excess lace which comes with all new systems....you mean the system is bigger than your thin/bald area. This can be tricky for a newbie, but as long as you take care, you can do it easily enough.
The best /safest way to do it is to get a styrofoam head-form and pin your system to it, lace-side up [hair will be in contact with the styro-head]..... T-pins are best as they`ll prevent the system moving...don`t over-stretch the lace when you pin it down...just slight ` tension` is enough.
Make a template [using kitchen-film and sellotape] of the area of the head, to be covered.... make sure it`s pretty ` solid` / rigid. It will obviously be concave in shape [as it`s made to the contour of your head-shape] This is hard to describe in words, without pics, but once made, sit it on a flat surface [table] then press down firmly from on top so that it ` pops` kind of ` inside-out` ---in other words, the perimeter now, instead of being in contact with the table, is now facing the ceiling and what was , before, the ` dome` [highest point] is now in contact with the table !....... take it and sit it onto the lace so that the bit that is / was sitting on your front hairline, is now sitting directly at the front hairline of the system [ lined-up with the front].......pin it down in a few places, all around the edge.......obviously, as the template is smaller than the system, you`ll have ` excess` lace all around the outer edge of the template. You trim off the ` excess` lace all the way around by using a sharp blade ..... one of those Hobby-knives is ideal...DON`T cut down into/through the lace, but rather draw the blade ` across` the lace surface in a sawing-motion...if you cut down into the lace, you`ll slice through hairs underneath which you actually require/need to keep.......all you want is to slice gently across the fabric [lace] and it will part from the rest of the system------- you should never cut around the front hairline area , as this will ruin the look of the front..hence you always pin the template to the very front to avoid cutting the very front.....it`s ok to trim at the ` side` [near the front] if that be the shape of the template...that would represent the temple area/s of your head, but by pinning the template on exactly ` at` the very front-edge, you ` keep` the natural look which is built-in at the factory.
The lace is relatively delicate [yet hard-wearing too !] so it`s very easy to trim it but always just draw your blade ` across` the surface of the lace ONLY ....never push the blade down through it.
Hopefully I`ve explained it in a way you can follow !
04-29-2013, 12:17 PM,
that was the answer that I was looking for.

YEP! Scaryyyyyyyyyy

but I will see what I can do.

btw I was stupid enough to cut my hair last week before the system arrived....:-S
now I have to wait till it grows again.

Also, does anyone have an idea on what hairstyle I should pick?
04-29-2013, 05:56 PM,
Umm..Ever heard of thank you??!
04-29-2013, 06:56 PM,
Sorry, I am actually at work while I sent that e-mail.

my apologies for not being more sincere. :-)
05-01-2013, 04:21 AM,
Hi Greeko,

Good to see you're almost ready.

Here are a couple of videos that you might find helpful. These two are in Spanish, but they still contain a lot of good visuals of all the necessary steps involved with the process, including making the template, placement, styling, etc.

Hair Replacement, Start to Finish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBfDFtGcsL4

Cutting the lace (or any type base) to match the template:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOokqYHSznA

There are many great videos to watch on YouTube concerning hair replacement. Just type what ever topic you're looking for into the search field. Example: "hair system attachment", "hair system template", "hair replacement", etc.

Check out this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzmHSIu9mWE

Use the next couple of weeks while you're letting your hair grow out to learn as much as you can from all the hair replacement forums and YouTube videos as possible!
05-01-2013, 11:56 AM,
Hey Rscout,

Thanks a lot for the information. :-)

I have also found a lady that is making her own wigs which is very popular. She has made some of the wigs for Prince of Persia The movie and also did a lot of work for the british tv show "Little Britain".
http://www.rinaldiwigs.com.au

I have spoken with her and she told me to go see her on the 11th to have a look at the unit and see how she can trim it.
I think she will be able to do a good job as she has a lot of years of experience.

At the same time I am doing some research to find some more hairdressers in melbourne that specialize with hair pieces. Most of the websites that I have found either dont have a lot of information or the hairdresser is only for the company and the dont take clients that have not bought the hairpiece from them(theirs costs around 500$)

hmmmm. I will gather some more information and add it to my post.

I am sure there will be plenty of current/future users that might need it :-)

Will keep you posted.

Greeko1987
05-01-2013, 07:07 PM,
and lets hope I dont end up looking like Vicki Pollard

Attached Files Image(s)

05-07-2013, 06:30 PM,
Hey guys,

I have just been having a looking online for various maintenance, gels, shampoos, conditioners and other products that are needed to keep to keep the hairpiece looking new, natural and make it last longer.
However, there seems to be waaaaaay too many of them out there.
From personal experience which ones do you think would be most necessary and enough for every day use?

Also, I have the appointment on saturday with the lady that specializes on hairpieces and she will be cutting the lace for me to fit just right on my head.

As soon as I do that, I will post a picture of it here so you can all see it :-D

Thanks

Greeko1987 :-)